PDA

View Full Version : powermatic 81/87 bandsaw lifting eyebolt?

Bill Dufour
03-31-2018, 1:44 PM
I am in the early stages of looking for a powermatic 87 bandsaw. How can it be lifted? Is there a threaded hole on the top for a lifting eyebolt to screw in or does it have to be a strap under the upper arm. A lifting eye would certainly make the lifting up from lying on it's back easier.
I do know to remove the table before moving it to avoid braking things like the trunnions.
Bil lD.

marty fretheim
03-31-2018, 2:53 PM
This is on my 24" bandsaw. For what it's worth......note the sticker. Pretty sure the eye bolt is to secure it to the ceiling so it doesn't tip over.

Marty

Bill Dufour
03-31-2018, 5:18 PM
This is on my 24" bandsaw. For what it's worth......note the sticker. Pretty sure the eye bolt is to secure it to the ceiling so it doesn't tip over.

Marty
Seems odd to have an eyebolt up there not for lifting. I suppose it is for a tie down point for shipping.
Bill D

marty fretheim
03-31-2018, 9:11 PM
Wasn't used for shipping. Maybe a Euro requirement so you can secure it from tipping over during use. Regardless, most are transported on their spine and lifted from the bottom, as far as I know.

Joe Jensen
04-01-2018, 1:07 AM
The bolt is there for a safety line so the machine won't tip over. I have a Felder bandsaw and that is what the manual says.

Bill Dufour
04-01-2018, 1:57 PM
I thought the bolt holes in the base were to bolt the saw down so it does not tip over. You would not believe the discussion in the machine shop forums about if a lathe shoud be bolted down or not.
Bil lD

Bill Dufour
04-06-2018, 5:21 PM
OP Here: After more research I found powermatic recommends only lifting from the base with a forklift. no lifting from under the arm with a sling. I guess to lift it without a forklift I would remove the table and attach lifting chains under the base and strap the vertical arm to the chains so it does not flip over when lifted. Plan was to lift with a engine hoist. Actually lifting that way will allow a higher lift so it will make it into the higher more modern trucks.
Bill D