PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley came through again.

lowell holmes
04-03-2018, 5:44 PM
Hurricane Harvey decimated my garage shop. My contractor son came in and repaired my shop, but his crew scattered my tools all about.
I found my Veritas spoke shave, however the blade is missing. I went on line and ordered a replacement blade. Well, it was delivered about 30 minutes ago.
I put it in the shave and made beautiful shavings. It is a joy to use.

I like being able to go online and find replacement parts for my tools. For some that might not know, Veritas is a Lee Valley line of tools.

I wonder why Rob Lee named his line of tools Veritas. Veritas is the Latin word for truth according to Google.

Jim Koepke
04-03-2018, 6:11 PM
I wonder why Rob Lee named his line of tools Veritas. Veritas is the Latin word for truth according to Google.

Doesn't everyone want their tools to be truthful to their purpose?

Speaking of ordering parts for tools, a recently found Stanley #39 dado plane needed a small screw. Wouldn't you know it nhplaneparts listed a few within days on ebay. Now my plane is also whole.

Another of my recent purchases was a Veritas concave spoke shave:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=49142&cat=1,50230&ap=1

jtk

lowell holmes
04-03-2018, 6:36 PM
I also have the wooden handle flat spokeshave.

Jim, I wish you hadn't mentioned the one you bought. I was not aware of the round shave, and I may just have to order one.
I don't really know why, but the one that dies owning the most tools wins.:)

Tim Janssen
04-03-2018, 10:44 PM
I also have the wooden handle flat spokeshave.

Jim, I wish you hadn't mentioned the one you bought. I was not aware of the round shave, and I may just have to order one.
I don't really know why, but the one that dies owning the most tools wins.:)

Go ahead, no better time, free shipping is on right now.
Not to gloat but I just hop in the car and be in the store in 10 minutes.
Cheers,

Tim

john zulu
04-04-2018, 2:22 AM
LV has replaced quite a few stuff I damaged myself over the years like the brass knobs. The replacement is VERY reasonable. With that kind of service and quality I will think of LV.

Jim Koepke
04-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Go ahead, no better time, free shipping is on right now.
Not to gloat but I just hop in the car and be in the store in 10 minutes.

Free shipping can almost pull me in at times. This time it was having a bit of spare cash on hand.

For folks on the north side of the boarder when there is free shipping it would be amazing if they paid for gas if you drive to the store? :eek:

You know that ain't gonna happen.

jtk

Pat Barry
04-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Hurricane Harvey decimated my garage shop. My contractor son came in and repaired my shop, but his crew scattered my tools all about.
I found my Veritas spoke shave, however the blade is missing. I went on line and ordered a replacement blade. Well, it was delivered about 30 minutes ago.
I put it in the shave and made beautiful shavings. It is a joy to use.

I like being able to go online and find replacement parts for my tools. For some that might not know, Veritas is a Lee Valley line of tools.

Seems like much ado about nothing. Were you surprised you could get a replacement blade for that tool? Is that something that you can't get from other tool sellers? I don't think so to either question.

Bill Houghton
04-04-2018, 12:41 PM
I think the name may actually go back to Leonard Lee, Rob's dad and founder of Lee Valley.

Matt Lau
04-04-2018, 6:53 PM
Seems like much ado about nothing. Were you surprised you could get a replacement blade for that tool? Is that something that you can't get from other tool sellers? I don't think so to either question.

Hey Pat,

The thing that impressed me with Lee Valley is that I was able to get a washer for a marking gauge that was only sold for about 3 years. It had been out of manufacturing for about 5-10 years when I'd called. The guy not only knew the right part, but let me know that I was missing three other special knobs and precision shims.

They provided it for the princely sum of $0.13.

Then, there was the retrofit for the small plough plane....and other good stuff that they've done without much fanfare.

Many things like this (plus the fact that their factory seconds have been nicer than some Lie Nielsen that I've seen) make me a diehard fan of Lee Valley.

Dennis Droege
04-06-2018, 6:11 PM
Oh d..n. I just posted my dissatisfaction with their communication and shipping. My apologies; I didn't know they were so well thought of.

Ron Patrick
04-06-2018, 6:14 PM
I lost one of the brass pins from my veratas grinder table, I called to see about getting a replacement and they sent me one free, not even shipping. A very class act.

lowell holmes
04-09-2018, 4:01 PM
I like to give credit when some body does what they say. It is a lot to do with who good vendors are. They shipped it quickly.

I guess you don't agree.

Bill Houghton
04-09-2018, 5:48 PM
Oh d..n. I just posted my dissatisfaction with their communication and shipping. My apologies; I didn't know they were so well thought of.
Your experience was your experience. No organization is perfect. You can bet, though, that if Rob Lee spotted your post, he's been busy trying to figure out what went wrong.