PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Jig

lowell holmes
04-08-2018, 5:39 PM
Does anyone use them anymore? I have one under my work bench and I have a router, but they are not used and have not been for a long time.

I also have a Yankee Drill that is not used. It has a full compliment of bits.

Adam Wissman
04-08-2018, 5:44 PM
still use mine all the time, the dovetail jig almost makes it too easy IMHO, once I'm done building the bedroom suite though it may sit for a while before it gets brought out again.

Jim Becker
04-08-2018, 6:00 PM
I do use mine from time to time, but not with any frequency because the majority of my projects don't require dovetails. For larger furniture casework, I tend to cut them by hand because that's quick, easy and they are generally hidden from view, so not being "perfect" isn't an issue.

lowell holmes
04-08-2018, 6:01 PM
Actually, I have not made anything substantial in a long time. I need to make some furniture or a new work bench. When I do my tools will be used again.
I have complete shop except for a lathe. I have been planning a new bench with storage drawers. I had all of this, but Hurricane Harvey washed them out.

It is time.:)

Doug Hepler
04-08-2018, 6:06 PM
Lowell,

I made box joints on my TS instead of DT whenever I had very many to make. I hand cut DT when I had a few in a place that would show, like a drawer front. So, I really had no use for a DT jig. After I gave up my TS (because of space) I bought a PC4216. It is easy to use for box joints and for DT, and I use it whenever I have many to make and don't mind the limitations.

Doug

David Utterback
04-08-2018, 6:15 PM
When making drawers, they sure are handy. Haven't made many in a couple of years, though. I think I will try some with Baltic Birch for the shop soon.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-09-2018, 9:02 AM
I use mine fairly often. With my skill set, it's faster than handcut by a lot, especially if you are doing several drawers. Mine just stays set up for 1/2" stock, with a couple routers locked and loaded close by. They sure make a mess though.

Ole Anderson
04-09-2018, 9:15 AM
I use mine fairly often. With my skill set, it's faster than handcut by a lot, especially if you are doing several drawers. Mine just stays set up for 1/2" stock, with a couple routers locked and loaded close by. They sure make a mess though. If you get the VRS accessory dust catcher, it really helps, plus it gives the router more support. Vacuum Router Support.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51jjpnxc5oL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Steve Rozmiarek
04-09-2018, 9:26 AM
If you get the VRS accessory dust catcher, it really helps, plus it gives the router more support. Vacuum Router Support.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51jjpnxc5oL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

You are right Ole, I need one of those.

Mike Shields
04-13-2018, 10:23 AM
I came late to the Leigh game. I just purchased the D4 pro and then the F3 template for finger joints. The F3 has opened so many more options for making boxes for gifts and such. If I jack up a box (for whatever reason) it just stays in the garage to hold small shop items (and as a reminder as to the mistake I made).

Gotta love quick and easy projects; the jig allows that.

Dave Cav
04-13-2018, 2:22 PM
I have a Leigh and a Keller (the Leigh was bought used when the original owner offered to throw it in with a router I wanted). I use the Keller a whole lot more, but if you have a Leigh (and the manual) there's no reason not to use it.

greg bulman
04-13-2018, 7:00 PM
Anybody use the FMT pro? I've been thinking about getting one. A lot of money. Have an older d3 I use occasionally. Works great when I need it.

Charles Lent
04-14-2018, 9:16 AM
I have both an FMT Pro and a D4R with the VRS. I haven't used either lately, but have put both through some heavy use. I bought the FMT when I was facing the need to make almost 1,700 M&T joints on a large project. It paid for itself doing that one, but has saved me a lot of times since. The D4R gets pulled out every time that I make drawers, because I'm not very good at doing them by hand.

Charley

John Gornall
04-14-2018, 10:11 AM
I keep the finger joint template on my d4 and use it for shop storage boxes etc - quick and perfect joints in many sizes

Josh Kocher
04-14-2018, 10:20 AM
I use my D4R fairly regularly.

Pretty clean when used with a vac in the VRS plus a piece of flex hose to my cyclone strategically clamped.

I like the jig a lot.

Tom Bain
04-14-2018, 8:41 PM
Just used mine (original D4) this week for a drawer in the built-in cabinet(s) I’m working on. I wouldn’t be without it for doing half-blinds for drawers.

Wayne Jolly
04-15-2018, 11:46 AM
Anybody use the FMT pro? I've been thinking about getting one. A lot of money. Have an older d3 I use occasionally. Works great when I need it.

I got a good price on a D3 and then upgraded it to the D4 spec with a kit from Leigh. It has been hanging on a wall for a while, but coincidentally, the morning I read this thread I had gotten the manual down and was going through it because I have some drawers and a printer stand that I want to use it for.

Wayne

Warren Lake
04-15-2018, 12:33 PM
slower but make a better looking door than any multi pin machine can do.

Ed Aumiller
04-20-2018, 9:13 PM
Since my shop time has decreased, don't use it that often....
BUT when making drawers, certain boxes, etc...
it it great to have it to make dovetails, especially like the ability to stagger them for good looks...

Warren Lake
04-20-2018, 9:30 PM
Yup. my comment said slower but make a better looking door, that should have been drawer. brain thinks one thing fingers type another

Robert Cherry
04-20-2018, 9:58 PM
I have the FMT pro and really like it. Very easy to use once you understand how it works. For dovetails I have the Keller jig.