PDA

View Full Version : Guys don't do this!!

Robert Engel
04-03-2018, 10:22 AM
I've had a habit of leaving stuff like rulers, etc in the well of my fence for years and years.

The other day, some how right at the end of a cut, this allen wrench somehow flipped out and landed where you see it just as I was shutting down the saw. Luckily I was leaning over toward the switch at the time. If the blade had caught it...I don't even want to think about it.

Matt Day
04-03-2018, 10:47 AM
I’ve always kept all my rulers and pencils there too. Maybe a tray attached to the right of the fence would be a better idea. Thanks

Brian Nguyen
04-03-2018, 10:53 AM
I keep my dust collection remote(s) and tape measure in the fence well, and never had any jumping off into the blade. Now I'm definitely paranoid...

Btw I'd go nuts leaving allen wrenches around like that, how can you do it? I'd lose so many of them that I have to put them back into the Husky case they came with. Allen keys are awful in that practically every tools would come with some, but they seem to be the wrong size for what you'd need at the moment.

Nick Decker
04-03-2018, 11:02 AM
I have a couple of Allen key "piles" but neither are near the table saw. There should be a rule: If a tool requires an Allen key, it must come with a place to secure it.

Doug Garson
04-03-2018, 11:40 AM
I have a couple of Allen key "piles" but neither are near the table saw. There should be a rule: If a tool requires an Allen key, it must come with a place to secure it.
Magnets work great for this.

Martin Wasner
04-03-2018, 11:49 AM
I keep the arbor wrench and a stick on there for changing blades on a couple of the saws. Most are free of stuff though.

Andrew Seemann
04-03-2018, 11:56 AM
I'll admit to keeping a tape measure and maybe a 6" Starrett rule on the fence, but only by the handle, never that far up the fence. The only thing on the fence that would be that close to the blade slot would be a wooden push stick, and even those I try to keep on the other side of the fence.

Nick Decker
04-03-2018, 11:57 AM
Magnets work great for this.

Yes, which reminds me I need more magnets.

Jim Becker
04-03-2018, 12:30 PM
We all occasionally do thing that are not necessarily "the best idea". While not exactly the same thing since my high/low fence can't hold things like that, I had one of my metal rules on my slider wagon a couple weeks ago and nearly pushed it into the blade accidentally. It was there, not for the cut, but because I had been previously measuring something "over there" for convenience. (you know...move the tool rather than the material) A similar thing happened with my push stick while back when I set it on the back of the miter fence support rather than taking a half-second longer to just reach down and put it on the magnetic hanger I have for it right by the machine controls. The blade did knick a tiny corner of it, but fortunately it didn't go flying anywhere.

glenn bradley
04-03-2018, 1:26 PM
I have a pencil and a tape that live in that well. Both have magnets on them and require a definite tug to get them off. Good warning, thank you.

mark mcfarlane
04-03-2018, 2:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up Robert. I really appreciate folks sharing safety items like this.

Bruce Page
04-03-2018, 2:59 PM
Good heads up Robert. The only things I ever have there are a push block and a pencil, never anything metal.

Marshall Harrison
04-03-2018, 3:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up Robert. I really appreciate folks sharing safety items like this.
What he said.

I can't think of everything so posts like this are helpful.

andrew whicker
04-03-2018, 5:23 PM
I have a unisaw fence so I will continue to do this

Mike Manning
04-03-2018, 6:42 PM
I have a Unifence and always keep a tape measure and a pencil nub (2"-3" pencil) on top of the locking mechanism. Not concerned about them getting into the saw blade but it is always good to be reminded of power tool safety! This coming from the guy who recently got two fingers (middle & pinkie) bit on said TS.

Thanks for the reminder Robert!

Frederick Skelly
04-03-2018, 6:45 PM
Oh man! I do that ALL THE TIME on my Biesemeyer.
Thanks for the wake-up call Robert,
Frec

George Bokros
04-03-2018, 10:15 PM
I have a number of rulers on my Biesemeyer. Guess They will be removed tomorrow.

Charlie Jones
04-03-2018, 11:14 PM
It is always good to be reminded to practice safety.

mreza Salav
04-03-2018, 11:21 PM
I have a pencil and sometimes a short ruler there as well. Did you find out how did it end up getting off that well?

Wayne Cannon
04-06-2018, 12:23 AM
These small double-ended magnetic tool holders from Lee Valley work great for keeping ruler, blade wrench, etc., handy on front, side, or fence rail.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=41734&cat=1,42363,42356,41734

mark mcfarlane
04-06-2018, 10:50 AM
These small double-ended magnetic tool holders from Lee Valley work great for keeping ruler, blade wrench, etc., handy on front, side, or fence rail.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=41734&cat=1,42363,42356,41734

Those standoff magnets look nice. I use epoxy to prevent the magnet from coming whichever side I want to stay put.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-06-2018, 2:49 PM
um, thanks for the warning on that..... that has been common practice for me! think it iwll no more be common practice for me.