PDA

View Full Version : Live Center for Tailstock (#0 Morse taper?)

Carl Eyman
11-14-2005, 6:23 PM
My friend Lynn Sonier showed up at the shop this AM on the horns of a dilema. He had lost the center point for the center of his tailstock center and was in the midst of a big job for a local church. One of his high pay commissions - NOT. Luckily I was able to cobble something together so he is back in business and can make him a replacement piece on my metal working lathe. But he wants a live center. This lathe was already old before I was in knee pants - and that is old! I believe the center is #0 Morse. I think I remember hearing there is or was such a size. McMaster Carr shows no #0; can anyone confirm there is such a thing? If so, does anyone know where they might be available? I want to find it before he does; so I'll show him how smart I am.

Steve Clardy
11-14-2005, 6:52 PM
Check Grizzly.
#0 is an oddball size anymore

Wes Bischel
11-14-2005, 7:02 PM
Carl, yes there is such an animal. I think the old Craftsman metal lathes had MT 0. Here's a chart for the dimensions:

http://www.morsecuttingtools.com/reference/taperchart.html

I think eBay would be a good source as well.
Good luck,

Wes

Dev Emch
11-14-2005, 7:24 PM
How about taking a live center for a #1 morse, setting your taper attachment for the right taper (check the machinery handbook for this taper) and then cut the shank down to a #0 taper. I doubt these items are hardended. The tips are but not the shanks on most live centers. The only question is getting the live center apart enough to get that stump on your lathe.

Steve Stube
11-15-2005, 12:27 AM
I guess it is the hour but I failed to see the word "LIVE"
Only see the solid DEAD 0 MT lathe centers @ $6.25 each - My mistake.
Campbell Tools Company
Springfield, OH 45504

USA Telephone: 937-882-6716
Fax: 937-882-6648
e-mail address: campbell@campbelltools.com (campbell@campbelltools.com)<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->