PDA

View Full Version : S400 Cutting Issues

Jiten Patel
04-09-2018, 9:24 AM
Hi guys -

Having an issue with out s400. We had the tube and power changed due to this issue, but it is still happening (just waiting on tech support and thought I'd ask just in case there is a quick fix). When cutting a vector path, the laser cuts out randomly....the laser-head will follow the path, but the laser won't fire on certain sections. It is completely random - running the same job again yields different drop out points so it's not a file corruption. Any ideas?

Gary Hair
04-09-2018, 11:13 AM
Have you tried different settings? Maybe slow it down 1% or 2% and see if that changes anything. Maybe uninstall and reinstall JC? Flash new firmware? Do you have anti-virus running? Maybe it's causing info to be lost?

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-09-2018, 1:56 PM
Another wild guess ... bad cable from PC to laser?

Kev Williams
04-09-2018, 4:43 PM
... you've already changed out the tube and power supply, problem remains...

based on my experience with computer controlled machinery I would highly suggest you should disconnect every single connection you can, from everywhere you can, one connection at a time, spray both ends of the connectors with electronics cleaner, and reconnect... And in particular, I would disassemble the laser tube connector to see if you have a loose or burnt wire going into the wired plug.

I am of the understanding that with Job Control the connected PC basically acts as the 'motherboard'---yes? If so, get a new USB (or ethernet?) cable, and if USB, plug into a different port on the computer.

FWIW nearly half of every USB device/port/cable I've ever dealt with has failed. For awhile my GCC would keep losing USB connection, I would have to unplug then re-plug the cable. The cable and amplified extension cable were less than 6 months old. About a month ago I replaced both, haven't had to re-plug it since. And I had the same problem with my IS400, I was using a 15' USB cable and it kept dropping out. I put in a 6' cable and an amplified extension and it's worked perfectly. ---- But I fully expect both machines to start acting up again before this year is over ;)

Jiten Patel
04-10-2018, 4:17 AM
Thanks all,

So the cable has been replaced already and plugged into a new port - problem still remains.

Changing the speed does work so running at 75% power and 0.8 speed it cuts out, same with 1.0 speed, but at 1.4 speed it runs fine. Naturally I cannot cut acrylic at 1.4 speed. I am assuming this is a software issue but can't figure out what it may be?

Gary Hair
04-10-2018, 6:47 AM
Why not use 100% power?

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
04-10-2018, 8:37 AM
Hi Jit,

I guess this is a new problem that Trotec has not encountered before? I also assume this happens on multiple files, not just the one pictured? If it were me, after all you’ve done until now, I’d install Job Control on a new computer, preferably one without a bunch of programs and antivirus things running. Since I hate Windows, I’m always happy to blame Microsoft for any glitches I encounter :)

Bob

Jiten Patel
04-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Gary, as we are cutting mirror acrylic - 100% power causes remelt and the pieces don't fall out - 75-80% is the sweet spot.

Bob, this have baffled them. They have been here all day and cannot figure it out. CPU has been changed, but found out they didn't change the power supply so they are back tomorrow to change that over and see if it works. There is no logic behind the cutting out - the same file will work, then when re-run, cuts out. Driving us nuts as we have about 30 sheets of material to process before Friday which doesn't look likely which is going to leave a huge hole in my pocket!

Kev Williams
04-10-2018, 11:29 AM
It's NOT dropping out as you speed up-- got a faulty overtemp sensor maybe? Or possibly too much voltage at the laser, which may explain why 70% works better than 100%...
(just stabbing in the dark here ;) )

Scott Shepherd
04-10-2018, 11:55 AM
I've seen that a long time ago. At the time, it was firmware or driver related. It had something to do with files with larger numbers of objects. I haven't seen it in years now. What version firmware and JCX are you running? I'd try upgrading if you are lower, or downgrading 1 or 2 if you are higher and see if that goes away. Are you using Enhanced Geometry on/off? Vector sorting on/off?

Try toggling those as well and see if either corrects it. It might be something completely different than I saw years ago, but there are a couple of steps to try and isolate it.

Jiten Patel
04-10-2018, 1:36 PM
Update - so the issue is still happening - we have a work around which is running at 50% power / 1.4 speed with 3 passes - painfully slow but it is getting the job done. We have noticed drop out on the rastering too (hard to see as the work is so detailed but noticed it on some text) so the issue isn't exclusively for vector cutting.

Enhanced geometry is off (it is always off unless we are using the vision system as it doesn't work well with Illustrator). The firmware and JCX were both upgraded and it didn't make a difference. We are running v.10.6.1.2

With this new power revalation, I am leaning towards a faulty power supply....not being able to handle the higher power settings....but I am not mechanically minded so what do I know!!!