PDA

View Full Version : Dust frames from ply.

Robert Goodwin
06-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Hi all,

I am building a box with drawers to go in the bottom of my in-construction workbench. I initially was planning on building the dust panels/frames from poplar, but due to a number of birthdays and an upcoming vacation, it will be awhile before I can make it to the hardwood dealer to pick up some wood :( . I have a bunch plywood lying around. HD was selling Maple ply for $26 dollars a sheet. Anyway, I have seen Norm build dust frames from plywood with mortise and tennon joinery. Is this very strong? Have anybody built these from ply.

Thanks,
Rob

Lee Schierer
06-27-2003, 12:43 PM
I don't personally feel that mortice and tenon joints in plywood are very strong. I would suggest lap joints as a stonger alternative.

Jim Becker
06-27-2003, 1:32 PM
I build all of my dust frames for plywood cabinetry from plywood using pocket screw assembly. T&G is also an acceptable method for building them. I don't recommend M&T for this application and frankly, it takes too much time.

Charles McKinley
06-27-2003, 5:05 PM
I highly recommend Kreg's right angle clamp (RAC). They make doigh right angle joints very easy. They are avaible at Woodcraft for $27.

No affiliation