PDA

View Full Version : Update from Arrowmont

Dr. Zack Jennings
06-27-2003, 4:59 PM
I turned a Black Acasia Bowl from a seasoned rough turning today. Wayne Shipman rough turned these blanks in California over a year ago. Some guys have turned some nice pieces. My first two attempts at plates ended up with holes in the bottom.

Yesterday,(Thursday), We got a morning demo from the Oregon Chain Saw traveling rep on maintenance and saftey. After that, Wayne showed how to harvest turning blanks. He took a log and carefully studied it. Then, he laid out his turning blanks with a compass and straight edge. He got 2 spindle blanks from either side of the pith, 2 slabs and twi large bowl blanks. He then cut up the log with the chain saw. Afterthat, he explained crotch blanks for platters.

A Tip on Turning Blanks Wayne usually cuts his log into sections that are 2 inches longer than the diameter of the log. Also, he carries a 3" wide straight edge made from 1/4" plywood. He used this to mark the Pith.

On Saturday We leave at 9:30AM for the Laurel Falls trail to discuss trees and how to harvest wood for turning. A Park Service Guide will be there. It should be interesting. I will leave from there to the "Dark Side" (North Carolina) to take photos of cabins, Mills before returning to Gatlinburg.

Bobby Hatfield
06-29-2003, 3:41 PM
I turned a Black Acasia Bowl from a seasoned rough turning today. Wayne Shipman rough turned these blanks in California over a year ago. Some guys have turned some nice pieces. My first two attempts at plates ended up with holes in the bottom.

Yesterday,(Thursday), We got a morning demo from the Oregon Chain Saw traveling rep on maintenance and saftey. After that, Wayne showed how to harvest turning blanks. He took a log and carefully studied it. Then, he laid out his turning blanks with a compass and straight edge. He got 2 spindle blanks from either side of the pith, 2 slabs and twi large bowl blanks. He then cut up the log with the chain saw. Afterthat, he explained crotch blanks for platters.

A Tip on Turning Blanks Wayne usually cuts his log into sections that are 2 inches longer than the diameter of the log. Also, he carries a 3" wide straight edge made from 1/4" plywood. He used this to mark the Pith.

On Saturday We leave at 9:30AM for the Laurel Falls trail to discuss trees and how to harvest wood for turning. A Park Service Guide will be there. It should be interesting. I will leave from there to the "Dark Side" (North Carolina) to take photos of cabins, Mills before returning to Gatlinburg.

Are you feeling a little guilty for enjoying that nice cool weather and turning class ? If you are, then to make up for the feeling, you can turn me a set of table legs when you get back, the lathe is waiting, country style, yellow pine they be. I will want pic's of the job also, please submit your lowest bid.

Dr. Zack Jennings
06-30-2003, 8:18 AM
If you want 4 legs that look sorta like each other, I may be your man. Please send specifications.

Kent Cori
06-30-2003, 9:41 AM
Zack,

It sounds like you're having a great time. I checked the Arrowmont web site and it certainly looks like a great place to learn. They seemed to have many woodturning courses with slightly different themes throughout the year and the cost certainly is reasonable.

How about posting a full critique when you return? I think we'd all be interested in what you did and didn't like about the course, instructors, facilities, etc. as well as any tips you could give to those of us who may be future first timers.