PDA

View Full Version : Worked surprisingly well

Michael Weber
04-02-2018, 8:21 PM
A few months back I ask if anyone had tried installing one of the small cheap plastic cyclones inline with a central vacuum. I finally got around to doing so on my very old central system and have to say it worked surprisingly well. I thought that perhaps the velocity through the system would be too great for the light weight dust. Not so. It seemed to get most everything based on the condition of the vacs cloth filter I cleaned beforehand vs what was in the bucket. Look forward to less cleaning of the cloth filter. Going to get a screw on bucket lid for easier bucket removal.382943

W Craig Wilson
04-03-2018, 6:25 PM
I've been using a plastic separator on a galvanized trash can for years.
Works so well that I've occasionally forgotten to check the collector bag after many empties of the trash can.

Morey St. Denis
04-03-2018, 8:30 PM
Believe I recognize your miniature cyclone as the 50mm (2" size) China molded Nalgene product by N$; Nantong Suning Environmental Protection Technologies. Nicely engineered product and an especially good value at the import price. Did you know that this design is also available in a larger 75mm (3") ported size at nearly 20" of vertical height? Their 75T is the model I'm using at present for a portable installation intended mostly for outdoor use in reclaiming some 5/4 century antique painted heartpine beams & structural lumber. Can't figure why you might think this was non-woodworking related and posted it here as opposed to the more conventional WorkShops forum covering similar dust vacuum systems?..

Michael Weber
04-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Believe I recognize your miniature cyclone as the 50mm (2" size) China molded Nalgene product by N$; Nantong Suning Environmental Protection Technologies. Nicely engineered product and an especially good value at the import price. Did you know that this design is also available in a larger 75mm (3") ported size at nearly 20" of vertical height? Their 75T is the model I'm using at present for a portable installation intended mostly for outdoor use in reclaiming some 5/4 century antique painted heartpine beams & structural lumber. Can't figure why you might think this was non-woodworking related and posted it here as opposed to the more conventional WorkShops forum covering similar dust vacuum systems?..
You certainly know your cyclones and I was impressed with the quality when I received it. Good to know about the larger size. The 2 inch fits the central vacuum piping. Perhaps it was the wrong forum. The original question was ask here and didn't address woodworking at all. Also, I now have little interest in woodworking, never visit other topics here, but quite enjoy the general forums variety of questions and knowledgeable/non-contentious responses.

Dave Cav
04-04-2018, 1:52 PM
50mm (2" size) China molded Nalgene product by N$; Nantong Suning Environmental Protection Technologies. .

I ran across these on Ebay and ordered one. I don't have a central vac system but I was able to cobble it to my generic Rigid shop vac and a bucket, and it works fine, keeps the shop vac filter much cleaner. It's also a lot easier to empty now.