PDA

View Full Version : Saw Stop Or Incra miter gauge. Choose one - not both

Prashun Patel
04-09-2018, 1:13 PM
I love my Sawstop.
I love my Incra miter gauge.

I hate them together.

I just tripped the brake for the 3rd time in about 5 years. Every time it's the same thing: change the angle of the cut and the distance of the aluminum backer to the blade changes. I know better. I am still doomed to repeat this stupid mistake again, I fear.

3 brakes, 3 blades, 3 pairs of underwear. All ruined ...

Edwin Santos
04-09-2018, 1:20 PM
Hi,
Why exactly does the Incra miter gauge trip the sawstop? Is the aluminum coming into actual contact with the blade?

If yes, would you consider permanently attaching a wood facing to the face of the Incra and have it overhang just enough so that no matter what angle you use, it would only be the wood fence that would hit the blade? They designed the extrusion with the t-slot so sacrificial and extension fences would be easy to attach and slide around. As a bonus, you'd gain zero clearance backing also. Hope this is useful.

Edwin,

Peter Christensen
04-09-2018, 1:48 PM
Ha! Ha! You're not alone. I've done it twice with my Osborne doing the same. Forgetting to pull the fence back after doing an angled cut with the fence set close to the blade. It's been awhile since I did it so "maybe" I've learned and won't do it again. :rolleyes:

mreza Salav
04-09-2018, 2:05 PM
Fortunately I have not made that mistake yet!
I rarely use the miter gauge though (and whenever I use I am super careful just because of this). For standard angle cuts I have a few "triangles" made and I place them on my cross-cut sled and simply use them. For longer pieces that need 45 degree (picture frame) I have a dedicated sled that use.

glenn bradley
04-09-2018, 2:06 PM
I added aWooden flag to the end of my gauge extrusion. I’ll try to post pics once I’m not on my phone.

Prashun Patel
04-09-2018, 2:58 PM
I do all of the above: wood extrusion auxiliary fence, use a plywood sled whenever possible. I am also super careful. It's easy to be super careful 99.9% of the time. It's hard to do it 100% of the time - and Murphy works 100% of the time.

To save money on buying a protractor or bevel angle finder, I decided to make some set up blocks. $90 later I could have bought some pretty nice protractors.

Charles Coolidge
04-09-2018, 3:19 PM
Has the Sawstop saved you even once in that 5 years?

Jake Hillestad
04-09-2018, 3:27 PM
Incra by a long shot

Prashun Patel
04-09-2018, 3:39 PM
I don't want to ignite that debate, Charles. For me, I like my Sawstop just fine. I'm making no judgment of its safety value - just my carelessness.

Mark Carlson
04-09-2018, 4:22 PM
I don't want to ignite that debate, Charles. For me, I like my Sawstop just fine. I'm making no judgment of its safety value - just my carelessness.

You just answered your own question. Keep the saw stop. I also like edwin's suggestion, which means you can keep both.

Charles Coolidge
04-09-2018, 4:23 PM

Fair enough. I have considered purchasing a Sawstop machine mostly because I'm concerned about getting older and my attention slipping. My grandfather lost a finger and great grandfather lost a thumb on a table saw. Both when they were in their 60's I'm 55 now. If I were younger I'd choose the Incra over the Sawstop safety, today I'm kind of leaning towards Sawstop. That's the only reason why I asked if it has saved you yet.

Ed Pollock
04-09-2018, 4:51 PM
Is it ever necessary to have the miter gauge with the extrusion far enough over so that it could hit the blade when adjusted back to 90? When you have the extrusion close to the blade at 90, and then move it to 45, how far from the blade is the extrusion now?

I have a sawstop and have considered getting an incra miter gauge or miter 5000 sled. I did not think about the possibility of this happening. But then again probably 95% of my cuts are at 90 degrees...

Brett Luna
04-09-2018, 5:50 PM
I gave my Incra one minor ding on the old saw but haven't yet on the SawStop. I'm sure part of the reason is that I have it set to clear the blade guard, which I've been using as much as possible, for safety of course...and to take advantage of the overarm dust collection. I do intend to put a sacrificial face on it but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ben Rivel
04-09-2018, 5:51 PM
Got the same setup, use a fence on the aluminum extrusion fence thats on the Incra miter gauge and adjust the aluminum fence over away from the blade such that no matter what angle its set at it doesnt come close to the blade and only the sacrificial fence does.

Mike Cutler
04-09-2018, 5:57 PM
No matter which direction you choose, the fence material has to change. Might as well attach a sacrificial fence to your Incra miter gauge. You can mark the top of the sacrificial fence with a reminder to adjust for cuts other than 90 degrees
I did that once with my Incra fence, on a non Sawstop TS. That scared me enough. Can't imagine what it's like with that brake mechanism.:eek:

David Ragan
04-09-2018, 7:21 PM
Love my SS...

Bill Sutherland
04-09-2018, 7:31 PM
I took the hex head bolts out and put levers in to make it much quicker and easier to slide the fence. To remind myself I put red tape around the levers and a some string.

Larry Frank
04-09-2018, 7:35 PM
I did it once and mounted the blade and brake where I can see it from my Sawstop. It is a plaque to my stupidity.

I put a sacrificial wood fence on the front of my Incra. It prevents stupidity and works great as a sacrificial fence.

Jack Frederick
04-09-2018, 9:37 PM
I had this happen to me the first week I had my SS. I was using an Accumiter which has an aluminum bar. It did not touch the blade, but was close enough to trigger it, according to Tech at SS. They gave me a "rookie replacement" cartridge at no cost and I have avoided a repeat. Love the saw.

glenn bradley
04-09-2018, 10:03 PM
I added aWooden flag to the end of my gauge extrusion. I’ll try to post pics once I’m not on my phone.

So I did this back on day-one. Easily replaceable. I have them different lengths and for common angle cuts as well. HTH.

You just mill a length of hardwood that fits into the Incra extrusion. This becomes your blank and you can cut from it as you need. I glue the rabetted "flags" onto the piece of blank. I have never had one fail. I retain them with a small screw into an existing hole in the extrusion (I know some extrusions are different).

Kyle Iwamoto
04-10-2018, 1:50 AM
I do all of the above: wood extrusion auxiliary fence, use a plywood sled whenever possible. I am also super careful. It's easy to be super careful 99.9% of the time. It's hard to do it 100% of the time - and Murphy works 100% of the time.

Thanks... I just expelled beer through my nose........

I have a Sawstop. I guess I'll pass on the Incra miter. Assuming it's the nice one. I have the small one. Can't reach the blade.

Frank Pratt
04-10-2018, 10:25 AM
Prashun, right after you reported your first mishap with the Incra, I made a sacrificial fence faced with sandpaper for mine. I always keep it extended an inch or so past the end of the extrusion so I have a bit of a buffer. So thank you, I'm sure you've saved me a brake/blade at least once. I did trip it once cutting a board with some graphite fabric glued to it.

As for the miter guides, the SawStop guide is good, better than the average stock guide, but I wouldn't give up my Incra. It took at least an hour of farting around to get it dead on accurate (which at that price is unforgivable) but since then it's been perfect.

Jeff Heath
04-10-2018, 11:04 AM
I love my Incra miter gauges. I have a 1000 and a 3000, and am getting ready to add another for my other saw, a Whitney No. 77. I have to machine a new bar for it, but these miters are the best out there that I have seen, and I've tried many. They are very accurate and repeatable.

Other than, maybe, a quadrant on a sliding table saw, they are as good as it gets.

Wade Lippman
04-10-2018, 4:27 PM
I have both.
I nicked the gauge on my old Grizzly 10 years ago. It won't (knock on wood) happen again.

Osvaldo Cristo
04-10-2018, 5:27 PM
I love my Sawstop.
[...]

You brought me tears... lots of them... laughing as crazy!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thank you.

Stan Calow
04-10-2018, 6:24 PM
Well thanks for pointing this out. I have an Incra and never thought about the clearance.

Harvey Miller
04-11-2018, 7:45 AM
The mantra on the Ryobi BT3000 forum was to paint a red line in line with the blade kerf. Any thing crossing the line would be cut!

Rod Sheridan
04-11-2018, 3:51 PM
Prashun, toss the mitre gauge.

Make a mitre sled..( or pay more attention to what you're doing:D)............Regards, Rod.

Prashun Patel
04-11-2018, 4:08 PM
Rod, a sled is great for common angles, not for odd angles. The Incra mg is great for odd angles.

I'll just pay more attention. Look for a new "Definition of Insanity" post from me in another couple months...

Randy Heinemann
04-11-2018, 7:55 PM
One poster indicated he would like to buy an Incra Miter Sled. With the Incra Sled, there would never be a need to have the aluminum fence close enough to the blade to accidentally have it come in contact with the blade. Actually I'd say that, even without the sled, there should never be a reason to have the fence that close. If that is important than install a wood sub-fence. That will allow you to have a fence right on the blade that isn't going to trip the Sawstop brake.

Don Bullock
04-11-2018, 11:46 PM
Fair enough. I have considered purchasing a Sawstop machine mostly because I'm concerned about getting older and my attention slipping. My grandfather lost a finger and great grandfather lost a thumb on a table saw. Both when they were in their 60's I'm 55 now. If I were younger I'd choose the Incra over the Sawstop safety, today I'm kind of leaning towards Sawstop. That's the only reason why I asked if it has saved you yet.

That’s exactly why I got one. When I decided to retire SawStop was very new. I showed my wife the videos they had online and she told me to get one. While it hasn’t “saved me” yet that’s fine. I even don’t mind having the brake go off when it hit my Incra meter gauge. It’s a fantastic saw and I enjoy using it. The safety feature is just an extra that makes my wife and I feel better about me being out in the shop cutting wood.

Mike Cutler
04-12-2018, 4:44 AM
The safety feature is just an extra that makes my wife and I feel better about me being out in the shop cutting wood.

, and that's a great reason.;)

My dad used to own a small avocado grove in Fallbrook before he passed away. It's a pretty area.

Ronald Blue
04-12-2018, 11:52 PM
I don't see why one has to choose. Many have suggested a sacrificial add on fence to the Incra. While I don't have a SawStop I do have the Incra 1000HD and love it. I have always made it a practice after setting the angle to make a "dry run". Push the miter gage through like you were making a cut with the saw off. In some instances you might want to adjust it closer to the blade. It just takes a few seconds to do this. I agree that The Incra miter gages are as good as any. Even if I get a SawStop in the future I have no intention of giving up my miter gage. In my opinion you can have both. So now.....you can take $2 and my opinion and get a cup of coffee. PS: don't forget the $2!

David Ragan
04-14-2018, 10:32 AM
So I did this back on day-one. Easily replaceable. I have them different lengths and for common angle cuts as well. HTH.

You just mill a length of hardwood that fits into the Incra extrusion. This becomes your blank and you can cut from it as you need. I glue the rabetted "flags" onto the piece of blank. I have never had one fail. I retain them with a small screw into an existing hole in the extrusion (I know some extrusions are different).

Great idea......another way to engage my other hobby, cool stuff for the shop...and keep expenses down.

John C Bush
04-15-2018, 4:14 PM
Been there Prashun. I have the Incra 5000 sled and it is incredible--1/2 deg!!--and "comfortable" cutting small, accurate pieces loaded on the sled. I use it all the time and still use the Sawstop miter for quick 90deg crosscuts, less effort than loading up the sled. I got the 5000 when I bought out a hobbiest shop estate sale, otherwise I would have been too cheap buy new. I tripped the brake early on, haven't since, there wasn't even a mark on the anodized fence. Didn't think to call Sawstop and chisel for a freebie brake!! Only downside is I can't use it with the left tilt blade. If you are considering getting the 5000 consider getting the right side of blade model.

Nick Decker
04-15-2018, 5:30 PM
John, I don't have the Incra 5000 but my Miter Express (Incra's smaller sled) could be assembled either way, left side or right. If you don't have the original 5000 assembly instructions, you might download them from Incra. Might just be a matter of switching the panels around.

John C Bush
04-15-2018, 9:53 PM
Thanks Nick,
It didnt look like it could be switched but I didnt have instructions. I will look them up. JCB

Bill Sutherland
02-13-2019, 8:40 AM
Love my Incra 5000 on my Sawstop.

liam c murphy
02-13-2019, 1:05 PM
When I got my Sawstop, I imagined that I’d make the same mistake with miscellaneous jigs. As a result, I keep the edges of my jigs around 2” away from the blade.

I don’t think I’ve ever used a sacrificial fence on my miter gauge or sliding table. My box joint and dovetail jigs use them, but I skip them on most of my other jigs for the TS. Generally speaking, I clean up long edges after final assembly with a sander, plane or jointer. I don’t feel that the increase in performance is worth the inconvenience of having to manage an additional accessory. I’ve always perceived them as an additional thing for me to worry about, or as an other tool that could become inaccurate. It might also be worth pointing out that I cut miters on the miter saw. However, all other finished crosscuts happen on the TS.

Art Mann
02-13-2019, 4:38 PM
I don't understand why this is a problem. I have used the same Incra miter gauge for 15 years and haven't cut metal yet.

Tim M Tuttle
02-13-2019, 5:28 PM
I have the Miter 5000 and a SawStop and haven't done this....yet. I don't cut many angles though. There is one thing I do before every new series of operations with my power tools that has saved me from something like this, or even possible injury. I basically do a dry run cut. I make my hands go through the motions. If I am using jigs I move them through the motions just to see if anything is out of whack. It's helped me catch plenty of potential issues.

You can pry both my SawStop and my Incra from my cold, dead hands. :D

Von Bickley
02-14-2019, 3:34 PM
Was the miter gauge at fault????

Kyle Iwamoto
02-14-2019, 4:39 PM
I think I'll pull the trigger an Incra sled soon. There are too many good things about that sled..... I did read Prashuns earlier underwear changing events from long ago, and I do think (hopefully) I can avoid having said vent. While I personally have not tripped my saw, I do know someone who did have a finger saving trip.

Kevin Womer
02-14-2019, 5:25 PM
I love my Sawstop.
I love my Incra miter gauge.

I hate them together.

I just tripped the brake for the 3rd time in about 5 years. Every time it's the same thing: change the angle of the cut and the distance of the aluminum backer to the blade changes. I know better. I am still doomed to repeat this stupid mistake again, I fear.

Same set up here, did it once too. Ruined a new Forrest WWII. Hang in there.