PDA

View Full Version : Table saw storage

Laurie Brown
04-03-2018, 6:16 PM
I'm going to be moving soon to another state. Because of this, I am going to need to put several of my large power tools into storage. I have a Delta hybrid table saw, and I disassembled it to the point where it was when I bought it - removed the fence rails, the power switch, and the extension tables. My question is, what's the best way to protect the tables while in storage so they don't rust? What should I wrap them in? They may be in storage for a year or more while I get my shop built in the new location. Thanks!

Lee Schierer
04-03-2018, 6:22 PM
I would recommend applying a very heavy coat of Boeshield top cote and letting it dry in place, do not wipe it down. Cover the saw with a heavy cloth or blanket and put it in storage. When you get the saw out. spray the top with Boeshield again and wipe it off. We used to ship cast iron machines like this all the time and had no issues with rusting once we developed this procedure.

Bruce Volden
04-03-2018, 7:39 PM
I've done as Lee suggested plus threw down some talcum powder-just in case!

Bruce

Brandon Speaks
04-03-2018, 9:11 PM
I have bought guns that were packed for decades in cosmoline and did not rust a but. Was a bear to get off on occasion though.

Vince Shriver
04-03-2018, 11:21 PM
Years ago I put my machines in storage and applied a heavy coat of lithium grease on the tables & pillars. That didn't do much to stop the rust. I have since found a product that looks very promising: RP 342. It comes in a spray can so it's easy to apply, and cleans up with usual solvents (naptha, paint thinner, lacquer thinner). I'm no expert, but as I said, it looks promising. Good reviews on Amazon with the caveat that "it remains sticky" or "greasy". Good luck.

Laurie Brown
04-05-2018, 6:43 PM
What about something like WD-40?

Lee Schierer
04-05-2018, 8:35 PM
What about something like WD-40?

IMO, Basically you would be wasting your time. WD-40 will evaporate and leave little if any protection behind.

Laurie Brown
04-05-2018, 9:17 PM
I did apply a generous coat of paste wax to the surface. But I'm mainly worried about the wings that have been removed, as to what I can wrap them in to protect them.

Ronald Blue
04-06-2018, 11:06 AM
This is a very good rust inhibitor/metal protector. We've used it with good results. Are you storing them where you currently live?

amazon.com/2-Pack-LPS-Premier-Rust-Inhibitor/dp/B01N3RZI0J

Peter Christensen
04-06-2018, 11:45 AM
I had some VCI bags from work that I wrapped or cut open and spread over my machine tops. VCI bags or paper have corrosion inhibitors that off gas protecting the contents. I think that stands for Vapour Corrosion Inhibiting. My SawStop top was pristine after more than a year and a half in a shipping container. If you get a roll you can wrap all your hand and power tools and box them up. Packaging companies like U-Line sell it and Amazon, eBay as well. They also make bags for long term storing of bicycles of the same plastics that you could put things in or cut up to wrap. The usual cardboard, foam and tape complete the rest of the protection.

Rust-Preventive-Bicycle-Storage-Bag (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-422/Rust-Preventive-Bicycle-Storage-Bag)

https://www.uline.ca/Grp_89/VCI-Products

http://green-vci.com

Laurie Brown
04-06-2018, 11:50 PM
Yes, I will be storing the equipment here in Virginia and moving it after I have my shop built or somewhere else to put them in Ohio. I think I'm aiming at a 30x40 shop.

Charles Coolidge
04-07-2018, 12:07 PM
I would recommend applying a very heavy coat of Boeshield top cote and letting it dry in place, do not wipe it down. Cover the saw with a heavy cloth or blanket and put it in storage. When you get the saw out. spray the top with Boeshield again and wipe it off. We used to ship cast iron machines like this all the time and had no issues with rusting once we developed this procedure.

I gave up on Boeshield and switched to Starrett M1 https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/starrettm1lubricant12oz.aspx M1 Oil produces a micro-thin, airtight coating that simultaneously dries as it protects, avoiding dirt, grime, dust and other contaminants.