PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail practice

Brandon Speaks
04-04-2018, 2:15 PM
Hey Guys,

I am sort of ok at dovetails but not good. Plan to spend some focus practice time this weekend. I have some poplar in both 1/2 and 3/4 was wondering which would be easier to start with, or better to practice on?

Bill Carey
04-04-2018, 2:46 PM
Hey Brandon - I'm in the process of practicing my dovetails as well. I grab whatever cut offs I have lying around and use them. Everything from 3/8" oak to 1" walnut to 3/4" hickory. The 1/2" will be easier to clean up I think, but why not try both? I bought the Katz-Moses guide and really like it.
http://www.katzmoseswoodworking.com/new-products/new-61-clear-urethane-katz-moses-magnetic-dovetail-jig-and-90-degree-crosscut-guide

Robert Hazelwood
04-04-2018, 3:00 PM
Poplar is a nice wood to practice with, it is soft enough to work easily but does not crumble and tear like pine (which makes the chisel work more demanding). I would say the 1/2" will be easier and quicker to work, and the 3/4" will be more demanding of squareness in your sawing and chopping. Both are common thicknesses to work with.

Hasin Haroon
04-04-2018, 3:24 PM
You'll improve very fast - in fact you will most likely see a noticeable improvement between the first set and last set you cut when you practice. What I found helped me the most is to slow down, and to picture how the joint goes together - and also not to go crazy paring when the joint seems too tight.

Edwin Santos
04-04-2018, 6:17 PM
Hi,
Maybe start with the 1/2" but don't be afraid of using both. My advice, don't overdose on useless two piece corners for practice. Make complete boxes with or without lids. They'll get good quickly, and you'll end up with little dovetail boxes all around the house for containing things like paper clips, pencils, salt in the kitchen, rubber bands, your wallet and keys, bottles under the sink, anything really. And every time you look at one you'll feel a little jolt of pride. A house full of dovetails is a cool house.

Eventually you'll start playing around with spacing and pin sizing, and at that point you'll be a full blown addict. Poplar's a good practice wood.
Edwin

Brandon Speaks
04-04-2018, 7:08 PM
Thanks guys, this all makes sense. I do plan to use both but figures I would do the first few sets with whichever one was easier.

Also I had been thinking about focusing on practice corners but I think you are right that knocking out some boxes would keep it more interesting.

Andrew Seemann
04-04-2018, 7:35 PM
Dovetails are kind of like welding, in that there is no substitute for practice and repetition. There is skill and knowledge involved (for both) but the basic technique just requires that muscle memory (and strengthening) and the little micro adjustments you learn to make without even realizing it from doing over and over and over.

Be open to trying different techniques, the reason there are so many different ones is that not one way works for everyone in every situation.

Jim Koepke
04-04-2018, 8:43 PM
My suggestion would be to use what ever wood is on hand. You are not practicing a size, you are practicing sawing to a line.

Look at each set you make closely to see if you can find ways to improve.

Also try putting the 1/2" together with the 3/4" for practice.

During my practicing on dovetails the pieces were numbered and dated.

Also do not be afraid to try both pins first and tails first. You may find one way works a little better for you.

Here is a recent dovetailed box of mine:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?259750-A-Box-From-Firewood&highlight=

All of the dovetail tricks and tips that came to mind during the build are included in the post. It may offer you some help.

jtk

Philipp Jaindl
04-05-2018, 2:52 PM
I agree with the others it doesnt matter much what kinda wood you use just pick 2 boards and start practicing, when you're done saw off the dovetails and repeat untill the boards get too short. Also a good idea to try out different layouts and variants of dovetails aswell as Tails and pins first to see which suits you best, its a good way to get practice in.

You might also wanna try out different saws or ways to hold the saw depending on what kinda saw you use.

Frederick Skelly
04-05-2018, 4:25 PM
What I found helped me the most is to slow down, and to picture how the joint goes together - and also not to go crazy paring when the joint seems too tight.

+1. I'm finding the same thing in my "quest" Hasin.

John Redford
04-05-2018, 5:14 PM
and also not to go crazy paring when the joint seems too tight.

This is great advice.