PDA

View Full Version : Blocking offensive emails

dennis thompson
04-01-2018, 10:21 AM
Is there a way to block offensive emails from even showing up in the spam folder?

glenn bradley
04-01-2018, 10:37 AM
Depending on your mail client there can be a "move to folder" and "delete" rule built. I have many.

Jim Becker
04-01-2018, 10:46 AM
As Glenn mentions, filters with auto-delete can do this for you. The risk, however, is that if something legitimate inadvertently gets moved into the spam folder and your "auto delete" filter isn't developed in a very complex way, those legitimate emails would also be lost. There are many times when this can be a real issue...about once a week I see something that was caught by accident as I review the spam quarantine reports that come from my email filtration tools.

Bruce Page
04-01-2018, 12:47 PM
I get a kick out of some of them, especially the one “To stop receiving this email just click here!” It’s hard to believe some people actually click on them.

Dennis Mas
04-01-2018, 9:58 PM
I live alone and I live for offensive emails!!!!

Gotta get a life.

Carlos Alvarez
04-01-2018, 11:07 PM
Define "offensive." I mean, is it something that contains a bad word? Something that calls you a tree-killing furniture nazi? Or scams? Or...??

Tom Stenzel
04-02-2018, 1:38 AM
The problem Jim Decker described has bitten me. More than once.

I've got an AT&T email address which uses Yahoo. It has a spam filter with rules at default Yahoo settings. Junk will come through like the messages saying there's a problem with my Gmail(!). Sometimes fake AT&T messages wander by. But more than once it put a real AT&T-Yahoo email concerning changes to my account in the spam folder. Sometimes I think they're trying hide something.

When I've tried setting up spam rules I end up having to carefully search through the spam before deleting it all, defeating the purpose. So I gave up and just try to keep my inbox cleared out.

-Tom

Carlos Alvarez
04-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Yeah, Yahoo mail is a joke. I don't think there's a solution when the platform is just not good.

dennis thompson
04-02-2018, 4:22 PM
Define "offensive." I mean, is it something that contains a bad word? Something that calls you a tree-killing furniture nazi? Or scams? Or...??

I know it's every other word on many TV shows and in movies, and I don't claim to have never used it myself but in print it still bothers me. I guess Im just an old grouch.

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-02-2018, 4:48 PM
I have been using Mailwasher Pro since around 2002 for my various business & personal email accounts. It has been a very useful tool to delete spam - and legit mail from subscribed lists that I'm not interested in reading.

https://www.mailwasher.net/

I have not tried out the latest version since they went to yearly subscriptions. (I am still using a paid version from several years ago on my Win 10 Pro laptop.) I see they do have a free version you can use for 1 email account.