PDA

View Full Version : Maple and Koa Urn

Tim Boger
03-31-2018, 1:15 PM
Just finished this Urn today, it is a commissioned piece. Curly Maple and some amazing Koa. 13" Tall and 'bout 5-1/2 at it's widest point.

Comment / Critique welcomed.

Tim Boger382779382780382781

Allan Ferguson
03-31-2018, 1:49 PM
Very good looking, wood great choice, form real nice. Workman ship top notch.

Tim Boger
03-31-2018, 2:13 PM
Thanks Allan, appreciate that!

Jenny Trice
03-31-2018, 6:36 PM
Beautiful urn. Just curious, in MN where I live, I am told that standard urn vaults are 12-1/2" x 9" x 10" and vaults are required for urn burial. What have others found about turned urns? Do people usually choose to bury them? How many states require vaults. I made an urn for my dad in Ohio and they did not require a vault. Or, is it cemetery choice whether vaults are used?

Mel Fulks
03-31-2018, 6:54 PM
beautiful. Had a hard time accepting that the top is is flat! Many ....if not all of those rules for burials are made up by morticians and rubber stamped by state legislatures.....of course the morticians try to "put the best face" on it

Tim Boger
03-31-2018, 7:21 PM
Interesting question Jenny, I've always assumed that the Urns that I've been asked to make would be kept in the home and admired.

Perhaps it's time for some research.

Thanks,
Tim

Beautiful urn. Just curious, in MN where I live, I am told that standard urn vaults are 12-1/2" x 9" x 10" and vaults are required for urn burial. What have others found about turned urns? Do people usually choose to bury them? How many states require vaults. I made an urn for my dad in Ohio and they did not require a vault. Or, is it cemetery choice whether vaults are used?

Tim Boger
03-31-2018, 7:22 PM
Thanks Mel, I appreciate your thoughts.

Tim

beautiful. Had a hard time accepting that the top is is flat! Many ....if not all of those rules for burials are made up by morticians and rubber stamped by state legislatures.....of course the morticians try to "put the best face" on it

Mark Greenbaum
03-31-2018, 11:13 PM
Tim - that is a truly beautiful urn. Great choice of woods.

My question is this: Did you use a special threaded insert for the lid? I am going to be taking a class in the Fall at J C Campbell on Cremation Urns (I have made a couple for my family, so far, and they just have friction lids). I've been told that Funeral Homes require screwed on lids to prevent accidental loss of cremains (My Dad's ashes were kept in a tied plastic bag inside the urn). What info can you impart? Thanks.

Frederick Skelly
04-01-2018, 7:11 AM
Tim,
The urn and your workmanship are beautiful - a final, warm and respectful tribute to the person's life.
Well done.
Fred

Tim Boger
04-01-2018, 7:13 AM
Good morning Mark,

The threads are simply plastic pipes fittings, you get a male and a female in the size that fits your piece, you can get Black or White ... cheap and easy to cut. Rough up the surface's to be glued and I use epoxy.

I wouldn't trust a friction fit lid to hold it's shape indefinitely, I agree with the zip lock bag being used inside the Urn to keep the ashes safe.

Thanks for the compliments,
Tim

Tim - that is a truly beautiful urn. Great choice of woods.

My question is this: Did you use a special threaded insert for the lid? I am going to be taking a class in the Fall at J C Campbell on Cremation Urns (I have made a couple for my family, so far, and they just have friction lids). I've been told that Funeral Homes require screwed on lids to prevent accidental loss of cremains (My Dad's ashes were kept in a tied plastic bag inside the urn). What info can you impart? Thanks.