PDA

View Full Version : Tenon saw or smaller Rip saw - Veritas

Aaron Rosenthal
04-05-2018, 11:20 PM
I'm experimenting on cutting tenons by hand. Usually I finagle my way by using machines, but these are large pieces (6') for table aprons. I wasn't satisfied with the last batch, it's a series of tables I'm repairing for my Synagogue. So, I'm trying to get better.
Intend to use Veritas because my local store is about 3 km away, and they all know my name.
They have 2 saws which would be suitable; their standard tenon saw, a hefty $155.00 Canadian, and a smaller rip saw at less than $100.00. The smaller saw is limited to about 2 3/8" depth of cut - enough for these tenons, but I also need to start building some gates, which I will be timber framing.
I can use either my bandsaw or a tenon saw for those.
I'd appreciate a little experiential advice - bite the bullet and just get the tenon saw, or buy the smaller one and take a chance I will want to upgrade.
Thanks for the feedback.

Hilton Ralphs
04-06-2018, 1:25 AM
Here's the thing. They are both so reasonably priced that you will not go wrong by getting both. Most if not all Veritas tools hold their value so if you really find yourself not using one it would be relatively easy to move it on.

Jim Koepke
04-06-2018, 2:24 AM
My vote would be to go for the deeper one if you are planning on cutting larger tenons.

If you do not have a dovetail saw, then the smaller saw may have more merit if you plan on also cuting dovetails.

jtk

lowell holmes
04-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Actually, I think you should get both saws. That's what woodworkers do.:)

Jim Koepke
04-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Actually, I think you should get both saws. That's what woodworkers do.:)

You must be a real cut up at parties. :D

jtk

Simon MacGowen
04-06-2018, 5:16 PM
You will get the best answer by trying them out at the store (lucky you!).

The two saws you mentioned are not the same animal. You will need to use the large tenon for a while before you can gain the same kind of control you may have with the smaller rip, and not every one I came across has tamed the larger tenon saw.

It is true the large tenon saw will take care of small to large jobs, but at a cost -- not about the monetary cost -- you lose a bit of control with the large one when doing smaller jobs. Don't need to trust me on that; try that one at the store, trying to saw something thin and small with the tenon saw vs with the rip saw and you will see what I mean. I have used both saws extensively but for dovetail work, box joints etc. the rip is the tool of choice every time. The tenon saw? Good for mortise and tenon joinery and deep cuts the rip can't get to.

After trying, you may end up buying both, or may be not.

Simon