PDA

View Full Version : Where is the April 1 Lee Valley ad?

Ellen Benkin
04-01-2018, 1:00 PM
​Or is the fact that there is none the real joke?

Ellen Benkin
04-01-2018, 1:03 PM
OOPS. I found it. And it's not a bad idea. I'm surprised Woodpeckers didn't think of it.

Mike Randall
04-01-2018, 1:09 PM
Where is it?

David Bassett
04-01-2018, 2:27 PM
For Your Information (because FYI is too short!?!!):

Hi Jim,

No - nothing this year, we're taking a pause... too many projects on the go.

The good news is, the couple of hundred hours that would normally go into an April Fool's tool has been put into real tools!

For those that are interested, searching for "AFD" on our website will bring up all of the previous April 1st tools.

Cheers -

Rob

Jim Becker
04-01-2018, 6:13 PM
It's right here...

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?263653-At-last-been-waiting-for-something-like-this

Matt Day
04-01-2018, 6:22 PM
Jim,
you got fooled. Read the post above with quote from Lee.

Lloyd McKinlay
04-01-2018, 6:33 PM
What Jim linked is listed with the Lee Valley April Fools Day ads.

John C Cox
04-01-2018, 7:27 PM
The marking gage is really funny - though it is a previous year's item...

Matt Day
04-01-2018, 7:35 PM
What Jim linked is listed with the Lee Valley April Fools Day ads.

It's last years AFD ad. Google it and you'll see it's from 2017. Rob Lee posted in another thread that they have a number of other projects going on and didn't have the resources for it this year.

Mike Henderson
04-01-2018, 8:27 PM
One tool I'd seriously like to see LV, or Taylor tools, or Kevin Drake make is a double ended marking gauge with micro-adjust on both sides. When doing dovetails, it's often handy to have two marking gauges. Why not a double-ended one? LV makes a double ended one (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=64313&cat=1,42936) but it's not micro adjust. Just take that concept and put a micro-adjust head on both ends of a longer rod.

Of course, the double ended one would have to be less expensive than two regular micro-adjust marking gauges.

Mike

Matt Day
04-01-2018, 8:34 PM
Agreed Mike!

John C Cox
04-02-2018, 1:58 PM
It feels like we let opportunity slip through our fingers yet again this year... We as a Maker's community have failed to create the epic April 1st posts and videos of past years...

Somehow on my end - the date came and went full of easter grass and chocolate bunnies...

And it's only this morning.... Where upon solemn reflection... I realized that Yesterday would have been the day to post the results of my One Ultimate Sharpening Challenge to Rule Them All - Bricks vs Concrete vs Rocks! And more specifically - does the Concrete at Woodcraft really outperform the concrete at Aldi?

But alas... I forgot all about it... And it doesn't quite have the same zing the day after...

Ellen Benkin
04-02-2018, 2:41 PM
I just checked again and the ad is copyrighted 2018 not 2017. Maybe it is real? I still think it's a good idea.

Matt Day
04-02-2018, 3:38 PM
Come on people. Check the YouTube video, the published date is 4/1/17.
https://youtu.be/lQAm9OjV8iQ

Ryan J Carpenter
04-02-2018, 10:31 PM
Perhaps Rob just ran out of new ideas. I am sure there are no shortage of those here!

1) Veritas artisan toilet paper plane: You are committed to providing quality wood products to your friends and family that they didn't know they needed - so why should they settle for mass-produced toilet tissue that is not made of solid wood? Comes with a PM V11 and knerled brass handled plunger to help out after that big breakfast. ..... I mean to provide assistance while you are perfecting that perfect .004" shaving (we all know you can go thinner but a .001" shaving is not very absorbant)

2) Veritas precision graphite marking instrument. Sawdust from the late renowned Sam Maloof has just been discovered by his estate and processed into a limited run of graphite cylinders which are carefully assembled into 50,000 year-old kauri sheath that has been CNC machined into a perfect hexagonal cross-section. Though it may look ordinary, this revised cross- section was the culmination of years of cutting-edge ergonomic research. To ensure proper performance, you will want to purchase the optional attachment for your mark-II honing guide to ensure an accurate mirror finish on your sharpened edge.

John C Cox
04-02-2018, 10:36 PM
Bridge City beat them to the punch with the $500 pencil maker.. ;)

I was also disappointed that Matthias Wandel didn't do another epic April Fools video.. At first, I thought his rube goldberg maple syrup maker was the candidate... But alas - it was just another Matthias Wandel Garden Variety Useful Rube Goldberg device..