PDA

View Full Version : Push or pull?

Osvaldo Cristo
03-30-2018, 2:33 PM
I got three cabinet scrapper. My first ones. They are from Bahco...

It is odd is the instructions looks suggest to work with them pulling instead of pushing as I have saw at all my references. Please see the attached picture I made from the package.

And now? Pushing or pulling?

BTW I burnished them and it looks got similar results either pulling or pushing...

Jim Koepke
03-30-2018, 2:36 PM
Whichever way works, as long as the proper use of a scraper police aren't breaking down your door.

jtk

Todd Stock
03-30-2018, 2:58 PM
I know this is counterintuitive, but pushing away and pulling towards appears to me to work better than pushing towards and pulling away.

Andrew Seemann
03-30-2018, 4:17 PM
Try both ways, sometimes what is wrong for someone else is just the trick for you. I sometimes use the scraper one handed, which pretty much everyone says is wrong, but it works for me when I need to.

Also try different scraping angles, different burnishers, different hook angles and sizes, different grips, different woods, different files etc. What does and does not work well will become apparent soon, and there is no substitute for that experience.

Once you master it, the scraper is a wonderful tool.

Prashun Patel
03-30-2018, 4:30 PM
There's no right way here. It's about ergonomics for you. Personally I find pushing a little more efficient when doing a lot of scraping, and pulling when I think I need more control.

I can get a more aggressive bend in the push direction, but that's not so critical when the scraper's fresh.

My 2c: no right way.

ernest dubois
03-30-2018, 5:34 PM
I have to say the illustration looks pretty good, at least it's indicating the edge is supported along the length of the scraper and not instructing you to flex in the middle.

glenn bradley
03-31-2018, 6:25 AM
I have an array of scrapers and use them all both ways. Depends what I'm doing. When removing material I generally push. When fine tuning a spot I generally pull.

Marshall Harrison
03-31-2018, 8:37 AM

Looks like pull from the diagrams but if the results are the same both ways just do whatever feels most comfortable for you.