PDA

View Full Version : Compressor location issue in shop

Jon Snider
04-06-2018, 5:04 PM
This is another question in a series I’ve posted as I’m planning a new workshop and moving paper cut outs around. It will be a detached structure and the size is a moving target, possibly 38 x 26 now if everything works out with the city. I’m getting to the point where I need to fish or cut bait with the architect.

The shop is on a fairly flat level with probably 18” crawl space and wood floor. No basement, and for now it’s looking like no loft or attic.

Im thinking of a separate closet for my compressor, framed and insulated for sound. My compressor buddy said don’t put it in same closet as dust collector, although in reading the last 65 pages (so far) of this sub forum I’ve seen others do this. Says dust will kill filter and motor. I could put a divider wall b/w DC and compressor. Also doesn’t want me to put outside here in Colorado, even covere due to freezing, but needs room to be vented to keep motor cool. Venting to the outside would keep room nearly as cold as outside, but venting back into shop will bring noise back into shop.

Shop will be heated with some type of gas, maybe a Rinnae, to keep above freezing.

Also, put something on wood floor to decrease sound and vibration?

Thx again to all here.

Jon

Mike Kreinhop
04-06-2018, 5:25 PM
I put my compressor in the same closet with my DC system. It breathes the same air I do, but I think I have the quality of air covered with my filters. When I close the closet doors, I can hear the compressor start, but no one in the rest of the house can. I put it on some rubber isolation pads that are commonly used for washers and dryers here. I don't know if they are needed, but I had some extra pieces and didn't have any use for them, so why not?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/798/26411035577_8ea4d5be74_c.jpg

Jim Becker
04-06-2018, 5:57 PM
I've had zero issues with my 60 gallon compressor being in the same closet as my Oneida cyclone for many years now. There's almost no dust because of the excellent filtration and no heat issues, either, because there's a bent-path air return back to the shop.

Andrew Seemann
04-07-2018, 12:22 AM
No problem here also with them both in the same closet. My dust collection closet probably has the least dust in the shop since the loose dust doesn't settle in there and the air coming out of the dust collector goes through a HEPA filter.

I also wouldn't put them in a freezing environment; the condensate could collect in places where ice would be bad.

John K Jordan
04-07-2018, 8:35 AM
With good filters there should be no dust from the DC to bother the air compressor. Mine also share a closet - a 5hp compressor and a 5hp cyclone in a 4'x8' closet. I insulated the walls and ceiling for sound reasons. The cyclone is attached to an exterior wall to minimize sound transmission through the wall into the shop. The compressor sits on a concrete floor but if I had wood floors I'd try to isolate it from the floor and the interior walls.

I built the wall 6" thick using staggered stud construction with insulation woven between 2x4 studs to prevent sound being transmitted directly through the wall. This type of construction is sometimes used in sound studios.

I also built a baffled duct through the trusses to return filtered air to the shop without returning sound from the cyclone and air compressor.

JKJ

sean meltvedt
04-08-2018, 12:07 AM
The only other concern I had with my compressor in the cyclone closet is excessive heat when the cyclone is not running. When I was doing long spray finish runs, my room was getting very hot. So I ultimately moved the compressor out of the closet and into the corner of the shop. I also put it on a motion switch so that it is shutoff within 30 min after I leave th shop. FYI the compressor is a 5hp 60gal, and while I’m spraying continuously, it cycles at approximately 50% duty.
Just my two cents.

John K Jordan
04-08-2018, 7:07 AM
The only other concern I had with my compressor in the cyclone closet is excessive heat when the cyclone is not running. When I was doing long spray finish runs, my room was getting very hot. So I ultimately moved the compressor out of the closet and into the corner of the shop. I also put it on a motion switch so that it is shutoff within 30 min after I leave th shop. FYI the compressor is a 5hp 60gal, and while I’m spraying continuously, it cycles at approximately 50% duty.
Just my two cents.

I wondered about that too, so I measured the temperature in my closet while running the cyclone or air compressor continuously. Warm but not hot. I also checked the temperature of the motors and they were well below operating specification. (a thermocouple reader is cheap on Amazon) My closet is 4'x8'x9' so maybe the large volume of air makes a difference.

The compressor itself gets quite hot but it does that whether the 5' wide double doors are closed or open for air circulation. I didn't measure the differential between the air and the surface of the motor with the closet doors open and closed but that would be an interesting test.

Mike Cutler
04-08-2018, 9:26 AM
Jon

You should be fine, especially if you have a setup like Mike's. Those are impressive filters!
If you were running both together for hours on end each day, I can see where your friend is coming from with regards to the compressor. I doubt that will be the case.
As for the venting of the compressor, same as above. How often it cycles will determine how much cooling it needs. I think you would be fine just venting it back into the shop space, unless it's a really loud compressor.

For the floor vibration and sound issue, I'd just put down some Stall Mat. It's a dense rubber pad, 3/4" thick, and 4'x6'. It will weigh close to 80 lbs per sheet. As it's name suggests, it's for horse stalls,or basically any farm animal. If it can withstand a horse, with studded shoes, it can take the weight of a machine pretty easily. It's available at most agricultural supply stores like Tractor Supply. It will run about $35-$40 bucks a sheet.

Jon Snider
04-08-2018, 12:23 PM
Thx to all for replies and advice. I’m actually starting to go back to the idea of just venting the cyclone outside. I’d moved away from that b/c of concerns posted here in other threads (many) plus talking to Clear Vu folks, about sucking heated air out of shop or more importantly pulling smoke back down wood stove pipe. I’m thinking if I crack a door or window it will be fine.

Compressor prob a bigger issue, seems like I don’t want it to freeze, so may vent back in attic area.