PDA

View Full Version : Can you show me your tool storage? Tool chests? Wall Cabinets?

Matt Lau
04-02-2018, 6:37 PM
I was looking at my Takeo Nakano kanna sitting inside a husky carryall that I got from a friend.
While I don't have a Stan-quality collection (or a quarter of his skills), I feel like I'm insulting my tools.
As part of my reorganizing my workshop (and building my own furniture), I'd really like to make a good home for my tools.

Can you guys share your tool storage, and comment on what works for you (as well as what you'd change)?

Currently, I'm using systainers...but they don't feel right.

ken hatch
04-02-2018, 8:10 PM
Matt,

I use a combination of all of the above, tool cabinets open and closed, rolling tool chest, and chisel and saw tills.

A photo of the behind the main bench storage with a open cabinet, chisel and saw tills, and a tool chest:

One more of one of the closed cabinets:

There is more but you should get the ideal.

ken

Phil Mueller
04-02-2018, 8:42 PM
Matt, here’s my very small shop set up. What I use the most is hanging on the wall, second most used tools are in the drawers and cabinets, and now and then tools are behind the closed door on shelves or containers.

382944 382945

On the other hand, you could do something like this one I found on the net :D

Chris Parks
04-02-2018, 8:42 PM
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=woodwork+tool+storage+ideas&client=opera&hs=9SX&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVpsey75zaAhVIEbwKHSzYAsAQ_AUICigB&biw=1326&bih=669

brian zawatsky
04-02-2018, 9:06 PM
I have considerable work to do in this area still, but a beginning was made when I built a new bench. Included was a cabinet with 5 drawers that house my most often used hand tools. I am going to add dividers in the shallow drawers to make a small compartment for each chisel to keep them from rolling around.

Mark Gibney
04-02-2018, 10:05 PM
Ken, is that footwear OSHA approved?

steven c newman
04-02-2018, 10:30 PM
I have a bunch of tils in the shop. There is also a 5 drawer chest of drawers to hold a lot of extras. I built a two drawer cabinet, with a long top shelf for under the bench, it holds all the "extra" chisels. There is a rack along the back edge of the bench, to hold the user chisels and other pointy things. Still have a few items hanging from the ceiling joists. If you want, I could post a tour of the shop....again.

ps: Am currently rebuilding a til for the brace drills...will post something, when it is done.

Bill Houghton
04-02-2018, 10:35 PM
Combination of cubbyholes under the bench, nails on the walls, and mechanic's rollaways and top chests.

Andrew Seemann
04-02-2018, 10:41 PM
Hi Matt,

My hand tools are in wall cabinets for ease of access and to keep them out of harms way when the Cub Scouts are in the shop. Other tools are stored in drawers and cabinets.

My main goal for organizing tools is ready access while working with minimal steps from where I typically use the tool, keeping the tool out of harms way for both the tool and me (I have a particular dislike of exposed blades, especially chisel blades), and ease of returning the tool back home since I dislike working in a messy shop.

Pic of the main tool cabinet. The end of the Frid bench is under the left door when the cabinet is open, putting chisels and planes within arms reach. Smoothing planes, chisels, and block planes tend to be used the most at the Frid bench, so they are designed to be the most accessible. I do most of my layout on the assembly bench, so the main layout tools are in a drawer there with less commonly used ones (and more expensive ones) in this cabinet.

Detail of left side:

Detail of center right:

Detail of right side:

Plane cabinet. The plane cabinet started out as the main tool cabinet, but it ended up too small and got repurposed for less used planes. It is about 2 steps away from the Frid bench, and has less commonly used (by me) planes.

ken hatch
04-02-2018, 10:49 PM
Matt, here’s my very small shop set up. What I use the most is hanging on the wall, second most used tools are in the drawers and cabinets, and now and then tools are behind the closed door on shelves or containers.

382944 382945

On the other hand, you could do something like this one I found on the net :D

Phil,

Links did noit work.

ken

ken hatch
04-02-2018, 10:52 PM
Hi Matt,

My hand tools are in wall cabinets for ease of access and to keep them out of harms way when the Cub Scouts are in the shop. Other tools are stored in drawers and cabinets.

My main goal for organizing tools is ready access while working with minimal steps from where I typically use the tool, keeping the tool out of harms way for both the tool and me (I have a particular dislike of exposed blades, especially chisel blades), and ease of returning the tool back home since I dislike working in a messy shop.

Pic of the main tool cabinet. The end of the Frid bench is under the left door when the cabinet is open, putting chisels and planes within arms reach. Smoothing planes, chisels, and block planes tend to be used the most at the Frid bench, so they are designed to be the most accessible. I do most of my layout on the assembly bench, so the main layout tools are in a drawer there with less commonly used ones (and more expensive ones) in this cabinet.

Detail of left side:

Detail of center right:

Detail of right side:

Plane cabinet. The plane cabinet started out as the main tool cabinet, but it ended up too small and got repurposed for less used planes. It is about 2 steps away from the Frid bench, and has less commonly used (by me) planes.

Andrew,

Way too neat, I'd never get anything done :D.

ken

Phil Mueller
04-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Thanks Ken. Don’t know the issue. Haven’t had a problem posting pictures in the past. I tried to edit, but all I could do was add thumbnails.

Hasin Haroon
04-03-2018, 12:02 AM
Hey Matt,

Here's mine. I have most of my tools on a tool wall, my regular user planes in a till, and a few vintage stanley planes above the till. The joinery planes are all in a small case. I recently built a sharpening bench where I keep all my stones etc.

I tried going the tool chest route but found I always reached for the tools that were readily available outside the chest, and also disliked bending over everytime I wanted to retrieve or put away a tool (and I'm not even 30...)

So as for your question about what works and what doesn't - I like to keep everything within a single degree of separation, so every tool has it's own space that it does not share with any other, is easily accessible without bending, and does not require me to move anything out of the way to access. These are my tool storage principles that I find work best for me. I still keep the chest to store stuff in if I'm leaving for a while. I live in a very dry, cold climate, so rust isn't a big concern in my basement shop.

382978382979382980 382981382982382983382984

Andrew Seemann
04-03-2018, 1:13 AM
I'm with Hasin on accessibility. I started out going down the Studley path but very quickly realized I didn't have the patience for all the flips and trips and slides. Anything more than a peg, a slot, a hole, or a turn button just irritated me every time I used it and even more when I went back to return the tool.

Todd Zucker
04-03-2018, 4:27 PM
I built a hanging tool cabinet based on the Mike Pekovich plans when I was starting to use hand tools. It is a good size and depth.

I originally had the bench under the cabinet but about 2 feet away from the wall. Every time I needed a tool, I would squeeze behind the bench to get it.

I then saw a Christopher Schwarz blog post suggesting putting the bench next to the wall for a couple of months to see how that setup works. I moved it so the rear edge of the bench is underneath the cabinet, overlapping by a few inches. It works much better, as I can now just reach across the bench for any of the hand tools, and if I drop something it will hit the bench rather than the floor (or my foot). The base of the tool cabinet is about a foot above the bench, which feels about right, although it could be even lower.

I am still trying to figure out what to do about hanging the saws, i.e., a rack with pegs vs. a horizontal shelf vs. a saw till.

I keep some other small tools in the drawers on the tall rolling cart, and it is built to hold systainer drawers so I can change it around if need be. Drives me a little crazy because the tool cabinet is hung level but the garage floor is sloped, so the tall cabinet always looks tilted.

You said you have systainers, so you might have a Festool CT. For screwdrivers and hammers and stuff that I use frequently away from the workbench, I built a shelf thing that "hugs" a large systainer sitting on top of the dust extractor.

It lifts off when I need to change the bag. It looks strange, but it is nice having a tool rack that moves wherever I need it to be. It is not "tippy" at all, and I might re-do it at some point to provide more tool storage.

Jason Baker IX
04-03-2018, 5:23 PM
I laugh when some of you guys talk about your "small" shop. My shop is only 60in (5ft) wide, and cabinets mounted above waist height would be a problem. My tools lived on peg board for a while, but now I've moved most of the tools into a Dutch tool chest. I recently added another section below the chest for more storage and to set the tool chest at a nice working height. Here's a picture of my setup with the front doors removed before I added tools.

glenn bradley
04-03-2018, 5:58 PM
Lots of discussion on this. Do a search something like '"tool storage", "tool cabinet" site:www.sawmillcreek.org (http://www.sawmillcreek.org)'.

Besides some wall hanging stuff I put drawers in everything. Drawers at the bench,

drawers in tool stands.

383063 , 383061

383062 . 383059 . 383060

Zach Dillinger
04-04-2018, 10:50 AM
I have been using this antique, though modified, tool chest for the last ten years or so. I've got several others stocked with stuff that doesn't get used much, including the green chest with joiner's molding planes, sash planes, etc. visible in the bench pic.

I recently started building Williamsburg-inspired racks and shelves in my shop and like them so far for saws and other things I use frequently.

I keep my set of c.1770 Gabriel hollows and rounds in a small mule chest so I can rescue them if there were ever a fire in my shop.

Wall mounted clamp rack.

brian zawatsky
04-04-2018, 12:40 PM
I have been using this antique, though modified, tool chest for the last ten years or so. I've got several others stocked with stuff that doesn't get used much, including the green chest with joiner's molding planes, sash planes, etc. visible in the bench pic.

I recently started building Williamsburg-inspired racks and shelves in my shop and like them so far for saws and other things I use frequently.

I keep my set of c.1770 Gabriel hollows and rounds in a small mule chest so I can rescue them if there were ever a fire in my shop.

Wall mounted clamp rack.

You have a beautiful shop, Zach. My shop is in the basement so I am envious of all the natural light you get through those windows! Also, magnificent set of H&Rs! I'm drooling lol

steven c newman
04-04-2018, 6:46 PM
Details elsewhere, butthe drill til part is completed..
Sitting to the left of the plane til..
Not all drills were in the til..
As not all the saws are in their til..
Some just hang around, until needed..
Along with the clamps...all the other stuff has drawers to hide in..
And on top of about any flat surface..
Still a work in progress.....

Matt Lau
04-04-2018, 6:49 PM
Thanks, guys! And nice bench, Brian! It's stout.

I'd like to add that my workshop isn't humidity controlled, and I'd be somewhat concerned about possible rust.
I'll be pouring over these designs.

Thanks for making my day (as I have a cranky patient with a painful filling coming up in an hour).

Matt Lau
04-04-2018, 7:24 PM
Lots of discussion on this. Do a search something like '"tool storage", "tool cabinet" site:www.sawmillcreek.org (http://www.sawmillcreek.org)'.

Besides some wall hanging stuff I put drawers in everything. Drawers at the bench,

drawers in tool stands.

383063 , 383061

383062 . 383059 . 383060

Hey Glenn,

I'd actually spent about 3 days going through threads on Sawmill Creek, Garage Journal, and Pinterest prior to posting this thread up. The challenge is that most things are for power tool users, not hard core neanderthals.

Something like Stan's mahogany tool chest (thread from a few years back) are as rare as unicorns online.
I think that his only complaint was that it was a backbreaker to move from Guam.

Matt Lau
04-04-2018, 10:41 PM
I built a hanging tool cabinet based on the Mike Pekovich plans when I was starting to use hand tools. It is a good size and depth.

I originally had the bench under the cabinet but about 2 feet away from the wall. Every time I needed a tool, I would squeeze behind the bench to get it.

I then saw a Christopher Schwarz blog post suggesting putting the bench next to the wall for a couple of months to see how that setup works. I moved it so the rear edge of the bench is underneath the cabinet, overlapping by a few inches. It works much better, as I can now just reach across the bench for any of the hand tools, and if I drop something it will hit the bench rather than the floor (or my foot). The base of the tool cabinet is about a foot above the bench, which feels about right, although it could be even lower.

I am still trying to figure out what to do about hanging the saws, i.e., a rack with pegs vs. a horizontal shelf vs. a saw till.

I keep some other small tools in the drawers on the tall rolling cart, and it is built to hold systainer drawers so I can change it around if need be. Drives me a little crazy because the tool cabinet is hung level but the garage floor is sloped, so the tall cabinet always looks tilted.

You said you have systainers, so you might have a Festool CT. For screwdrivers and hammers and stuff that I use frequently away from the workbench, I built a shelf thing that "hugs" a large systainer sitting on top of the dust extractor.

It lifts off when I need to change the bag. It looks strange, but it is nice having a tool rack that moves wherever I need it to be. It is not "tippy" at all, and I might re-do it at some point to provide more tool storage.

Is the arm on a Boom arm? That's a sweet setup!
I can picture using something like that on the Deluxe dust deputy systainer on a CT36.

Matt Lau
04-04-2018, 10:43 PM
I laugh when some of you guys talk about your "small" shop. My shop is only 60in (5ft) wide, and cabinets mounted above waist height would be a problem. My tools lived on peg board for a while, but now I've moved most of the tools into a Dutch tool chest. I recently added another section below the chest for more storage and to set the tool chest at a nice working height. Here's a picture of my setup with the front doors removed before I added tools.

How long is your workshop then?

All joking aside, most of my life my workshop was my bedroom...or whatever random place I can brace some wood to work with. This might by why I'm drawn to the ergonomics of Japanese tools. I don't know Chinese tools enough to comment.

Todd Zucker
04-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Very low tech boom arm. 3/4" pvc zip tied to a block of oak with a 3/4" hole drilled at an angle in the bottom. Rests/swings on vertical 3/4" aluminum rod. The boom arm and/or the aluminum rod can be removed if not needed. Hose height is adjusted by sliding a 1/2" plastic garden stake or dowel far enough inside the pvc to make it droop just the right amount. Vac hose attached by one piece of Velcro near the tip.

Not the prettiest thing in the world, but works great. I wish I had made the shelves a little longer to hold more tools.

It is really handy to have the hand tools low, in plain sight and mobile, so that I can grab a tool without having to hunt for it.

glenn bradley
04-05-2018, 11:41 AM
Hey Glenn,

I'd actually spent about 3 days going through threads on Sawmill Creek, Garage Journal, and Pinterest prior to posting this thread up. The challenge is that most things are for power tool users, not hard core neanderthals.

Something like Stan's mahogany tool chest (thread from a few years back) are as rare as unicorns online.
I think that his only complaint was that it was a backbreaker to move from Guam.

No worries. The built in search is sometimes less than stellar. Just trying to help. I should have noticed this was in the Neander sub-forum and not posted solutions that involve machine bases :o. Tool chests do herald back to by gone days but, the heft factor can get away from us. I have built things that were things of organizational wonder; I just could pick them up. I do like the idea of 2 or 3 stacking chests that hold items focused for different tasks. This lets you stay mobile without having to bring the kitchen sink when you don't need it.

Robert Engel
04-05-2018, 12:15 PM

I think you have to allow for expansion.

One mistake I made was not allowing for enough chisel space.

When I get my LN chisel set, the Blue Marples will go back in their box

I've considered making the doors thicker so I can add a second layer.

Philipp Jaindl
04-05-2018, 2:32 PM
This is a really interessting thread, I've been trying to put together a Mobile tool chest with all the essential tools for quite some time. There are so many ways to approach the "Problem" picking one isnt easy, i think Toolstorage is a never ending project with constant changes, new ideas etc.

Granted im not hardcore Neanderthal, in some aspects Powertools are just too handy those thankfully do come in their own container most of the time though.

Christopher Charles
04-05-2018, 5:23 PM
Hi Matt and all,

Here's my modest set up. The 'wall' is plywood scraps hung by french cleat. I've just started milling wood for a N. Bennett style set of drawers that will go under my workbench for smaller stuff as well (though that will be months as I'm in the middle of a move...). I decided to use a quick and easy approach to start with and eventually will build something a bit nicer. Note, I live in a relatively low humidity climate, so rust is not a major issue.

Good luck!

Christopher Charles
04-05-2018, 5:25 PM
Hi Matt,

"
I think that his only complaint was that it was a backbreaker to move from Guam."

Would you mind posting a link to Stan's chest? I dimly recall the thread, but didn't find it in a quick search...

Thanks,
C

Stanley Covington
04-05-2018, 9:40 PM
Hi Matt,

"
I think that his only complaint was that it was a backbreaker to move from Guam."

Would you mind posting a link to Stan's chest? I dimly recall the thread, but didn't find it in a quick search...

Thanks,
C

Chris:

I can't find it either. I need to take those vitamins to improve ones memory, but I forgot the name :D

I will try to repost some pictures tonight. I still have the drawings here somewhere.

Stan

David Bassett
04-05-2018, 10:02 PM
... I can't find it either. ...

Found a couple threads that might qualify:

Plane & hand tool storage? (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201745-Plane-amp-hand-tool-storage&p=2098437#post2098437)

Toolchest Lid-Mounted Tools (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?240099-Toolchest-Lid-Mounted-Tools)

PS- searched with Google and:

"Stanley Covington" mahogany tool box or chest site:sawmillcreek.org

as the search string.

Stanley Covington
04-05-2018, 11:14 PM
Found a couple threads that might qualify:

Plane & hand tool storage? (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201745-Plane-amp-hand-tool-storage&p=2098437#post2098437)

Toolchest Lid-Mounted Tools (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?240099-Toolchest-Lid-Mounted-Tools)

PS- searched with Google and:

"Stanley Covington" mahogany tool box or chest site:sawmillcreek.org

as the search string.

David:

That's it. Thanks for finding it.

I since got rid of the piss-poor Kiyohisa chisels that were mounted inside the lid. I can't believe what people are willing to pay for such mediocre tools, even used. I guess the writeup up in Asahi shinbum newspaper made his fortune.

I have a set of shinogi oirenomi made by my current blacksmith that are soooo much better and soooo much less expensive.

This toolchest is an excellent solution, especially for a tight workshop.

You may recall that I am unimpressed with tool storage systems that expose tools to dust and air. I have racks adjacent my workbench where I keep saws and planes I am using, but not for permanent storage. Simply closing the lid of either toolchest or sawtill encloses the tools protecting them from dust and humidity. Easy, speedy access. Paul Seller's video studio is not the real world.

Seriously heavy, but once in place I don't move it around much.

The milkpaint is holding up well. Once again, thanks to Mr. Schwarz and Mike Dunbar for the introduction and tips. I cannot recommend this finish too highly. Ditto the shellac interior. Genius. Thank you Mr. Schwarz.

The tool arrangement inside the lid is working well too. I will probably diddle with it some more, but I am happy overall.

Stan

PS: Looking at those pics, I realized that I may be one-up on Master Brian Holcombe: I have lace curtains! Now I guess I need to get out my tux and buy a silk brocade waistcoat and a tophat to wear when sawing and planing. 且(ツ)Don't have bandsaw....

Todd Zucker
04-06-2018, 6:56 AM
Thanks for the links and the original post. That is incredible.

Matt Lau
04-06-2018, 3:23 PM
Very low tech boom arm. 3/4" pvc zip tied to a block of oak with a 3/4" hole drilled at an angle in the bottom. Rests/swings on vertical 3/4" aluminum rod. The boom arm and/or the aluminum rod can be removed if not needed. Hose height is adjusted by sliding a 1/2" plastic garden stake or dowel far enough inside the pvc to make it droop just the right amount. Vac hose attached by one piece of Velcro near the tip.

Not the prettiest thing in the world, but works great. I wish I had made the shelves a little longer to hold more tools.

It is really handy to have the hand tools low, in plain sight and mobile, so that I can grab a tool without having to hunt for it.

I like your version better than the festool version.

Todd Zucker
04-06-2018, 6:25 PM
Thanks, Matt, but after seeing another post I realized we should stop talking about my contraption on this subforum unless we come up with a foot pedaled dust extractor.

I do also like Stan's version much better than mine. He makes a good point that for tools that rust, a closed cabinet will keep away the dust and humidity.

Matt Lau
04-07-2018, 3:10 PM
Stan's version is what got me started on thinking about how to do things in a better way.

There's only a few things that make me want to do things differently:
1. It's heavy! I think that moving is extremely difficult.
I'd like to do something modular that can clip together.
2. It's intimidatingly tasteful!
I'm a complete noob. Also, I'm used to working differently.
3. At the time, I didn't know he has wall racks for tools in use currently.

My changes would be:
1. Modular
2. Cassette based system.
I'm used to having things prepackaged in cassettes for surgery (no I don't have it for my practice yet, but plan to).
When it comes to finding and hunting for stuff, I can be a bit of a Dr. Magoo or an absentminded professor.
3. Probably have the cassettes solidly clip into a rail or on the workbench.

of course, I'm probably overcomplicating things.
They also probably won't look as nice.

john jesseph
04-07-2018, 3:40 PM
You should have a woodworking tech just hand you the tool you need off a mayo stand in your shop. Then you hand it back when you are done, and they put it away.

steven c newman
04-07-2018, 3:48 PM
Have made a chest for tools a few years back..
It now sits empty and un-used.....got tired of bending over to dif a tool out....and if the lid stayed closed for too long, it became buried under all sorts of stuff, that I would then have to clear off, just to get one tool out. IF Anyone wants the empty chest...come over and pick it up. I'll keep the tools, though. Spiders might take offense to being evicted...oh well.

john jesseph
04-07-2018, 3:53 PM
Sounds like you have too much stuff.

steven c newman
04-07-2018, 4:17 PM
Nah, never too much stuff....just my back didn't like all the bending over to get a tool or two out, and then put them back....
There WAS two chests in the shop...this one is now a Blanket Chest..
Again, same issues with bending over..
I even made a Tote, to load up and carry over to the bench..
All the toys needed for a day's work.

Tops on both got to be a "catch-all".....slowly got to be a bit much....went with the Chest of drawers, and a few tils...

john jesseph
04-07-2018, 4:39 PM
Nah, never too much stuff...

Wow, hmm. To each his own!

For the OP, I am with Stan on this: closed containers primarily to keep dust off tools. Tool chests, rolling cabinets, wall cabinets, just depends on your workflow. If you like having a lot of tools and enjoy being in their presence, piling them around in the open is a solution also.

Malcolm Schweizer
04-07-2018, 5:02 PM
I have shared this before, but here is my latest slatwall storage and a repurposed cabinet for the planes.

Jim Koepke
04-07-2018, 8:14 PM
Tops on both got to be a "catch-all".....slowly got to be a bit much....went with the Chest of drawers, and a few tils...

My back also doesn't like a lot of bending over.

If one has a habit of utilizing every flat space available, perhaps that is a good reason to build a coopered top for their traditional tool chest.

I have shared this before, but here is my latest slatwall storage and a repurposed cabinet for the planes.

Wow Malcolm, the slatwall storage looks like a hardware store display.

jtk

Malcolm Schweizer
04-07-2018, 8:40 PM
Wow Malcolm, the slatwall storage looks like a hardware store display.

jtk

That was kind of the inspiration. I saw everything hanging up and easy to find what you want and said, "why can't my shop be this organized?" ...and now it is!

bridger berdel
04-07-2018, 11:17 PM
You should have a woodworking tech just hand you the tool you need off a mayo stand in your shop. Then you hand it back when you are done, and they put it away.

Ahem. SHARPEN it and put it away.

ken hatch
04-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Looking back through this thread I've come to the conclusion either there are some sick puppies posting photos of their shop or each was cleaned for the photo, even Steven's is relatively ordered and clean. I can understand Brian's shop being the way that it is, someone that works in a Tux is just that way but everyone else? I'm going with the sick puppy explanation.

BTW, here are a couple of photos of my shop as I left it last night. I'm mid fitting joinery on the new traveling workbench:

As you can see, there ain't a sick puppy in my shop :p,

ken

glenn bradley
04-08-2018, 2:15 PM
Must have forgot to hit "post" . . . This non-member link (http://www.finewoodworking.com/2017/07/12/all-time-favorite-tool-storage-of-all-time?source=w1724enl&tp=i-H43-BC-7zo-Of4Vu-1o-1B0A-1c-Of3KN-NNkEP&sourcekey=w1724enl&utm_campaign=fine-woodworking-eletter&utm_source=eletter&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=fw_eletter&cid=30740&mid=364420866) just came from FWW mag online. Has some good ideas for wall cabinets as well as tool chests.

steven c newman
04-08-2018, 2:31 PM
Well, there is always one of these...
Was posted in WOOD Magazine a few years ago....

Matt Lau
04-08-2018, 7:11 PM

Let me correct myself. My changes from Stan's will be:
1. It'll be modular (so that I can move them with my underdeveloped man muscles).
2. It'll be not as well made.
3. It'll probably have some obnoxious primary colors so that I remember where to stick the tools in the right place.

I'll probably need to mock up a system to work out of prior to committing it to wood.
But then again, I tend to overcomplicate things.

As for cassettes, I realized on the way back from work that woodworking doesn't work that way...

It feel like different projects require all sorts of difference combinations of tools.

Matt Lau
04-08-2018, 7:11 PM
Oh, and I have a few spare surgical stands at my office.
They were inherited by a dentist from the 1960's

Matt Lau
04-08-2018, 7:18 PM
Man, it's been about 2 years since I looked at Stan's chest.

I can't think of a more compact way to do what he does, and a more elegant way to store things.
For some weird reason, I remembered it as a 4 foot tall behemoth tool chest with a Disston down the back.

It's a humbling thing to look at.

But yes, I think I'd hurt myself if I tried to move it.

Todd Zucker
04-08-2018, 8:33 PM
You will also need a separate sterile cabinet for the dental braces and bits. Neander and dental tools are not always compatible.

Shane MacMillan
04-08-2018, 9:51 PM
This may be obvious but I can't seem to find it yet... How do I add attachments to my posts?

Jim Koepke
04-09-2018, 1:11 AM
This may be obvious but I can't seem to find it yet... How do I add attachments to my posts?

Howdy Shane and a belated welcome to the Creek.

Attachments are pretty easy. For images your file size has to be under 2 MB if you want SMC to host the image. (a good idea actually).

When working from a Quick Reply window click on the icon above the window that looks like a picture of a tree:

You may have to select "From Computer" then "Choose File" to navigate through your files to the image you want to attach, click "Upload file" and wait. The dialog box should disappear and leave something looking like this:

There is also the double click the "Reply to Thread" or "Go Advanced" button that will bring up a few more icons. In that case there is also a paper clip to access previously attached files and to add more.

jtk

Was it Ed Murrow who said, "if you are not thoroughly confused, then you just do not understand the situation."

Shane MacMillan
04-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Aha! When I try in Chrome I don't get the header for the reply field. Firefox it works fine.

Not much to look at but serves its purpose. I really need to replace the one on the left. Its an accident waiting to happen. An old project for a bathroom that never made it into the bathroom. Eventually I'm going to work on a cabinet but short term make a plane till.

Matt Lau
04-10-2018, 12:23 AM
i actually like it a lot.

Looks honest, in a stripped down deconstructed way.

Derek Cohen
04-10-2018, 3:12 AM
I subscribe to the idea that everything you need should be nearby ...

https://s19.postimg.org/mstatjzzn/2a_zpsr3knvswv.jpg

And everything else is packed away under the watchful eye of a bench dog ... :)

https://s19.postimg.org/k0o9a5n4z/AWRentrysmall.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek