PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2018, 8:52 AM
2 Apr 2018

Greetings,
The good news this week is that I got some time in the shop. The LOML wanted some shelves in the garage so that's what we worked on. We used wood I had in the shop to save money and make use of what I couldn't use on furniture projects. We grilled out this weekend, I put tubes in 2 tires on our ZTR lawn mower, pressure washed the mower, and I still have a tiny bit left to do on the shelves in the garage. The LOML and I decided that this year will be our year to get things done...so that's what we're setting out to do. We'll see how far it goes. :)
Easter service at church was good and enjoyed seeing people that we haven't seen in a while. Always good to meet up with folks that we don't see very often.

Back to the grind stone today at the day job and we'll see how this week goes.
That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Frederick Skelly
04-02-2018, 9:52 AM
Cut 10 pairs of dovetails for practice. Am getting closer to being able to fit them well, right off the saw. :)

Jay Larson
04-02-2018, 12:45 PM
Did some more framing in my basement. I have run out of fairly straight 2x4s, so I am cutting up the ones left over for blocking. Except for one, that one is going straight (I mean directly, there is nothing straight about that piece of lumber), to the fire pit. I can't even get a 14 1/2" piece of blocking out of it. I also ripped a few 2x2's for some furring strips.

Yesterday morning, I did a bit of sharpening and finalizing on a strop. Another level of sharpness obtained. So as long as I was 'there', I had to do the rest of my chisels and plane blades.

Spent yesterday afternoon with family.

Jim Becker
04-02-2018, 4:43 PM
From a woodworking standpoint, I did some slight changes in shop organization and built a "medicine cabinet" for in our kitchen to hold various OTC medications and first aid items. It wasn't a terribly exciting project, but it utilized scrap pre-finished plywood and fits in the tiny space between the refrigerator and the "fabulous fake fireplace" in the new kitchen layout. Something went truly amiss when I sprayed the finish on the door and there was some kind of reaction between the new finish and the pre-finished plywood surface of the panel, but there are no complaints about the very kewel design. It's also sporting the bold gray that the new upper cabinets will feature when I get them finished.

Otherwise, I've been working on "spring cleanup" things outside on days that were pleasant enough...I have a number of downed trees to deal with and other prep to complete before I can get the parking area and driveway paved (finally) to cut dirt and make winter weather easier to deal with into the future.

Oh, and today I took a little drive out to the Reading PA area to pickup some lovely cherry lumber from a fellow 'Creeker who's moving in a few months and needs to sell off his wood inventory and a bunch of tools. I with I had a pile of money, because if I did, I'd go back with a large truck and get the rest of what he has available.

In the next few days, I need to get the doors done for the new kitchen upper cabinets so I can have that job done and hung before the CNC arrives.

Mel Fulks
04-02-2018, 5:01 PM
It's nice, I particularly like shallow, real wood cabinets with dedicated purpose. Not so sure about the stone contact paper!
Ha! Ha. I know it's a lovely old place with real rocks.

Mel Fulks
04-02-2018, 5:17 PM
Frederick, sounds like you bought the "best " quality saw : " suitable for the true CRAFTSMAN who can work quickly and efficiently with super sharp teeth and no regrets about signing our liability waiver!"

Jim Becker
04-02-2018, 7:33 PM
It's nice, I particularly like shallow, real wood cabinets with dedicated purpose. Not so sure about the stone contact paper!
Ha! Ha. I know it's a lovely old place with real rocks.
Yea, real limestone like that end of the house, but that "fireplace" only goes to the top of the 6'10" ceiling. That's why I call it the "Fabulous Fake Fireplace", or some alternative version thereof. :D

Jerome Sidley
04-02-2018, 7:53 PM
Picked up a 5HP Oneida pro and a bunch of solid pipes382935.382936382937382938

Jared Sankovich
04-02-2018, 9:19 PM
I ran some moulding and installed it.

John K Jordan
04-02-2018, 9:32 PM
...We used wood I had in the shop to save money and make use of what I couldn't use on furniture projects...

I love not spending money on wood!

I'm fortunate to have a sawmill for my farm wood use. I'm working to finish the new peacock house since the babies are nearly grown and it's getting crowded. I put up the roof and poured concrete last year but didn't get started on finishing it until last week. I'm siding with eastern red cedar cut on the sawmill behind the barn. I can put the boards up green so when I run short of boards I just put another log on the mill. Love the smell. It's great to have a fork lift at hand.

382947 382948

This one is 12'x24' and about 10' high inside for some room to fly. The building in the background is the much smaller current peacock house. The two will be connected with a passageway for more space and separation control if needed. The little trailer is great for locking up tools at night. No one has come snooping around (the dogs would let me know) but better to be safe than sorry.

Also, we remain in the middle of multiple house remodeling projects, inside and out. Hiring out most of the work but I usually work along with the crew. This last week saw the new garage door in, we installed a new vanity in one bathroom, did some plumbing (I HATE plumbing), welded more rebar and built more forms for a concrete pour, hauled in 600+ brick pavers, helped tear down the big deck (a big job). Had one woodturning student on Tuesday and attended the Crossville turning club meeting on Wednesday. Moved and stacked 60 more bales of hay. Nine farm visitors in the last week.

JKJ

Frederick Skelly
04-03-2018, 6:34 AM
Frederick, sounds like you bought the "best " quality saw : " suitable for the true CRAFTSMAN who can work quickly and efficiently with super sharp teeth and no regrets about signing our liability waiver!"

Yes, the LN tapered dovetail is wonderful. It far outclasses the skill of its owner.
And no, no regrets about signing the waiver! ;)

Fred

Rod Sheridan
04-03-2018, 9:22 AM
383014383015I completed most of the sanding on the electric fireplace cabinet.

I tried out the tile fit, now time to stain and varnish.

Julie Moriarty
04-03-2018, 11:43 AM
Got 27 cabinet doors stained with General Finishes Whitewash. Once this project is done I will announce my retirement from making 5 piece cabinet doors and drawer fronts. Doing 100 of these has created some strange aversion to the job. :rolleyes:

mark mcfarlane
04-03-2018, 2:08 PM

I finished the maple face frames on one wall of my new shop cabinets. Drawers got finished last week. The poplar drawer fronts are out on the driveway today getting a suntan.

Jim Becker
04-03-2018, 3:38 PM
Got 27 cabinet doors stained with General Finishes Whitewash. Once this project is done I will announce my retirement from making 5 piece cabinet doors and drawer fronts. Doing 100 of these has created some strange aversion to the job. :rolleyes:
I'm doing some of those right now, albeit a much smaller number. I seriously don't blame you for wanting to "retire" from doors! I'm not fond of them, either...too much math for fitting the cope and stick the way I want them initially setup. LOL

Corey Pelton
04-03-2018, 4:06 PM
Almost finished with my table I've been working on over the weekends the past few weeks. Based on a design I saw on an Etsy page. Decided to see if I could recreate it.

Finishing has always been my weak point, so I tried to take my time on this one and do it right, or as right as my current skill level will allow, hah.

Assembled pic is before I started the finishing process. Still considering cutting down the glass a bit, just to help with overall form.

mark mcfarlane
04-03-2018, 4:36 PM
Almost finished with my table I've been working on over the weekends the past few weeks. ...

Very nice table Corey.

Jim Becker
04-03-2018, 5:54 PM
Wow, interesting design, Corey! I hope you'll post this in the Woodworking Projects forum area once you get through the process!

Julie Moriarty
04-03-2018, 7:21 PM
I'm doing some of those right now, albeit a much smaller number. I seriously don't blame you for wanting to "retire" from doors! I'm not fond of them, either...too much math for fitting the cope and stick the way I want them initially setup. LOL

Don't get me started, Jim! I woke up today thinking I'd start spraying the finish on the doors. You'd think someone asked me to jump into the volcano. Instead I worked on the braces for an acoustic guitar. But another beast was nagging at me and its due date is April 15. Taxes are now done but those cabinet doors... :confused:

Wayne Lomman
04-04-2018, 4:47 AM
It was a 4 day Easter weekend here in Australia. Replaced the blown voltage regulator in the Range Rover only for the new one to blow as well. Not happy... so the alternator is at the auto electrician to see if it can be repaired as the original configuration is no longer available. Followed that with finding out I had forgotten to refuel the other car. That is serious as we are a long way from a servo. Ran out of diesel 3km short. Long walk to get fuel. Followed the recommended procedure for bleeding the injectors. It didn't work. Went to get out tools. None in the car apart from one shifter and a horse hoof pick. Managed to use the hoof pick to get out Philips head screws, shifter to crack each injector to bleed them and got the car going. Followed that up with a migraine. At least that explained my absent mindedness with the fuel. Cheers

John K Jordan
04-04-2018, 6:33 AM
... Managed to use the hoof pick to get out Philips head screws, shifter to crack each injector to bleed them and got the car going. ...

Well that was creative!

I have a bunch of hoof picks but I've never thought of leaving one in the car for emergencies. :)

Charlie Knauer
04-04-2018, 6:54 AM
My past week accomplishment was I retired on Friday. Now to get my shop back into order and start some projects that have been waiting.

Jim Becker
04-04-2018, 8:33 AM
None in the car apart from one shifter and a horse hoof pick.
Hoof picks, hive tools (beekeeping) and the like seem to always have more universal uses when they are what you have in-hand! :)

John K Jordan
04-04-2018, 8:35 AM
My past week accomplishment was I retired on Friday. Now to get my shop back into order and start some projects that have been waiting.

Oh you poor, unfortunate guy. The agony, the sorrow, the regret, what ever will you do? Just look at how unhappy and stressed I was the day I turned in my badge in 2006:

(That was the second time I wore a tie in 30 years on the job. The only other time was for a national technical awards ceremony where a tux was the mandatory costume. Good grief.)

JKJ

Jim Becker
04-04-2018, 8:36 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!

I did that deed effective 1 October last year and I've never been busier. And yea, the shop is figuring into that. :)

mark mcfarlane
04-04-2018, 9:35 AM

Congratulations Charlie.