PDA

View Full Version : Only 'cuz John H. asked for it!

John Miliunas
11-14-2005, 9:04 PM
OK, hope you folks have one of those clear rubber things on your keyboards!:eek: When I spoke to John on Sunday, I told him I'd gotten a chunk of Cherry burl out of the mothballs and was making a feeble attempt at making something round with it. Real, real dry, with many trips to the grinder! :rolleyes: Nuthin' special. @5-1/2" diameter, 3" deep and just a touch over 1/4" thick (which, I got lucky on and managed to get pretty consistent all the way down.). Finish is Velvit Oil and a couple coats of "Lacquer in a Can", with a quick, light buff after it setup pretty well. Thanks for taking a peek and I wouldn't blame you for just simply moving on to the next thread!:D :cool:

John Hart
11-14-2005, 9:09 PM
That is soooo cool!!!! Hey...you know what would set it off? A walnut pedestal...not attached, but something that the bowl would just sit on. Very cool piece John.....I didn't throw up or nuthin'. ;)

Ernie Nyvall
11-14-2005, 9:16 PM
I like it John. That piece is burled up. Did it beat you to death? What did you buff it with?

Ernie

John Miliunas
11-14-2005, 9:24 PM
That is soooo cool!!!! Hey...you know what would set it off? A walnut pedestal...not attached, but something that the bowl would just sit on. Very cool piece John.....I didn't throw up or nuthin'. ;)

Good idea, John! I may just go ahead and try that, as I happen to have a chunk or two (ahem) of Walnut sitting in a box near the other lathe!:D Oh, and thanks for your considerate response!:) :cool:

John Miliunas
11-14-2005, 9:28 PM
I like it John. That piece is burled up. Did it beat you to death? What did you buff it with?

Ernie

Thanks Ernie! Yup, my sore hand was a LOT more sore by the end of it, but strangely enough, as I was working it, I kinda' lost track of the pain!:) Just a light hit with the Bealle buffs. Only the Tripoli and Wax...Skipped the White Diamond, as there are too many voids in the piece. Thanks again!:) :cool:

Joe Tonich
11-14-2005, 9:42 PM
Holy Cow, John...........that is SWEET!!!!!!! :D

Them burls are scary when they spin, aren't they? Ya done it proud!!

Travis Stinson
11-14-2005, 9:50 PM
Sweet John! There's a lot going on in that burl. Now get busy, we wanna see more!;)

Jim Ketron
11-14-2005, 9:58 PM
Nice Job John!
Beautiful Bowl!
You done this one proud;)

Bill Stevener
11-14-2005, 9:59 PM
Hi John,
Your turning sure has a lot of character and a fine job of it as well. Glad to see your back into the spin of things.
Bill.>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
11-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Well fancy that! The boy does turn! Real nice effort, John.

Dale Thompson
11-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Hey Spring,
Leave it to a cheesehead to mess up a GREAT piece of campfire wood. :mad: Burls make a super fire and they burn for a long time. ;)

Apparently you are rich enough to pay your utility bills and don't have to worry about the practical and monetary aspects of staying warm and dry. :rolleyes: I should be so lucky. :o

OK! I guess that I will have to say it. Great job, Spring, it's a waste of BTUs but a very admirable job of turning. For a cheesehead, you are starting to get rather embarrassing in terms of your woodworking diversity and talent. :eek:

Dale T.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Well John.......................I'm going to have to close my eyes and relax for a few minutes.........................That piece's is BLINDING beautiful!

Workmanship ain't half bad either.

Bruce

Kurt Aebi
11-15-2005, 7:29 AM
Great Job, John!

Good to see your hand holding up to a piece like that - you know what that means?????????

That's right - You're well enough to turn more!

Get out there and show us some more wonderful stuff you can do!!

Michael Stafford
11-15-2005, 7:31 AM
John, that is mahhvelous, simply mahhvelous! I have not had the pleasure of bringing a piece of wood that beautiful to life and I envy you. That is just gorgeous. You should turn more, your work is always nice!!!!:cool: ;)

Chris Barton
11-15-2005, 7:32 AM
That's great John! It would look good on my desk!

Karl Laustrup
11-15-2005, 7:38 AM
Pretty much what Pesh said, and then some. ;) :)

Yes a dark wood pedestal to display it on.

I can tell you havn't gotten the ash yet. If Friendship calls while I'm gone, you'd best wait until after the 1st to go pick it up. Don't be making no road trip without me.

Karl

John Miliunas
11-15-2005, 8:17 AM
Thanks much, gentlemen! (You too, Pesh!:D ) You guys are just too kind!:o With funds low and Christmas comin', I'm trying to work through the pain, so that I have something to fill some of the voids. Appreciate your courteous comments and suggestions!:) :cool:

Keith Burns
11-15-2005, 8:29 AM
That is a wonderful piece John. I only had one barf bag left and hoped I didn't have to use it. Thank goodness I didn't need it:D . Seriously you've done yourself proud.

David Wilson
11-15-2005, 8:40 AM
John
Great job on the bowl. I also like the idea of a walnut pedistal. Let me know if you need another piece of walnut.

tod evans
11-15-2005, 9:07 AM
nice job john, i like it. tod

Steve Clardy
11-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Oh thats a nice one John.
Someone where I have a small cherry burl stashed, and one will turn it.
Hope it turns out like yours!!

Bart Leetch
11-15-2005, 11:21 AM
"I was working it, I kinda' lost track of the pain! Just a light hit with the Bealle buffs. Only the Tripoli and Wax...Skipped the White Diamond, as there are too many voids in the piece."

Its a good thing you skipped the White Diamond that would have started you hand hurting again. Never heard of buffing hand & wrist pain away with a Bealle buff. But then again there is lots of things I don't know.:eek: :D Nice looking bowl John.

Jim Becker
11-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Velvety piece, John!! :D :D :D

Seriously, nice job. I need to get back to the spinning thing soon...I'll likely need the mental health atributes.

John Miliunas
11-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Velvety piece, John!! :D :D :D

Hey, it's not as nice as John Hart's vahhhhhhhhhhse but, I'm tryin'!:D

Thanks again for the overly-kind words, folks!:) :cool: