PDA

View Full Version : Stabilize burl for vneer

David Ragan
04-07-2018, 8:26 PM
How would you all stabilize this Lyptus burl for use as a veneer?

I hate to admit it, but since I first bought it 10 years ago, and have done nothing but had buyer's remorse.

As you can see, as pretty as it is, it's chock full of voids and bark inclusions.

I have a decent vacuum pump for these purposes.

I figured to maybe stabilize w something clear that would take planing/sanding (no drum sander), and make my veneer substrate black-cause the voids are, well, I dunno, so deep.

How to do w/o a large cash outlay?

I'm completely in over my head w this.

Thanks

Mike Henderson
04-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Commercial veneer is not all that expensive. I'd buy whatever species of wood you wanted already sliced. Certainly Wood has a good selection and decent prices.

Mike

David Ragan
04-08-2018, 9:47 AM
Thanks Mike

What you say would be the rational, logical thing to do......

In my grandiosity, several years ago, I got a BS specifically made for this purpose-and it does a wonderful job.

I have put this piece up for sale on that thread, or perhaps barter it for a void-less specimen from internet merchants.

PS-I could not figure out how to delete this thread last night, so sent a msg to the only moderator on, so my apologies for this still being up and running.

Thanks

Jim Becker
04-08-2018, 12:09 PM
There's no harm in the thread remaining, David...it poses a reasonable question that might help other folks in the future.

Jim
Forum Moderator

Peter Christensen
04-08-2018, 2:35 PM
Look into Cactus Juice. You submerge the wood in it and apply vacuum until the bubbles stop. Release the vacuum and then wrap in foil and bake it in a toaster oven at about 200f for a couple hours. That cures the juice. If you want to fill the voids after cast it in coloured epoxy or Alumilite. The Cactus Juice can be dyed too. If you don’t want to do it yourself the makers of Cactus Juice can put you in touch with people that do.

David Ragan
04-09-2018, 1:02 PM
It occurred to me that I might run a sample board (who would think?), and then do some punching.

Let me see what I feel like doing when home from work tonight.....