PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed: Fair Price Range for a 2003 MM16 Band Saw

Peter Rudy
04-05-2018, 2:28 AM
I could use some help. What would be a fair and appropriate price range for a 2003 MM16, 12.5 in resaw, 3.6 hp motor, excellent cosmetic and operational condition, new Euro guides, carbide blade, meticulously maintained?

Thanks!

Matthew Hills
04-05-2018, 9:20 AM
Are you selling or buying?

Prices will vary wildly by local market.

If you see Brian's threads from earlier this year, he was looking at a Minimax S45 and a Laguna LT16 for $1000, with both sellers asking for higher prices initially.
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?262237-Min-Max-s45
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?262781-Bandsaw-I-GOT-IT-I-GOT-IT

The MM16 is a better saw, so I'd expect it to be more than these. The current version of this saw has a bigger motor, although the 2003 motor isn't too bad, and the value of 16" vs. 12" resaw will really depend on the user. Ceramic guides are fine (minimax briefly used carters before switching back with current models). I don't usually put a lot of value on used blades. It would be nice if it came with some sort of mobility kit (that is often included if buying new, now)

There was an older thread on value of a used MM16 here, as well:
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?184860-Fair-price-for-a-Minimax-16-quot-bandsaw

New prices have only gone up, so value will depend on whether there was someone in the region wishing they could get this type of saw (and who didn't need the full 16" resaw).

Our local craigslist has a 2003 MM17 listed for $1700 yesterday.

This listing would have had my attention when I was bandsaw shopping, although probably towards the high side. And then I would've been thinking about how I would transport it if I did buy it.

Matt

Peter Rudy
04-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Hi Mathew

Thanks for taking the time for a comprehensive reply. In my reseach, I carefully read the 2012 thread to which you refer on the MM16. Its one of the most thorough MM16 value threads I have seen. I still laugh at the part that says the saw has a “food stop.”

In my case, the saw in question has the Zambus casters, new Euro side guides and new ceramic rear guides.

I have researched the hell out of this, and prices and conditions are all over the place. Its not just dependent on market, but on poster. I wonder what people are thinking when they list a used, expensive, quality machine with the only description given is: used band saw.

thanks

Peter

David Kumm
04-05-2018, 1:39 PM
1500-2000 would be near the high end. Anything below in good condition is a deal. Dave

Erik Loza
04-07-2018, 11:19 AM
...I wonder what people are thinking when they list a used, expensive, quality machine with the only description given is: used band saw...

Many of us consider it as the Ferrari in our shop but other folks just consider it a bandsaw, like every other bandsaw. Especially pro shops or hobbyists who have lost interest and /husand who was the woodworker passed away/estate sale/getting divorced and need to get rid of it/etc. I have seen all those scenarios.

Erik

Peter Rudy
04-07-2018, 11:48 AM
Many of us consider it as the Ferrari in our shop but other folks just consider it a bandsaw, like every other bandsaw. Especially pro shops or hobbyists who have lost interest and /husand who was the woodworker passed away/estate sale/getting divorced and need to get rid of it/etc. I have seen all those scenarios.

Erik

Hi Eric the Minimax Sage!

You could not be more correct - and I have seen all the same scenarios, some funny and some sad. The best posting I once saw was: Threw the worthless cheating bastard out of the house and selling his tools cheap! The sad ones are when the husband dies, elderly wife is left with a shop full of early Asian tools (as in early HF) of no value.

The funniest posting was for a Powermatic lathe, shown covered head to toe in wood chips with the caption: Needs a good cleaning.

Martin Wasner
04-08-2018, 1:06 PM
1500-2000 would be near the high end. Anything below in good condition is a deal. Dave

I think Dave is spot on. I paid $2100 for one in very good shape with the newer hp motor and 16" opening last fall. It came with about 20 good blades, some brand new. I think I paid a little bit too much for it, but not a huge amount.