PDA

View Full Version : I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike

Dave Lehnert
04-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Now it is getting warmer, I am going to try and ride my bike often this summer.
I now own a Fuji mountain bike that I won at work 10 + years ago. Nice higher end bike but not to my liking.
I THINK I want something like a Beach Cruiser. Something more comfortable to ride. Like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-26-Men-s-Nel-Lusso-Cruiser-with-Perfect-Fit-Frame-Bike-Black/324175718?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227140117236&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=250554728834&wl4=pla-411721858014&wl5=9015676&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=324175718&wl13=&veh=sem or this https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/schwinn-mens-brighton-2-cruiser-bike-18scwm700mbrghtn2cty/18scwm700mbrghtn2cty?recid=family_PageElement_fami ly1_rr_1_2751_&rrec=true

Not looking to spend big $$$$. This will be ridden at a local park, flat ground and on pavement.

Any recommendations?

Bruce Wrenn
04-01-2018, 11:56 AM
This is to make you feel bad. Last weekend at dumpsters, a guy was TRASHING a brand new Schwin beach cruiser. I know it was new, as the handle bars were perpendicular to front wheel, and still not in middle of bracket, they way it came out of the box. Guy next to me grabbed it, and said, "I can sell this for SCRAP."

Prashun Patel
04-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Sorry , no recommendations, but I love the queen reference.

Jim Koepke
04-01-2018, 2:33 PM
When we moved up here one of my thoughts was to get a bicycle to ride up to the road to get the mail. We have a long driveway. Found a cheapy bike and discovered it was more work to pedal it uphill and back. Don't get me wrong, at one time my bicycling advocacy was quite enthusiastic.

If there was a decent and safe place to ride around here, my search would be for an old coaster brake beater from a yard sale. Wish my dad's old bike was around. It was a two speed coaster brake bike that was comfortable.

jtk

Matt Day
04-01-2018, 3:19 PM
I worked in a bike shop for years and have been cycling for decades. You likely don’t really want a beach cruiser. One speed, geometry isn’t meant for any kind of incline at all, giant seat that will rub your thighs, etc.

What works for most people is what’s called a hybrid. Road bike size wheels but fatter tires, gears, flat bars, medium sized seat. They usually start around $300 at a real bike shop. Walmart is not a bike shop.

Something like this.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/fuji-crosstown-13-comfort-bike-2016-31-4671

Roger Nair
04-01-2018, 5:04 PM
Go to a local bike shop. Service after the sale can really be valuable. Fat tire bikes are in the ascendency and getting the right features and fit should increase your success potential.

Ronald Blue
04-01-2018, 6:50 PM
This is what I went to. All in all it's a nice ride. Quite comfortable and just right for me. I'm sure it's more than you want to spend but there are used ones out there. They are literally one size fits all too. Very adjustable.
https://www.nickscf.com/product/sun-seeker-t3-cx-tadpole-58661-1.htm

Dave Lehnert
04-01-2018, 9:05 PM
Thanks for the info so far,
I do plan to visit a bike shop.
The bike shop I went to as a kid advertises they are the oldest bike shop in the USA, Established in 1890. Guess you cant get better than that.

Dennis Mas
04-01-2018, 9:53 PM
I was very recently told I had type 2 diabetes and the best thing I could do was exercise. I hate exercising. Boring!!! So I bought a mountain bike because I'm old (74), back problems, knee problems and obese and my MB has full suspension and has 21 speeds. No plans on riding mountains, etc., but I don't want to cause anymore damage to myself. And if riding did make things worse it would be a great excuse to stop riding which I don't want to do. I've ridden a few times and it's great. After it was assembled (bought it Wal-Mart) I went to a bike shop and they set the bike up for me as well as fixing two errors the W-M guy made. They did it for free, but that's another story.
Good luck.

Dave Lehnert
04-01-2018, 10:05 PM
I worked in a bike shop for years and have been cycling for decades. You likely don’t really want a beach cruiser. One speed, geometry isn’t meant for any kind of incline at all, giant seat that will rub your thighs, etc.

What works for most people is what’s called a hybrid. Road bike size wheels but fatter tires, gears, flat bars, medium sized seat. They usually start around $300 at a real bike shop. Walmart is not a bike shop.

Something like this.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/fuji-crosstown-13-comfort-bike-2016-31-4671

Think you are right. The more I read, The comfort or Hybrid bike looks more to my liking.
Just need to figure out sizing etc... I see some bikes are sized by wheel size, others by frame size.
Trying to do a bunch of research online first so I don't sound dumb or wast my time in a bike shop looking at something I don''t want.

Matt Day
04-01-2018, 10:19 PM
Bikes are sold by wheel size AND frame size.

Adult wheels are generally 26”, 27.5” (mountain bikes mainly), and 29” (same as 700c).

Frames are sized in either Small, Medium, Large etc, or inches or centimeters. They are generally a factor of 2 apart - 18”, 20”, 22” or 17”, 19”, 21”.

Again, I would stay away from Walmart. I’ve seen way too many Pacifica’s and Diamondbacks (the Walmart version) and Huffy’s with poor components and heavy frames, and on top of that poorly (sometimes dangerously) assembled.

At your LBS (local bike shop) you will get better bikes and accessories from people who know what they’re talking about that will give you sound advice. Walmart will sell you a bike and a bag of Cheetos and won’t even wish you good luck.

Tom Stenzel
04-01-2018, 11:03 PM
If the Fuji mountain bike is the correct frame size for you another option is to adapt it. We just made my wife's 25 year old Trek 870 mountain bike into a commuter bike. The straight handlebars were replaced with "comfort" bars, which mean they have upward bends. Changed the seat and added fenders. The knobby tires had long been gone replaced with a road type tread.

That's assuming the Fuji fits you. If it doesn't then you should start over.

I had done similar to my Mongoose mountain bike about 12 years ago. The kitty-litter bucket panniers I made carried a lot of groceries home. It was sold on Craigslist after my amputation. The buyer spotted the Tange tubing sticker in one of the pictures and knew it wasn't one of the department store models. He drove right over to get it. I hated to lose the bike but at least it went to someone who wasn't going to leave it behind a garage to rust.

-Tom

Wayne Lomman
04-02-2018, 7:59 AM
Queen reference duly noted! Stay with the bike you have. You will be much better off than with the alternative you are thinking about. Cheers

Robert Engel
04-02-2018, 8:52 AM

Something like this.
Rick, I am an experienced cyclist and what Matt is saying is good avice.

You don't want to buy a bike at Walmart or even Dicks. Sorry to say, Schwinn used to be a good quality bike, but not anymore. Any bike you find at Walmart or Dicks will have bottom end components (shifters, derailleurs, etc). Plus, chances are they are put together by some one in the back room who doesn't know how to tune a bike and you'll end up in the bike shop anyway ;-)

I suggest visit some bike shops. They usually have used bikes for sale. Most importantly they will get you fitted on the right sized bike. Something like this (https://www.performancebike.com/shop/bikes-frames/road-bikes/commuter-bikes/fuji-absolute-23-flat-bar-road-bike-2018-31-8563) is probably what you're looking for.

Oh, and get some lycra cycling shorts......

Matt McCormick
04-02-2018, 4:08 PM
Take your Fuji to that good bike shop, ask them if they can get it to your liking or.... take the Fuji and ask to trade it in for a hybrid the bike.... good local bike shops are ther more to help than just sell junk bikes..... they want a Relationship with good customers, and they can’t compete in the junk bike sales like Walmart. Good luck and have fun.

Dave Lehnert
04-02-2018, 5:11 PM
If the Fuji mountain bike is the correct frame size for you another option is to adapt it. We just made my wife's 25 year old Trek 870 mountain bike into a commuter bike. The straight handlebars were replaced with "comfort" bars, which mean they have upward bends. Changed the seat and added fenders. The knobby tires had long been gone replaced with a road type tread.

That's assuming the Fuji fits you. If it doesn't then you should start over.

I had done similar to my Mongoose mountain bike about 12 years ago. The kitty-litter bucket panniers I made carried a lot of groceries home. It was sold on Craigslist after my amputation. The buyer spotted the Tange tubing sticker in one of the pictures and knew it wasn't one of the department store models. He drove right over to get it. I hated to lose the bike but at least it went to someone who wasn't going to leave it behind a garage to rust.

-Tom

Now there is an idea I never thought of.
I just did a quick look on Youtube and that may be the way to go.

Again, I do plan to visit the local bike shop but who is the the Woodcraft or Rockler store of the bike world?

andrew whicker
04-02-2018, 5:45 PM
I mtn bike a lot. I'm guessing if you want to sit up straight, you're going to want the hyrbid. Who knows though, test out the bikes and see what you like.

I suggest buying a mtn bike and getting your single track goodness on, but who am I?

Edit: BTW, per what I was told when I moved to Utah, the good stuff doesn't start until you spend $5,000 (which is true when you ride a lot, believe it or not).

Seriously though, for you, don't try to rule out ~$700 price range. You'll probably get better components that take more abuse and require less tuning, easier to use, etc.

Matt Day
04-02-2018, 5:59 PM
Andrew, you can get a heck of a mountain bike for less than $2k. The cost/benefit curve greatly flattens out after that. I lived in SLC for a year, but Utah is far less punishing on a bike than Virginia/West Virginia. Took some great trips to Moab while there, my favorite ride being The Whole Enchillada.

Dave Lehnert
04-02-2018, 10:35 PM
Here is a pic of the bike I have now. 382973

Matt Day
04-03-2018, 9:29 AM
Dave, that is not a higher end bike by the way, but it isn’t a Walmart bike either. Probabaly cost $300 new or so.

I’d bring it to the LBS and tell them what you don’t like about it and ask them for suggestions. Likely they’ll say to swap the tires for more of a road tire and add a riser/comfort handlebar to give you a more upright position. Likely a tuneup as well, which would be done while swapping over the breaks and shifters.

But the biggest question is whether the frame fits you, and they can tell you that. If the frame is too big or too small, they may suggest a new bike.

Al Launier
04-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Dave, that's a good looking bike you have and if you took up Matt's suggestion you would probably come up with the best solution for you.

By the way, I have a matched pair of white Raleigh Sprites (?) that I bought for my wife & me back in 1971 (?). We haven't used them for many years and I sometimes wonder what I should do with them: use as is, sell, upgrade, or what? My wife doesn't like the hills (I'm not much of a fan of them either- since we are septuagenarians) since she never really got to use the shifting effectively.

Finally, why is it that most bikes I see have no fenders? Going over puddles, sometime unavoidable, leaves a wet stripe up one's back. Not for me, my previous bikes all had fenders.

Ted Calver
04-03-2018, 10:29 AM
....Finally, why is it that most bikes I see have no fenders? Going over puddles, sometime unavoidable, leaves a wet stripe up one's back. Not for me, my previous bikes all had fenders.

First thing I did when I bought my old (1988@$600??) Cannondale MB was add some fenders. Wife always asked where the heck I was riding because the stripe wouldn't wash out. Just looked at the Cannondale MB line up and see they range from $400 all the way up to almost 8k. I guess if you're going to break your neck going down a mountain you should do it in style.

Matt Day
04-03-2018, 11:00 AM
For real mounting biking, Fenders reduce mud clearance and catch sticks and such, just another thing to go wrong. I’d take a muddy back any day over a fender.

That being said, I’m all for them on the road. Especially if you’re group riding. Nothing like a spray of dirty water in your face from the guy in front of you. Some groups in wet climates have a mandatory fender rule.

These are good ones.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/planet-bike-hardcore-hybrid-fenders-40-5081
The key is a solid mount in all directions so they don’t run the tire.

Roger Nair
04-03-2018, 1:16 PM
Dave, before shopping for the bike, I would suggest a self assessment. In my case, I have at root an aggressive streak concerning sports activity. So I might start out as a guy just going out for improved fitness on a route. However, as I gain fitness, I would expand the miles and vary the routes and would avoid counting laps to extend the work out. With that in mind, I would ask for a bike that would be suited to local terrain. One other thing, think of the local bike shop as a community resource, perhaps as a way to meet and join group rides, again look for groups that fit your expectations.

Matt McCormick
04-04-2018, 3:49 PM
Hey Dave I just looked on google for bike shops in you area, you have an REI there, good place for a new bike. Their service is very good. Also I looked up a couple of the higher rated small shops and Spun bikes looks good as they do bike restorations. Reser look good for a higher end place too. Also there is a performance bike shop there, they are the Woodcraft of bikes but you may end up with a wood river bike, and may be good or not.....

Matt Meiser
04-04-2018, 10:40 PM
You might want to check out the Electra Townie series.

Dave Lehnert
04-04-2018, 11:57 PM
You might want to check out the Electra Townie series.

Thanks, Kinda the style I was thinking about.

Dave Lehnert
04-05-2018, 12:02 AM
Hey Dave I just looked on google for bike shops in you area, you have an REI there, good place for a new bike. Their service is very good. Also I looked up a couple of the higher rated small shops and Spun bikes looks good as they do bike restorations. Reser look good for a higher end place too. Also there is a performance bike shop there, they are the Woodcraft of bikes but you may end up with a wood river bike, and may be good or not.....

Thanks, I will have to check REI out. Never been there.
Here is a link the the bike shop I was talking about in the OP. Started in 1890.
http://www.bishopsbicycles.net/

Dave Lehnert
04-05-2018, 12:29 AM
For real mounting biking, Fenders reduce mud clearance and catch sticks and such, just another thing to go wrong. I’d take a muddy back any day over a fender.

That being said, I’m all for them on the road. Especially if you’re group riding. Nothing like a spray of dirty water in your face from the guy in front of you. Some groups in wet climates have a mandatory fender rule.

These are good ones.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/planet-bike-hardcore-hybrid-fenders-40-5081
The key is a solid mount in all directions so they don’t run the tire.

Thanks for the link

Dave Lehnert
04-05-2018, 12:42 AM
Dave, that is not a higher end bike by the way, but it isn’t a Walmart bike either. Probabaly cost $300 new or so.

I’d bring it to the LBS and tell them what you don’t like about it and ask them for suggestions. Likely they’ll say to swap the tires for more of a road tire and add a riser/comfort handlebar to give you a more upright position. Likely a tuneup as well, which would be done while swapping over the breaks and shifters.

But the biggest question is whether the frame fits you, and they can tell you that. If the frame is too big or too small, they may suggest a new bike.

The guy at the local bike shop said that Fuji makes a lot of bikes for give-a-ways so it hard to give an exact retail price. But looks like your right on the money at the $300 mark from what I can find.
Considering I have only had department store bikes before, this is a high end for me. But I see bikes costing $10 to $12K too. OUCH!

Peter Kelly
04-05-2018, 5:09 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/516QPDGFthL.jpg

Ed Labadie
04-06-2018, 12:15 AM
Not a biker.....a good friend is.

He upgraded to a "fat tire" mountain bike a few years ago and didn't look back.

Runs studded tires in the winter, rides all year long.

FWIW, he's 60 years old....been riding since high school.

Ed

Erik Loza
04-07-2018, 11:36 AM
My wife frequently bikes to work but does not find the road frame comfortable. She had a Giant mountain bike but it was heavy cumbersome to lift onto the bike racks at her office. Her company gives their employees a fitness stipend for gym memberships or workout equipment. We bought here a commuter-framed bike with the money...

https://store.fairdalebikes.com/pages/2018-fairdale-bikes/#weekenderarcher

Within budget and surprisingly well built. She rides it almost every day and loves it. One observation if you decide to get a new bike: Expect to change a few things. My wife needed a different saddle, stem, and pedals to really enjoy riding it on city streets but those are not biggies to buy or install. Best of luck in your search.

Erik