PDA

View Full Version : String Inlay Issues

Richard Bishow
04-05-2018, 5:53 PM
I am new to inlay and have a perplexing question. Most of my concern involves issues around when and how to apply stain to the piece. I plan to install a holly string inlay around drawer fronts of a mahogany nightstand. Obviously I don’t want any stain on the white holly stringing, so I would need to apply stain prior to the inlay. I likely need to stain before I rout out the inlay channels as well, in order to keep those channels pristine and ready for glue. Test pieces reveal problems with this plan. If I rout the channels (using a down spiral bit) after staining, the channel edges still need some light sanding to clean up and stain to touch up. Additionally, the slightly proud inlay needs to be sanded flat, causing more problems with the staining. An alternative would be to toss out the idea of staining altogether and just install the string inlay followed by clear shellac. That would work, but I really would like to use a stain on the mahogany. So, is there a way to apply stain to these drawer fronts and not contaminate the pure white holly inlay??? Thanks, Rick

Wayne Lomman
04-06-2018, 9:25 AM
It's just a job that requires a high degree of accuracy. Machine your grooves and dress off the fur as you are already doing. Dry fit the inlay including sanding it flush. Pull out the inlay. Stain accurately so you don't contaminate your grooves. Apply a thin coat of polish to inlay face and drawer face so glue doesn't get on everything. Again, do it accurately so no polish is on any gluing surface. Glue your inlay in place and when dry continue polishing. You will need the patience of Job and the eyesight of a cat. Cheers

Richard Bishow
04-06-2018, 11:02 AM
It's just a job that requires a high degree of accuracy. Machine your grooves and dress off the fur as you are already doing. Dry fit the inlay including sanding it flush. Pull out the inlay. Stain accurately so you don't contaminate your grooves. Apply a thin coat of polish to inlay face and drawer face so glue doesn't get on everything. Again, do it accurately so no polish is on any gluing surface. Glue your inlay in place and when dry continue polishing. You will need the patience of Job and the eyesight of a cat. Cheers

Thanks Wayne. What polish would you recommend?

Wayne Lomman
04-07-2018, 1:15 AM
I can't recommend specific products unless you live in Australia as well. I usually prefer nitro and pre-cat lacquers but this job makes me think shellac. You can readily hand apply it and being thin it won't over build at the early stages. It will dry in a reasonable time as well. Cheers