PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania secretary

Bob Glenn
04-02-2018, 3:41 PM
This probably belongs in projects, but I usually hang out here, so here goes. Inspired by Glen Huey's 18th century Pennsylvania secretary, I set out to build the hardest piece I've ever attempted including my Windsor chairs. So off to the saw mill with check book in hand to buy lots and lots of cherry. This was in 2016 after finishing six months of chemo after surgery for pancreatic cancer. I figured if I'm going to do this, I'd better get started now since I didn't know about the future.

I had done some dovetailing before, but never on a piece this big, so I had to get creative. So proud of myself, I sent this picture to P/W magazine as a shop tip and it was published.

john jesseph
04-02-2018, 3:46 PM
Good stuff there! Hoping your health is improved and sustained, sorry to hear about your battle.

Bob Glenn
04-02-2018, 3:54 PM
After the usual Christmas gift making interruptions, the bottom case and drawers were beginning to take shape. Cutting dove tails was becoming old hat and that Knew Concepts coping saw earned with my published shop tip certainly came in handy. This is one year out of chemo and things are looking up for me and the secretary!

Bob Glenn
04-02-2018, 4:05 PM
Lots and lots of dove tails. I lost count of the hours and the number of individual pieces of wood in this, however, I did keep track of the number of dove tails cut......238! Actually there were a few more since I got tangled up in my underwear a few times making the drawer sides. It's so easy to get turned around!

With a big leap of faith, the gallery has been started. Other than the crown molding this was the most challenging part. Lots of little details to plan out and execute here, but I can finally see the end..........I think. Oh, have I mentioned secret compartments......You just have to build in some secret compartments, there are seven, but don't tell anyone.

!

Mel Fulks
04-02-2018, 4:12 PM
Well, old hat is another term for proficient. Fine piece ,and you are willing yourself into the future. Casey Kasum might say
"you've got the feet on the ground while you reach for the drawers !"

Bob Glenn
04-02-2018, 4:14 PM
In every large project there is usually a place where you just get stuck and mired down. So with the bottom case unfinished, I moved on to the top case. This piece is getting bigger than I thought and it's starting to take up lot of space in my small shop. This problem will unexpectedly resolve itself in a few months!

Bob Glenn
04-02-2018, 4:27 PM
Did I tell you this project drug out for over two years? Did I mention there were a few interruptions? Late last summer, wife and I, over a glass of wine and beer enjoying the sun going down over the lake, I mentioned that getting older, we should consider moving into a single story house to eliminate the stairs. While not a problem now, you just can't predict the future. I was thinking four or five years down the road, wife was thinking sooner and put the word out around the family. Well, oldest grandson emailed us a picture of a stunning house on a lake about an hour away, close to family and located right between two golf courses. We went and looked, then looked again two days later, made and offer and bingo, we now own a new house!

You can't believe how much stuff you accumulate living in one place for 35 years! We took stuff to the auction house, the dump, Goodwill and antique shops. Two months later, one large moving van load and 23 trips back and forth my Promaster van loaded, we are in to our new home and work eventually resumes on the secretary!

Bob Glenn
04-02-2018, 5:17 PM
Well, I have to fast forward again. Things got a little blurry after tearing down my nice "forever" eighteenth century shop and moving it all into a three car garage. It took me months to find everything again and I still haven't found my favorite pair of calipers! The nice thing is now that it's winter, and a really cold one, my new shop is heated and just outside the kitchen door. Handy!

One more interruption, albeit a good one.........the new neighbor and I have a lot in common, wood working and golf. Too cold for golf, so............have you ever made a Windsor chair? We just need to find a nice oak log to split up. Did I tell you we now live between two golf courses? Just so happens they are removing some oak trees and the price is right! A couple months later and two new Windsors are born.

Details, details, details. I hate the last stages of any project, especially the ones that go on and on. I've got to get this thing done! I'm not looking forward the curved capitol molding on the top case. It has to be just right to enhance the over-all design, but with in my abilities, which are limited. I've steam bent lots of wood for chairs, but this is beyond doing that, plus I have to figure out how to miter the corners perfectly since it will be the focus of attention. That finally completed, I turned three finials, before I got one that I liked.

Okay the hard part is over, I thought. I forgot about the six unfinished drawers in the gallery! I used hollows and rounds to plane the drawer front profiles then cut them apart into each drawer face, but haven't as of yet slogged through the process of cutting compound half blind dove tailed sides. I did the bottom gallery drawers that way, then cheated on the other four by attaching the drawer fronts on to quarter inch thick fronts with compound through dove tails. So, it's finally done, except I now have to move it into the house. Some help from a couple weight lifter guys from the YMCA gets that done, because I can't lift either the top or the bottom.

Some dangling details......Primary wood is cherry, including the back, with secondary woods of poplar and oak. Horton Brass hardware. Fifteen drawers, seven hidden compartments, 238 dove tails, three coats of oil, two coats of wax, hand carved sunbursts behind the raised panel arch top doors, and two slide out candle holders. Lots of little mistakes, but I've learned not to tell on myself and learned by each and every mistake.

Inscribed on the bottom of the top drawer, for future eyes to behold and ponder is this: "Below the lock that holds the key, one is easy, but there are three. For those who are curious and patient be, there are many more in the gallery. Look at the very bottom and you will see, the one who made this, it is me."

David Harris
04-02-2018, 6:20 PM
Wow! awesome job!

George Bokros
04-02-2018, 6:27 PM
Beautiful! Great use of figure, design is spot on. Execution is flawless.

Jim Koepke
04-02-2018, 6:31 PM
Very nice piece Bob.

Hidden spaces always make me curious as to how to hide them. Like any other secret, once someone is told, they are no longer secret.

jtk

Bob Glenn
04-02-2018, 6:54 PM
Thanks, George, but not flawless!

brian zawatsky
04-02-2018, 8:56 PM
That, sir, is a masterpiece! Beautiful work.

Malcolm McLeod
04-02-2018, 9:15 PM
Beautiful and a triumph on many levels!

Bill McDermott
04-03-2018, 1:03 AM
Bob, Your project is a great inspiration. Congratulations.

Al Launier
04-03-2018, 8:59 AM
What a gorgeous exhibit of craftsmanship! That legacy furniture will astound those who see it for the person you obviously are. Wonderful piece of furniture indeed.

Hopefully you'll build many more for many years to come.

Karl Andersson
04-03-2018, 9:07 AM
Bob,
thanks for sharing your story and the project - significant achievements all around.
Karl

Christopher Charles
04-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Bob,

Thanks for an inspiring story! A beautiful piece. Congrats!

Chris

Christian Hawkshaw
04-03-2018, 7:21 PM
Wow...what a nice piece.

Stew Denton
04-03-2018, 10:12 PM
Bob,

Beautiful! I love the classic design and it is well executed.

Stew

Jerry Olexa
04-03-2018, 10:32 PM
Very nice work Bob....Also hope you heal quickly,

Derek Cohen
04-04-2018, 3:01 AM
Bob, not only is that a wonderful piece that most of us just aspire to build - and you have done so, and beautifully - but I also want to know how treatment has progressed? It sounds optimistic.

Regards from Auckland

Derek

Bob Glenn
04-04-2018, 11:23 AM
Thanks to all. Your input means a lot to me. Bob

Bob Glenn
04-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Bob, not only is that a wonderful piece that most of us just aspire to build - and you have done so, and beautifully - but I also want to know how treatment has progressed? It sounds optimistic.

Regards from Auckland

Derek

Thanks for your concern, Derek. I started losing weight three years ago and was quickly diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Most die with in a year since there are usually no symptoms until it's too late. They caught mine early enough to surgically remove the tumor, half my pancreas part of my stomach and 30 lymph nodes. It was a six hour surgery followed by eight days in the hospital and six months of chemo. I have been given a one in five chance of surviving this, however, now out of chemo, I get a CT scan every three to six months looking for cancer recurrence. My oncologist says this cancer usually recurs within the first year and usually in the liver. Latest scan showed no cancer anywhere and my liver is great. They won't talk about being cured until five years, but I'm three years in to this and doing well, so everyone is keeping their fingers crossed.

This has been a life changing event and curiously it has positive side. I no longer take any moment or day for granted. Life is precious, don't waste a minute.

Well, I've gone on too long about this, but thanks for asking. I'm going to be okay! Bob Glenn

Tony Wilkins
04-04-2018, 1:04 PM
Thanks for your concern, Derek. I started losing weight three years ago and was quickly diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Most die with in a year since there are usually no symptoms until it's too late. They caught mine early enough to surgically remove the tumor, half my pancreas part of my stomach and 30 lymph nodes. It was a six hour surgery followed by eight days in the hospital and six months of chemo. I have been given a one in five chance of surviving this, however, now out of chemo, I get a CT scan every three to six months looking for cancer recurrence. My oncologist says this cancer usually recurs within the first year and usually in the liver. Latest scan showed no cancer anywhere and my liver is great. They won't talk about being cured until five years, but I'm three years in to this and doing well, so everyone is keeping their fingers crossed.

This has been a life changing event and curiously it has positive side. I no longer take any moment or day for granted. Life is precious, don't waste a minute.

Well, I've gone on too long about this, but thanks for asking. I'm going to be okay! Bob Glennpraying for complete remission.

Mike Henderson
04-04-2018, 2:48 PM
Beautiful job, Bob. Couple of questions:

1. Did you purchase plans for the secretary or draw your own? If you drew your own, how did you choose the dimensions? I know Gottshall published plans for many antiques in his books but I'm not sure if he did a Pennsylvania secretary.

2. How did you shape the top curved molding (I guess you might call it the crest molding)? Did you use a shaper? If a router, how did you get that profile? Or did you shape it by hand?

3. How is the top section attached to the bottom? It obviously needs to be a very solid attachment.

Great job on the secretary - it's a lot of work.

Mike

Bob Glenn
04-04-2018, 7:08 PM
Hi, Mike. Thanks for looking. I bought Glen Huey's book, "Illustrated guide to Building Period Furniture". It was the initial inspiration for the project and constant reference. I doesn't have measured drawings, however there is an exploded view of the secretary and a bill of material with approximate sizes. While it guided me, I looked at lots and lots of pictures on line for ideas. A lot of the details are my own.

As I stated, the capitol molding was one of the hardest parts. It took me a long time to figure out how to make it considering my skill and equipment. I think the book says to use some custom profiled router bits, however, that gets into lots of expense. I wish I could say it is hand carved which I considered doing. My half set of hollows and rounds were useless since it curves, so I finally settled on laying out the curves on three different pieces of wood then routing the various profiles and gluing it all up into one piece. I extended the curves of the molding out enough that I could cut the miters as one piece after glue up. I sort of cheated, but I like the result and you would be hard pressed to know how I did by looking at the piece. I also considered making the capitol molding with straight lines as in the secretary build in FWW a couple years ago, however, I glad I spend the extra time and effort on the curved molding. I think it adds a dramatic statement to the piece.

The top piece is separate from the bottom and is NOT attached to the bottom case. The waist molding separating the two pieces is attached to the top case and hides the dove tails on sides of the bottom and top cases. It is heavy enough to just sit without any anchoring.

Thanks for your interest. I am flattered by all the compliments. This is a great group to be associated with. Bob

Jim Koepke
04-04-2018, 8:51 PM
The top piece is separate from the bottom and is NOT attached to the bottom case. The waist molding separating the two pieces is attached to the top case and hides the dove tails on sides of the bottom and top cases. It is heavy enough to just sit without any anchoring.

Unless it is on the west coast. Then you would not only want them attached to each other, but also anchored to the wall just in case old shakey decides to roll over.

jtk

Dave Beauchesne
04-04-2018, 11:47 PM
Wonderful Bob - you have been through so much - looks like things are working in your favor, and, you spent lots of quality time with the secretary.

Dave B

Thomas Kila
04-06-2018, 9:18 PM
Seriously, Bob...that's beautiful work. The largest thing I've ever built was a Shaker Chest of Drawers (obviously, with no embellishments). And that took me six months! I can't even wrap my head around taking on a project a complex as yours. Thank you for sharing!

Earl

Jerry Olexa
04-06-2018, 9:30 PM
Well, I have to fast forward again. Things got a little blurry after tearing down my nice "forever" eighteenth century shop and moving it all into a three car garage. It took me months to find everything again and I still haven't found my favorite pair of calipers! The nice thing is now that it's winter, and a really cold one, my new shop is heated and just outside the kitchen door. Handy!

One more interruption, albeit a good one.........the new neighbor and I have a lot in common, wood working and golf. Too cold for golf, so............have you ever made a Windsor chair? We just need to find a nice oak log to split up. Did I tell you we now live between two golf courses? Just so happens they are removing some oak trees and the price is right! A couple months later and two new Windsors are born.

Details, details, details. I hate the last stages of any project, especially the ones that go on and on. I've got to get this thing done! I'm not looking forward the curved capitol molding on the top case. It has to be just right to enhance the over-all design, but with in my abilities, which are limited. I've steam bent lots of wood for chairs, but this is beyond doing that, plus I have to figure out how to miter the corners perfectly since it will be the focus of attention. That finally completed, I turned three finials, before I got one that I liked.

Must comment again: That is exceptional work!!! Much craftmanship!!! be proud..You are doing noteworthy work worthy of all our praise....Thanks for sharing your excellent project!!!

Okay the hard part is over, I thought. I forgot about the six unfinished drawers in the gallery! I used hollows and rounds to plane the drawer front profiles then cut them apart into each drawer face, but haven't as of yet slogged through the process of cutting compound half blind dove tailed sides. I did the bottom gallery drawers that way, then cheated on the other four by attaching the drawer fronts on to quarter inch thick fronts with compound through dove tails. So, it's finally done, except I now have to move it into the house. Some help from a couple weight lifter guys from the YMCA gets that done, because I can't lift either the top or the bottom.

Some dangling details......Primary wood is cherry, including the back, with secondary woods of poplar and oak. Horton Brass hardware. Fifteen drawers, seven hidden compartments, 238 dove tails, three coats of oil, two coats of wax, hand carved sunbursts behind the raised panel arch top doors, and two slide out candle holders. Lots of little mistakes, but I've learned not to tell on myself and learned by each and every mistake.

Inscribed on the bottom of the top drawer, for future eyes to behold and ponder is this: "Below the lock that holds the key, one is easy, but there are three. For those who are curious and patient be, there are many more in the gallery. Look at the very bottom and you will see, the one who made this, it is me."

Must comment again: That is exceptional work!!! Much craftmanship!!! be proud..You are doing noteworthy work very much worthy of our praise....Thanks for sharing your project!!! Also like your statement on the drawer!!!

Malcolm Schweizer
04-07-2018, 11:55 AM
Amazing work. I give it a standing ovation.

Bob Glenn
04-07-2018, 3:59 PM
Must comment again: That is exceptional work!!! Much craftmanship!!! be proud..You are doing noteworthy work very much worthy of our praise....Thanks for sharing your project!!! Also like your statement on the drawer!!!

Thanks Jerry and all. As far as the little message on the bottom of the drawer, I always try to leave a little something on the bigger pieces to puzzle and amuse those in the future. I made a toy chest with a till for the grand kids a few years ago and on the inside of lid I carved "To see the secret of the past, you must use a looking glass."

It took them several weeks to figure it out. On the underside of till lid that slides out is my name and the date it was made.....written backwards. The only way to see and read it is with a mirror.