PDA

View Full Version : Neiko 3/8" Close Quarter Drill - Bearing out again

Thomas Canfield
04-09-2018, 8:33 PM
The Neiko angle drill I put in sanding service first of September '17 gave out today. I bought the extended 3 years of warranty from Square Trade and called them only to find out that the first year is covered by manufacturer. Of course, the operating/instruction manual does not even have the manufacturer's nave much less address or contact. I then contacted Amazon and of course they knew nothing except you could send in a request for the manufacturers warranty. Amazon customer service did send email to Neiko to determine what the recourse will be. Maybe I just need to wait a few months and then get Square Trade to handle it under the extended warranty.

All that said, I did order a replacement unit(and extended warranty option) to continue sanding. I have had 2 or 3 other Neiko drills in the past and a Milwaukee also. It seems all fail in the same manner with the rear bearing getting hot and turning in the plastic housings. Bummer, but usually I do get 2 or 3 years minimum life. I have the little pneumatic orbital sander from Woodturner Wonders but hate to hear the 2 HP compressor running to do sanding.

Update on warranty replacement to follow in few days.

CHARLES D Richards
04-09-2018, 9:07 PM
I tried one of those and the same thing happened. Now I use the Harbor Freight close quater drill and buy the extended warranty. I usually burn them up in about 12- 18 months then go get another one for $6 with the warranty. The vent hole for the gears are in a better position on the HF drill so the dust doesn't kill it as fast as others.

John K Jordan
04-09-2018, 9:17 PM
The Neiko angle drill I put in sanding service first of September '17 gave out today. ... the first year is covered by manufacturer...

Maybe wait until Sept?

...and a Milwaukee also. It seems all fail in the same manner with the rear bearing getting hot and turning in the plastic housings. Bummer, but usually I do get 2 or 3 years minimum life. ...

Do you blow the dust out often? Before I quit power sanding with a rotating disk I used the Milwaukee a lot but blew the dust out after every use.

These days when I want to power sand I use a Grex random orbital sander with 2" disks. I like this far better than the drill. I also have the ROS that Rizza sells but I think it's too big for a lot of work. I put the 5hp air compressor in a sound-insulated closet to keep the noise from annoying me.

JKJ

Leo Van Der Loo
04-10-2018, 12:12 AM
The Neiko angle drill I put in sanding service first of September '17 gave out today. I bought the extended 3 years of warranty from Square Trade and called them only to find out that the first year is covered by manufacturer. Of course, the operating/instruction manual does not even have the manufacturer's nave much less address or contact. I then contacted Amazon and of course they knew nothing except you could send in a request for the manufacturers warranty. Amazon customer service did send email to Neiko to determine what the recourse will be. Maybe I just need to wait a few months and then get Square Trade to handle it under the extended warranty.

All that said, I did order a replacement unit(and extended warranty option) to continue sanding. I have had 2 or 3 other Neiko drills in the past and a Milwaukee also. It seems all fail in the same manner with the rear bearing getting hot and turning in the plastic housings. Bummer, but usually I do get 2 or 3 years minimum life. I have the little pneumatic orbital sander from Woodturner Wonders but hate to hear the 2 HP compressor running to do sanding.

Update on warranty replacement to follow in few days.

Best thing to do with these drills is to replace the shielded bearing with a sealed bearing before you start using it.

I did repair the housing on my Milwaukee drill with some epoxy and replaced the bearing, it is still working fine now.

I did a write-up a while ago on how, it is a bit complicated, but can be done.

This is the writer-up

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?257733-Angle-Drill-for-Sanding-Failure&p=2726335#post2726335

and the picture and parts layout of these drills, The Neiko and the Milwaukee drills, those are identical as far as I know.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?257733-Angle-Drill-for-Sanding-Failure&p=2726541#post2726541