PDA

View Full Version : One way drill wizard

Jenny Trice
04-01-2018, 8:14 AM
I have been looking at the Oneway drill wizard and thinking I can make something like this myself. I like the way that they hold the drill but have heard that it doesn't work with a twist chuck drill (keyless). My question is: In pictures of the Oneway drill wizard, they have a red handled mechanism to hold something tight but it is not clear to me what that is doing from the pictures. Does anyone have one of these that could comment?

https://oneway.ca/DrillWizard

Mark Greenbaum
04-01-2018, 8:29 AM
That red handle looks to be a slide advance, like a quill advance lever on a drill press.

William C Rogers
04-01-2018, 8:50 AM
Jenny, I have the Drill Wizard. Mark is correct, the red handle is for advancing the drill. There is also a built in adjustable stop to limit the travel. I am the one who said it would not work with a keyless drill. That is because the keyless chucks have large diameter compared to keyed chucks. I believe OneWay gives the diameter of clamp that holds the drill. I tried making drill holders, but I wouldn't trade my Drill Wizard for any homemade version. Like anything OneWay makes it is a great tool. Keyed drills can still be found relative cheap. I'm getting ready to make some earring holders that require a 3/32" hole and with the Drill Wizard it will be easy.

Chris A Lawrence
04-01-2018, 10:29 AM
My original post (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?263594-my-diy-drill-jig). I used a hand drill press i had purchased 15 years ago. You can still buy them but i haven't found one like the one i had that has its own chuck you attach the drill to. They are not expensive most are less then $30. I made the banjo out of some 2x4 blocks of wood and attached the press through an appropriate size hole that is locked in with the piece of threaded rod coming out the front. I am adding a knob to it soon. I plan on making a second banjo so i can drill from the side.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-01-2018, 12:34 PM
The Oneway Drill Wizard, has a a sliding head where the drill is clamped on, the handle does move the head forward and back, if you need to drill holes to just a certain depth, you can used the stop to go exactly that deep for every hole.

The drill needs to have a cylindrical shoulder where it can be held in the clamp, any size chuck on the drill can be held, though if very much larger than the drill’s neck you might need to take the clamp halve off and hold the drill in place to then replace the clamp halve.

A drill with a keyless chuck certainly can be used in it, the drill in the picture has a keyless chuck.

Using a drill with a keyed chuck is probably easier to use, especially if you need to exchange drill bit, as there is limited room to grab hold of the chuck to tighten it up.

Jon McElwain
04-04-2018, 10:30 AM
Before I had the drill wizard, I used a bench top drill press mounted to the ways to drill holes. I even tilted it to drill at an angle. It was a cheap solution as that little drill press was $50 on sale and it was something I already had.

I really like the drill wizard - smooth advance and solid construction. Takes a little work to get it set up, but once mounted in the right place it works fine. Much easier than my drill press solution!