PDA

View Full Version : Circular Saws

Bob Yarbrough
11-14-2005, 6:18 PM
One last time (hopefully)!?!

Just starting to make the sliding compund saw stand shown in Shopenotes a few months ago when the Makita turned up its toes. In the market for a new saw. If I have to cut up a dozen sheets of plywood a year, I would be amazed. Most of my projects are bookcases, blanket chests, (pens - new addiction!), etc.

Does a guy buy a new framing saw (Porter Cable, Dewalt, etc), and make a guide in the shop, +/- $125?

Does a guy buy the saw and Dino's guide system, +/- $500 with a new saw?

Buy the Festool saw and guides?

Any questions or comments appreciated, I'm going to play with the Lathe for a while.

Bob

Steve Clardy
11-14-2005, 6:54 PM
Well. I have a PC framing saw, and Dino's system.
That way I can use the saw for one or the other.

Jim Becker
11-14-2005, 7:05 PM
Yes! Buy one of those on your list!!! LOL!

Everybody is a little different. I have a "beater" circular saw to use for home improvement tasks, so Festool was the right choice for me. Others are better served by a decent all-purposes saw with or without something like Dino's system. Some folks have no use for the guide. Yea, I know...doesn't exactly answer your question with any kind of finality, but it brings up what you need to consider: In addition to your immediate need, what do you see yourself using the saw, etc., for going forward?

Burt Waddell
11-14-2005, 7:14 PM
For me the answer was the eurkea zone system. I have a variety of circular saws to use with it. It seems that the PC Mag series is about the best for dust collection. A lot of people also like the Festool but I don't think the factory recommends that you use it off the rail.

Richard Wolf
11-14-2005, 7:21 PM
I just purchased the Festool saw and rail. I almost never cut sheet goods, but I am using the short guide rail to cut sawtooth stringers for my stair work. So you should always upgrade when you have the chance, and you never know how you may be able to incorperate it in your future projects.

Richard

Jim Becker
11-14-2005, 8:34 PM
I just purchased the Festool saw and rail.

Ya know, Richard....the picture police spirit was just speaking to me and...it mentioned that you've been remiss in your non-stealth gloating... ;)

Richard Wolf
11-14-2005, 8:48 PM
Ya know, Richard....the picture police spirit was just speaking to me and...it mentioned that you've been remiss in your non-stealth gloating... ;)

I've been so busy with stairs and rails I can't let the camera near that mess that I call a shop. I really need a kid to go in there and clean up, oh yea, I do have a kid, but he doesn't know how to use a broom.

Richard

Scott Parks
11-14-2005, 8:53 PM
The Festool saw is the best thing since sliced bread. In fact, I bet you could actually slice bread with it...:eek: The dust collection is what sold me on that saw. I can saw in my garage and not have a cloud of dust everywhere. (there are a few chips to sweep up, though) I love being able to slap down the guide and saw a perfect straight line on anything. I use it to crosscut anything bigger than 12". I also use it for breaking down sheets of plywood. If I have say several panels to crosscut to size, I gang them together and cut them all exactly the same size. It is SO ACURATE, that you can cut to finished size with it. Perfect every time. It is so nice, though, that I'd never use it for anything but fine furniture. For 2x's and other junk, I still haul out my old beater skil saw. Truly the cat's meow... "MEOW" baby!

I am a tough critic, and am usually disappointed by things that don't meet my expectations, but this saw has more than excelled for me. It was worth EVERY DARN PENNY, and then some...

But on the other hand, if you rarely ever cut anything to length that you can accomodate on your sliding CMS, you probably won't need the Festool saw.

Frank Pellow
11-14-2005, 9:44 PM
The Festool circular saw and guide that I purchased almost two years ago is the best tool purchase that I have ever made. It has saved me time, money, and resulted in higher quality work. It has also been great for my marriage because I no longer need to call upon my wife to help me manhandle sheet goods through a table saw.

And, I certainly have used it off the rail (about 5 percent of its use). I don't know why anyone would suggest that the saw should not be used off the rail.

And, best of all, Festool is introducing its new TS 55 saw later this month at a great introductory price. See http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/TS_Q&A.pdf. for the list of improvments on the TS 55 over the old AFT 55.

I have no connection with Festool -rather I am just a very satisfied customer.

Burt Waddell
11-14-2005, 10:03 PM
At this point in time, I intigrating the Ez Smart system into all facets of my shop both for cutting and routing. I also just noticed that Dino has come up with a way to use the hand held bosch planer with the EZ Smart system to create a edge jointer. Also, I'm looking forward to receiving the Festool MFT. Like the other equipment, I'll mix and match these systems and come up with a non-branded but very functional system. One big thing that has attracted me to the Eureka zone system is the flexability that is built into it. I have 4 circular saws that I use with it - 2 - 7 1/4" saws, A 8 1/4 and a 10 1/4". The first big piece of equipment to loose its job is a horizontal panel saw. It has been replaced with the Eureka Zone. I forsee some of the cross cutting tasks now being done with the SCMS being replaced with the MFT. One major function will be parts for raised panel doors. SInce we do kitchens, it is nothing strange for us to do 30 doors plus at a time. I won't put anything wider than 2 1/2" in one of my doors. That means a bunch of cross cutting - Often more than 700 linear feet at a shot. Also, I see the mft doing some of the mid range cross cutting - A little bigger than you can do on the scms but a little smaller than you like to do on a table saw. As time goes on, I see the table saw becoming more and more a thing of the past. I can't believe how much less effort it takes to do the job with the EZ smart stuff than the table saw. I'm working on a jig incorporating two pieces of the EZ rail to do the dado and rabbitting for kitchen cabinets and furniture items. Dino has been very helpful and I would be remiss not to say thank you. "Thank you Dino". It is nice to know that the inventor is only a phone call or email way.

Andy Hoyt
11-14-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm a non-system type. Eeek! Sorry guys.

I realized one day that I'd do just about anything to avoid picking up my beast of a circular saw. It's a holdover from my in-the-field-days.

So I opted for for of those itty bitty saws. At the time the choice was Makita or PC; and I chose Makita because of visibilty issues with the PC's motor hiding the cut line.

I love it, use it all the time, and does amazing things. And it's light. Used in conjunction with a clamped straight edge I can do plywood that won't need later finessing at the table saw.

Model Number is 4200H

Randy Denby
11-15-2005, 3:02 AM
I guess I'm out of the loop..what is a festool system/ ez smart or whatever? Sounds better than apple pie......

Frank Pellow
11-15-2005, 4:24 AM
I guess I'm out of the loop..what is a festool system/ ez smart or whatever? Sounds better than apple pie......
Randy, Discussions about those two systems, are two of the hottest topics on Saw Mill Creek. Just use the search facility to see many past threads about them.

For an overview video of the guided Festool circular saw see: http://www.festoolusa.com/faster.aspx

For an overview of the EZ Smart Guide, see: http://www.eurekazone.com/products/ezsmartguide.html

Dev Emch
11-15-2005, 4:27 AM
Bob... If your toy went casters up, that is a sign from the tree gods! Its time to upgrade.

I just got my hands on some festool samples at the local woodcraft store. I too need convincing and nothing does that better then the touchy feelie thing.

Not everything festool makes has convinced me. For example, there are quite a few jobs where a plunge router is not the best tool. For example, running my D4 for dovetails.

But the festool circular saw is great. If there is one feature that is worth buying the festool for is its ability to plunge cut. I have never seen a circular saw with a nicer plunge action than the festool. Excellent. And controlling the depth of cut is cake as well.

For very precise cuts in sheet goods, nothing can beat my beloved table saws. Right now, I am getting ready to hack up a 1.5 bunks of baltic birch ply into cabinet blanks. Some are standard size and some are unqiue size. I will be done in less than one day. The festool will take quite a bit longer to do the same job. But the festool comes close in terms of accuracy.

Matt Meiser
11-15-2005, 7:38 AM
I'll go against the grain and say just buy a decent saw to start. If you are only going to use it 12 times a year, why spend the money on the Festool? It is a great tool from what I've seen, but you can buy tools you need more with the leftover money. If you later decide you would like a guide system, then you can buy the Eurekazone system.

I have the PC saw with one of the Eurekazone bases which I won here. The base is great at reducing chipout. I also have a pair of 4' and 2' Clamp-n-tool guides which I use on the rare occasion that I need a guide. I've considered a guide system, but may start by buying the table kit and see if I want anything more. I can cut 30-some inches on my TS, so about the only time I need to cut sheet goods with the circular saw is to crosscut a sheet but a lot of people are singing the praises of not having to rip full sheets either which is intruiging.

Chris Barton
11-15-2005, 8:33 AM
I will also give my vote for the Festool and you can get a good deal on them right now. Where I see the biggest advantage is that instead of trying to move a heavy, awkward and dangerous 4 x 8 piece of sheet goods through a saw, you simply measure to your cut line, lay on the guide (no clamps needed) and cut. And you get perfect results every time. Now, I think you will also need an old beater like others have said. I just can't see myself sawing wet pressure treated 2 x 12s with my ATF55e but, it could handle them with ease...

Brian Triplett
11-15-2005, 1:06 PM
For my two cents and from what have seen and heard the Festool is the way to go. I know you mentioned only using it 12 times a year but it seems by the way people talk about this thing that you will end up using more than that. I plan on ordering one a little later this year mainly because of its ease of use and it is part of a system, you can upgrade by adding the MFT table, longer rails dust collection and that just brings more capablities into your shop. remember just my two cents. :eek:

Kent Cori
11-15-2005, 1:14 PM
I've gone a less costly path with a Porter Cable circular saw (the one with the blade exposed on the left) and a shop made, $1.00 guide. This was made from a scrap 4' long piece of hardboard and a scrap piece of maple for the guide. It works great.

Christian Aufreiter
11-15-2005, 1:18 PM
Not everything festool makes has convinced me. For example, there are quite a few jobs where a plunge router is not the best tool. For example, running my D4 for dovetails.

Sorry, Dev, but I don't get this point. I don't know if a plunge router is a good choice for routing dovetails with the D4 because I've never had a chance to try the D4 nor have I used a fixed base router (not available here). Anyway, what does this have to do with Festool in particular?

Regards,

Christian