PDA

View Full Version : Carved bigleaf maple double bowl

sascha gast
11-15-2005, 6:51 AM
I got this chunk a while ago, but last week, I finally felt brave enough to turn it. This was definetly an experience, it sounded like a helicopter while it was on the lathe. It got a little better when I had it turned a bit, but I was very happy that my lathe is bolted to the floor.
I could only speed it up to about 600rpm before it just sounded too scary.
the rim is about 1/4" thick now that it is carved. I used a proxxon minigrinder and the 2" Kutzall wheels to carve the design.
after that a Proxxon electric carver and lots of sandpaper.
this was fun but so far the scariest bowl I have turned.

I also turne another 4 bowls this weekend, they are being finished right now, so I'll post pics when I am done with them

Sascha

John Hart
11-15-2005, 7:19 AM
Holy cow Sasha!! If you suddenly stop posting...I'll have to check the obits. All your work is phenomenal and this piece is just awesome. What are its dimensions?

Jack Savona
11-15-2005, 7:20 AM
That is a "Wow!" piece for sure. After my first aesthetic reaction came: "Now what did that look like on the lathe...and how'd he keep it stable...and survive?"

I can see how scary that had to be. Congratulations not only on just turning it and being all in one piece, but also on the vision and execution of something so beautiful and artistic. Any photos of the initial chucking? Talk about off-balance.

Jack

Travis Stinson
11-15-2005, 7:20 AM
WOW! Very impressive Sashcha. The carving is cool. For some reason, The Creature from the Black Lagoon keeps coming to mind!:eek: :D

Chris Barton
11-15-2005, 7:29 AM
Absolutely stunning! Who need drugs to get you going when you are turning stuff like this!

Kurt Aebi
11-15-2005, 7:33 AM
That piece is COOL!!

I would be way, way, way too scared to mount that to any lathe! My hat is off to you, buddy!

Michael Stafford
11-15-2005, 7:47 AM
That is really an amazing piece. There is no way that I would have the cojones to mount that on a lathe and swing it around (even if I had a lathe that could, which I don't). But it is a very beautiful work of art Sascha. You be careful out there....;)

John Miliunas
11-15-2005, 8:07 AM
Oh, you guys are a bunch of sissies! I'd find no problem mounting a piece like that on my Vega!:) I wouldn't turn the thing "on" but, no reservations about mounting it!:D

Seriously, I'm with the majority here! That is flat out beautiful and, like Jack said, wonderful vision! :D I woulda' picked up that chunk of wood and maybe seen two bowls and that's that! :) Awesome work Sascha!!!:) :cool:

Rich Stewart
11-15-2005, 9:06 AM
How in the world.........?

Glenn Hodges
11-15-2005, 10:18 AM
What a fine piece of work! The wood is gorgeous and the workmanship shows you have become an accomplished woodturner. Thanks for showing it to us.

Karl Laustrup
11-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Almost speechless, Sasha.

Beautiful piece of wood and wonderful vision to see the end result in a chunk of wood.

Karl

sascha gast
11-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Thank you guys, this one really was turned like any other rim bowl I turn. put on faceplate, turn tenon, put in chuck and hollow. the only thing, I had to do it twice and also, I had to make sure it sits on the table nice, so the feet had to be even.
This certainly gave my Stubby 1000 a workout. I am glad I bolted it to the floor.
It was fun turning but my teeth hurt when I was done turning, I guess I was biting down too much or something,hehe.

This was definetly the most challenging piece of wood I turned in my 1 year turning history.

Sascha

Jim Becker
11-15-2005, 2:46 PM
Great job, Sasha! This is a "double" that really feels right visually and the carving takes away any chance of it not being unique! Wonderful!

Even with the weight of the S-1000, I, too, am glad you have it bolted down. The force that off-balance projects like this exert is incredible and will walk the heaviest machines across the floor with no problem.

John Miliunas
11-15-2005, 2:50 PM
Even with the weight of the S-1000, I, too, am glad you have it bolted down. The force that off-balance projects like this exert is incredible and will walk the heaviest machines across the floor with no problem.

Well gentlemen, FWIW, if I ever chuck anything up on my 2400 or something to the likes of that S-1000, which would in turn, cause either machine to start "walking away", I have no business putting something like that on the chuck!!!:eek: Scary just thinkin' about it!:) :cool:

Carole Valentine
11-15-2005, 3:21 PM
Wow...you are one gutsy turner, Sascha! I would never in a million years have the nerve to mount up something like that. :eek: It's beautiful, but deadly looking!

John Shuk
11-15-2005, 8:14 PM
Once again awesome work Sascha. Stuart Batty better watch his back!

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-16-2005, 12:18 AM
GULP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think that I would even mount that, let along turn it.

That is FANTASTIC, Sascha. You are AWESOME!

Bruce

Mark Singer
11-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Sascha,
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................Wo ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh

Philip Duffy
11-16-2005, 4:57 AM
Very beautiful, Sasha, and it scares me to death to think about the rotor rpm noise again, and I am fearless!! Phil

Ernie Nyvall
11-16-2005, 6:00 PM
Geeez Sasha, that is beautiful!!

Ernie

Mark Cothren
11-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Now that is about as unique a piece as I've seen!!! Fantastic! Very creative!

Thanks for the picture!

Dick Parr
11-17-2005, 10:37 PM
That sure is a pretty piece of wood Sasha and some wonderful turning on top of it. Great job.