PDA

View Full Version : Veneering solid wood for small parts

Alan Kalker
04-10-2018, 1:35 PM
Ordinarily, if one wants to veneer solid wood they should have the veneer follow the grain of the core to minimize cracking or loosening of the glue bond. But, sometimes that can be a problem.

I would like to make some salt shakers from a solid core as it is easy to drill out. But they would not be very interesting to look at. So I would ike to veneer the outside.

Question 1 - Given the small size of salt shakers (probably 1 1/2" square by 2 - 3" tall) how much do I need to worry about wood movement over the core if I apply the veneer againt the grain? I want to do that because some of the designs I have in mind would have some stripes that would run horizontally.

Question 2 re: glue - I have usually veneered with Ultra-CAT glue in a vacuumn press. A vacumn would be harder to set up with small items and, for production work, very time consuming. So I was planning to just clamp individual pieces which should be easy with small parts. What kind of glue would you use? Would cold press glue work well for that or would you still use the Ultr-CAT? A salt shaker might be dropped on the floor but are not usually stressed in every day use.

Question 3 - Veneer thickness - Usually I keep my veneers between 1/16" - 3/32" to minimize movement and I would still do that for the ones that went across the grain. Would that still be necessary if they ran with the grain? Although they are different woods, there is not great differences in expansion properties between the woods I will be using but there will be some.
Thanks

John TenEyck
04-10-2018, 1:40 PM
I think it will be fine using your 1/16" veneer with common Titebond glue. The area is no different than large M&T joints where the mating surfaces are cross grain and survive just fine.

John

Jim Becker
04-10-2018, 8:41 PM
I agree with John...'doubtful you'll have any issue with veneering for appearance regardless of the grain of the underlying substrate. The biggest challenge will be getting the corners perfect. :)

Wayne Lomman
04-11-2018, 5:02 AM
Wood movement will be minimal. Don't forget the items are largely hollow so not much timber left. Machine them and let them stabilise which won't take long. It won't be much different to decorative inlay in a tabletop which works. Cheers