PDA

View Full Version : brad nailer

Brandon Speaks
04-06-2018, 10:23 PM
I feel like a brad nailer would be handy. I dont work in construction or remodeling or anything but for tacking together projects, shop fixtures, and redooing my screen porch this summer.

Initially I liked the idea of a cordless because I can take it anywhere, but I can get a pancake compressor and air gun for half the cost.

Here is why it is even a question, I have two shops, a basement and a garage shop, garage is more power tool focused and basement is more hand tool. I know I wont be hauling it back and forth and it will live in one or the other, likely the garage if I go air, if I go cordless it can be where it is needed. Also for occasional home trim work cordless seems much easier. For a bigger project like the screen porch an air gun which is lighter and cheaper seems better. Also I can get an air brad gun, compressor, stapler, and finish nailer for the cost of the cordless brad.

Also if I go cordless I would prefer to stay dewalt to match my battery system.

What would you guys do?

Andrew Seemann
04-07-2018, 12:14 AM
I'm guessing that you are referring to the Porter Cable compressor combo kit with the pancake, small and large finish nailer and a stapler. I have one of the older versions of that kit, and i would say it is much more useful than a singe cordless brad nailer would be.

Rich Engelhardt
04-07-2018, 5:03 AM
Harbor Freight makes a dandy 18 ga brad nailer/narrow crown stapler. The length is limited to about 1 1/4", but, in my experience that's plenty.

For the screen porch you'll want either a good old Arrow wide crown stapler or a pneumatic wide crown stapler - such as this (https://www.harborfreight.com/20-gauge-wide-crown-stapler-68029.html).

Instead of one of those God-awful noisy pancake compressors, do yourself a favor and pick up a small quiet Senco or Makita or even a California Air.

Pete Staehling
04-07-2018, 7:29 AM
I too really like the HF 18 ga brad nailer. I find it works great as long as I don't try to use HF brads. I have been using Hitachi brads with pretty much zero jams or misfires. Mine takes 5/8" to 2" brads. I can comfortably recommend this nailer, just don't buy their brads.

Not sure if I just got a lemon, but the pancake compressor I got from HF was garbage. I was actually happy when it died and early death.

I since replaced it with a California Air Tools 10020C. It is a really nice unit and is so quiet! It might be bigger than you want, but isn't too big to move around, but if I wanted more portability I'd get either a smaller CAT compressor or maybe an air tank/caddy.

Lisa Starr
04-07-2018, 7:36 AM
I use a pneumatic 18 gauge brad nailer from Grizzly. You can't beat $39.95 and it shoots 3/4" thru 2-1/2" long brads. I have a little compressor that runs it just fine. For little "in the house" jobs, I have an air tank I fill and take into the house.

Brandon Speaks
04-07-2018, 8:25 AM
I was actually reffering to a dewalt pancake and 2 nail gun package I saw at home depot last night for about $170, although I am not opposed to buying a different compressor type. I do see my local home depot has a senco although it also calls it a pancake https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools/Senco/Pick-Up-Today/N-5yc1vZc1xyZ1ctZ1z175a5/Ntk-semanticsearch/Ntt-senco%2Bair%2Bcompressor?NCNI-5&browsestoreoption=1

Nick Decker
04-07-2018, 11:53 AM
That Senco in the HD ad isn't what I'd call a pancake, but I've heard one and it's very quiet. It'll power a brad gun fine, but the 1 gallon tank means the compressor will be running a lot more to keep up. You'll also run low on air real fast if you use it for things like blowing air to clean off tools, etc.

That said, Senco is good stuff and I'd recommend it. I have a Senco 18 gauge brad gun and it's a fine tool.

Ellen Benkin
04-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Depending on how much you will be using it, the HF nailer is fine. I use it infrequently for pinning parts together while the glue dries. I also have a heavy and loud small compressor but, again, I don't use it often, so it doesn't bother me. Sometimes the compressor is more handy for bicycle tires than anything else!

Steve Rozmiarek
04-07-2018, 12:42 PM
I'm a carpenter and I do lots of finish work, so I use brad guns often. My recommendation for one you will be packing around is to think about the compressor portability. A 60# noisy compressor makes a pneumatic nailer a pain to deal with. Most jobs don't require a big compressor though, so consider a highly portable model. My favorite is the little Senco compressor, a lightweight hose and a Senco or Grex gun. I personally don't like cordless guns because they feel clunky, and I hate having to unexpectedly stop what I'm doing to get a new battery from the charger, which is usually in the trailer 200 yards away from where I just got the crown molding in position on the ladder 10' up. $120 for the compressor, $20 for the hose, and $75 for the nailer.

https://www.tylertool.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-cpo-master-catalog/default/dw4d9fb350/product_media/sen/sennpc1010/images/xlarge/sennpc1010.jpg

Bill Space
04-07-2018, 4:54 PM
I'm a carpenter and I do lots of finish work, so I use brad guns often. My recommendation for one you will be packing around is to think about the compressor portability. A 60# noisy compressor makes a pneumatic nailer a pain to deal with. Most jobs don't require a big compressor though, so consider a highly portable model. My favorite is the little Senco compressor, a lightweight hose and a Senco or Grex gun. I personally don't like cordless guns because they feel clunky, and I hate having to unexpectedly stop what I'm doing to get a new battery from the charger, which is usually in the trailer 200 yards away from where I just got the crown molding in position on the ladder 10' up. $120 for the compressor, $20 for the hose, and $75 for the nailer.

I like it! I am tempted to buy one even though my old pancake compressor still functions...Thanks for posting Steve.

Mike Null
04-07-2018, 5:03 PM
I have the Porter Cable and the HF. I'm about to give the PC to my neighbor as I just don't use either of them enough to justify owning them. I'm keeping the HF because it also shoots staples. I use a Sears 30 gal. compressor which is actually on duty for my pnuematic heat press.

Given your situation-similar to mine I'd save the money. This was another of those times when I listened to Norm and shouldn't have.

James Biddle
04-07-2018, 5:39 PM
I have a garage and basement shop setup as well. I have my big compressor in the garage to tackle the bigger jobs. I have the same Senco compressor as Steve above in my basement and it's been great for me as well. A lightweight compressor, a compact air hose and a brad nailer is a nice combo for using anywhere. In the 18ga nailer, I have a PC and a Omer and they both work fine. If I didn't need a compressor anyway for other tools, I'd look at a battery; very rarely do I have an away-from-shop scenario where I either don't need multiple air tools or where I only needed an 18 ga nailer. In the shop, who cares if its battery or air driven? Lastly, I hate limiting any battery tool to batteries I already have...recipe for compromise. Most tools come with 2 batteries and a charger, and most non-professionals don't need 3 or more batteries in a day without access to power.

Stan Calow
04-07-2018, 5:58 PM
California Air Tools makes a small compressor that is very quiet and easy to carry. Menards has it sometimes for <$90. I replaced my Craftsman with that. I find I use a pin nailer for woodworking more than the brad nailer.

Todd Bender
04-07-2018, 7:18 PM
I'm with Steve. I'm also a trim/cabinet pro and don't own a cordless anymore. Air compressor is useful for many tasks and you'll be happy to own one, it will also allow you the option to buy other nail guns. +1 on avoiding the noisy PC pancake.

Brandon Speaks
04-07-2018, 9:25 PM
Thanks guys, I bought the small senco and a brad nailer and a crown stapler. Honestly with the cost difference compared to cordless I can get a second compressor to keep in the other shop and still be ahead. This whole set up cost less than the dewalt cordless brad, and for the cost of the cordless crown stapler I can get a larger compressor for the garage shop which would be handy anyway.

marlin adams
04-07-2018, 11:26 PM
The last few tools I bought I bought thru CPO pretty inexpensive

Mark Blatter
04-08-2018, 6:50 AM
Thanks guys, I bought the small senco and a brad nailer and a crown stapler. Honestly with the cost difference compared to cordless I can get a second compressor to keep in the other shop and still be ahead. This whole set up cost less than the dewalt cordless brad, and for the cost of the cordless crown stapler I can get a larger compressor for the garage shop which would be handy anyway.

You will enjoy that little Senco air compressor. I have one and it is so nice to use. Quite and weighs around 10 lbs, so it is easy to carry around and does a great job.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-08-2018, 11:04 AM

I still smile everytime I hear how quiet mine is compared to the old Dewalt Emglo that I use for framing nailer. Might want to add a 23 gauge pin nailer to the arsenal too, they are cheap and the ability to touch up pin holes with paint or varnish only, no filler, makes them useful for trim on cabinet installs and built up details.

Jim Becker
04-08-2018, 11:30 AM
I agree...when you are able, add a 23 gage pinner to the mix. I use mine a lot for sure, both "in" projects and for utility/temporary jig creation.