PDA

View Full Version : What's a good price for a used Laguna 14/12 bandsaw

Marshall Harrison
04-08-2018, 11:30 AM
I have an estate sale going on through tomorrow near me that has a Laguna 14/12 bandsaw. It had a $750 price on it yesterday. So I just went by again and its still there at the same price. I offered him $200 but he turned it dow and claims that if it doesn't sell he has an offer for $500. Don't know if that is B.S. or a legit offer.

I'm wondering what is a good price as I plan on visiting tomorrow and making another offer. It is in good looking shape. I ran it but didn't cut anything with it. How high do you think I should go before it makes more sense to buy a new one ($1099 + $75 shipping).

Thanks.

John Redford
04-08-2018, 11:47 AM
I am reminded of the old adage "Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered".

Depending on shape, I would easily offer more than $500.

Phillip Mitchell
04-08-2018, 12:02 PM
Hah! I'd refuse a $200 offer on a $1000 saw as well.

I suppose it depends on what it's worth to you to have it, but if I was in the market for a bandsaw and the 14/12 fit into my selection criteria, then I wouldn't hesitate to pay $500-600 for one that was in proper operating and cosmetic condition, especially if it was located convenient to me. Does it come with any blades? What size, new/used? Do you know how old the saw is?

I would try and spend some more time going over it with a finer comb and trying to arrange to test the saw out if possible, just to make sure it saws properly and the guides are in proper working condition.

$500-700 isn't unreasonable in my book for a used 14/12 that has some sharp blades and is good condition.

David Utterback
04-08-2018, 12:16 PM
If it is in good condition, the asking price is not far out of line. If you really want the saw, you may wish to get back over there before someone else closes the deal.

glenn bradley
04-08-2018, 12:47 PM
If it is in good condition, the asking price is not far out of line. If you really want the saw, you may wish to get back over there before someone else closes the deal.

And take some flowers to make up for insulting them. :D

Curt Harms
04-09-2018, 5:17 AM
One rule of thumb for used machinery is 50% of new if the machine is in good condition. The Laguna 14/12 hasn't been around long and is current production. Laguna tools appear to have a one year warranty so that may be expired. I'd think it's worth $600 - $700 depending on what blades are included.

Brian Nguyen
04-09-2018, 9:25 AM
Yeah I'd turn down $200 if I'm selling a Laguna as well. In fact, I wouldn't even bother to respond to that offer (no offense intended). A 14/12 isn't a 30 year old Delta that's rusting in a barn or running in a shop for three decades straight.

I'd have no qualms paying $600 or even $700 for a used Laguna in good condition. At $700, you're saving approximately $500 on a good bandsaw that's still on the market. I was trolling CL for a second bandsaw and the few Lagunas and Rikons 10-326 rivals popping up went quickly for $500 to $800. I missed out on a Rikon 10-326 that was listed for $500, even though I got there within an hour of the guy listing it.

So yeah.. if you can get it for $500 cash then you'd score a good saw.