PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy lumber around syracuse NY?

Adam Herd
04-05-2018, 2:51 PM
Not sure if this is the best place to ask but here it goes. If there are any people on here from around central New York, where is the best place to buy lumber? Last summer I started getting into actual wood working and not just using 2x4s and building shelves. In the past I always went to Lowes. Over the summer I found a guy on craigslist that owns a sawmill up in orwell. Nice guy, great prices but kinda far from Syracuse. Where does everyone else go?

Ron Citerone
04-05-2018, 7:43 PM
Not sure if this is the best place to ask but here it goes. If there are any people on here from around central New York, where is the best place to buy lumber? Last summer I started getting into actual wood working and not just using 2x4s and building shelves. In the past I always went to Lowes. Over the summer I found a guy on craigslist that owns a sawmill up in orwell. Nice guy, great prices but kinda far from Syracuse. Where does everyone else go?

I would start looking on CL for people selling lumber, a lot of times those guys have portable mills and have other lumber to sell. My daughter is a strong candidate for a job up that way and I went on CL there and saw lots of lumber for sale and the prices looked good compared to Suburban Philadelphia. I thought if she moves there I might be loading up the minivan on return trips.

I also had a connection for a while here of a guy who managed the trees on his father's property in NY State and he sold me some great maple and cherry for a super price but that dried up. I only mention it because he told me there is a lot of good lumber up there compared to down here.

Not sure if that helps, but that is all I got!

Ron

Jerry Wright
04-05-2018, 9:11 PM
Lakeshore Hardwoods near Mexico, NY is the best! Great selection and fair prices. Worth a trip if only to look. Like a supermarket of wood.
I live in Camillus and have been there often.

Anderson Young
04-06-2018, 10:33 AM
The two I know of are Lakeshore mentioned by Jerry and Kennedy Hardwoods near Preble (81S). I haven't been there in many years as I've been using mostly wood from my lot that I had a sawyer (Woodmizer) cut. I hear a lot of people mention getting stuff from local cutters and sawyers. I'll be looking into all of the above when my stashes dwindle. Gook luck with this.

Dom Garafalo
04-07-2018, 8:13 AM
For good quality lumber, building materials and an excellent selection of S3 hardwood, I go to Tracy Lumber in Fayetteville, NY.