PDA

View Full Version : Reading Woodsmith Plans

Justin Foley
04-04-2018, 1:24 PM
I picked up my first Woodsmith plan and have some questions about how to properly read it. This is for their Kreg Jig workstation. In particular, I'm wondering how to read the dado & rabbet measurements as well as the measurements of the materials. I've attached a couple of pictures as references.

Here are my questions:

1. In the Capture 1 picture, items A (Case Side) & B (Case Bottom) appear to have LxW, then the material itself (1/2 ply). However, Item C looks like it's being given in WxL. I'm pretty certain I'm reading that the right way, but would like confirmation. It just seems odd that the measurements would suddenly flip like that. Can be confusing if you're looking at a cut list and now the actual picture.

2. In Figure 1a & 1c (also in capture 1), is the dado/rabbet depth 1/8"? The Case Bottom (in figure 1a) also looks to have a 1/4" wide by 1/8" deep dado starting 1/4" in from the end. Is this accurate?

3. In Capture 2, there's a leveler block (E) that is 7/16" x 1" - 2". The directions state that it's hardwood, but that's about it. Is this a 1"x 2" that's been planed down to 7/16? I have no idea.

I hope my questions make sense and are relatively clear. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

George Bokros
04-04-2018, 1:39 PM
Question 1. I would read that length is the grain direction and width is across grain.

Question 2 The dado in 1a is 1/8" deep 1/4" from the end of the case side. I do not see a 1c in capture 1.

Question 3 I believe and way you can get to a block 1" wide X 2" long X 7/16" thick is acceptable.

glenn bradley
04-04-2018, 1:50 PM
I find Woodsmith plans to be some of the more complete plans out there. The placement of LxHxW values is generally pretty obvious. From you captures I do see a lack of info on rabbet and groove depth. What issue is this from, I will take a look and see if I can help. ;-)

Randy Viellenave
04-04-2018, 4:26 PM
Looks like Sep 14, #137