PDA

View Full Version : Another DC question; Oneida V2000 vs HF Mod

brian cammarata
03-29-2018, 10:55 PM
Looking for inputs in regards to DC options.

Option#1: I was just about to construct a modified HF DC. With Rikon Impeller, Super Dust Deputy XL, Wynn Filter.

Option #2: buddy has recently upgraded his DC and is offering up 7 year old Oneida Air V2000 for $725 (home hobby use)

Long story short....pretty much $ for $ the same cost and I can return all of option #1 parts

Would you stick with new mod HF or go with used V2000?

thanks for feedback

Mike Kreinhop
03-30-2018, 5:55 AM
If I had the same choice, I would go with the used Oneida system. The offered price is about $1K less than the new price and the configuration is a proven design. If you have the space and the ducting, the Oneida should be plug and play.

Prashun Patel
03-30-2018, 7:21 AM
I own the V2000 and am very happy with it. Your price is a great one. I would go with that.

I built a Thien baffle for my previous dc. Worked fine in theory but I could never get mine perfect, so I still had to clean out the filter occasionally. I noticed performance dropped quickly. It was certainly an improvement but what I have now is just easier and I do not notice a drop in performance so I think my filter must be pretty clean.

Jim Becker
03-30-2018, 9:44 AM
Hands down, in the given situation with the two options, no question I'd choose the used Oneida system. It was designed from the ground up as a dust collection cyclone.

Carl Kona
03-30-2018, 10:03 AM
Brian,

Agree with others V2000. Your modified HF will not come close to the performance of the Oneida. The other issue is the time to do all the modifications and the time just to get the impeller (last I heard someone was waiting 2+ months for their back order). You also have to fabricate the stand, find connection pieces/couplers, etc.. If there was a big disparity in price you could think about the pros and cons. With this it is a no brainer, get the Oneida before someone else does!

Scott Buehler
03-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Definitely go with the V2000!

Randy Heinemann
03-30-2018, 10:13 AM
The V2000 is a much better option as long as it is good shape; especially the filter. Replacing the filter would be expensive, although you'd still have a much better collector.

glenn bradley
03-30-2018, 10:39 AM
No contest. v2000.

Patrick Cosentino
03-30-2018, 10:58 AM
I just finished setting up the HF , with Super Dust Deputy , wall mounted , Wynn Filter (Still waiting on Rikon Impeller - Mid June! arghh) , works great and I'm very happy with it. Works much better than expected.

...........But I'd still get the V2000 without a second thought if i had the opportunity for 725$!

Josh Kocher
03-30-2018, 1:09 PM
Easy choice.

Ben Rivel
03-30-2018, 4:42 PM
My answer for pretty much any dust collection cyclone comparison would be Oneida Air.

Peter Christensen
03-30-2018, 5:04 PM
The Oneida if for no other reason than if you upgrade to a more powerful unit you can flog it and get your money back. You could keep the Wynn filter and add it for an even freer breathing machine.

brian cammarata
03-30-2018, 8:11 PM
The Oneida if for no other reason than if you upgrade to a more powerful unit you can flog it and get your money back. You could keep the Wynn filter and add it for an even freer breathing machine.

Pete...are you saying swap the stock Oneida hepa filter for a Wynn?

Peter Christensen
03-30-2018, 8:17 PM
You could look into that. The Wynn has more square footage doesn’t it? Or modify the manifold and use both at the same time.

Josh Kocher
03-30-2018, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't unless it was needing replacement. I mean filters are ultimately disposable so when it needs to be changed replace it, but I'd wait until that day comes...

brian cammarata
03-31-2018, 9:34 AM
Looking for inputs in regards to DC options.

Option#1: I was just about to construct a modified HF DC. With Rikon Impeller, Super Dust Deputy XL, Wynn Filter.

Option #2: buddy has recently upgraded his DC and is offering up 7 year old Oneida Air V2000 for $725 (home hobby use)

Long story short....pretty much $ for $ the same cost and I can return all of option #1 parts

Would you stick with new mod HF or go with used V2000?

thanks for feedback

ok...thanks for all the guidance. Picked up the V2000 yesterday and returning all the HF mod components. Cant wait to put this thing to use

Mike Burke
03-31-2018, 10:20 AM
After rebuilding my unit...which I am Very please with and glad I did the upgrade.....

I would still

Agree with others V2000 !!!

Josh Kocher
03-31-2018, 10:52 AM
Congratulations.
I'm sure you'll enjoy your new system and its benefits.

Art Mann
04-01-2018, 11:11 AM
There is one thing do-it-yourselfers need to realize about increasing air flow using larger filters. Increased air flow also increases load and current draw on the motor. There comes a point when you substantially reduce motor life. I doubt if this will happen with the undersized fan on the HF unit but it would be easy to do with the after market fans people are retrofitting. At some point, you just need more power than the HF motor can supply without self destructing.

Roger Robitaillle
04-07-2018, 2:54 AM
Patrick, I'm in the process of the same mod and have all the parts sitting on the bench at the house. What size ducting are you using. I reached out to Oneida to ask if the SDD with these upgrades would support 6 inch and they won't comment on a mod like this...not that I blame them. The folks at GreyHouseStudios used 6 inch ducting....as have a ton of other forum members here and on Lumberjocks. What are you seeing for performance already?

Carl Kona
04-07-2018, 12:46 PM
Roger,

If you look at the FAQ for SDD and SDD XL you should find your answers but in general the SDD has a 5" input so that is the maximum duct size for that separator (and generally the optimum size for 1.5-2HP DCs). You NEVER want to increase the size of the duct (5 to 6" in this case). The SDD XL has a 6" input but requires a 3HP or 850 CFM requirement. Neither of which the HF mod can provide. Many people reference the GreyHouse YouTube video (which uses a SDD XL), and incorrectly assume it was done correctly (which it was not). If you have a very short run of 6" duct (like in the video) you might get away with not having it clog due to the lower velocity and what type of material you are collecting. Also the test in the video was performed with a handheld meter which is highly inconsistent and inaccurate. My testing showed a handheld meter was ~30% higher than the measurements made with my Pitot tube.

Not sure what or how you are going to set up your system with duct length or what machines you want to support. I have not seen very many people use 6" duct with the HF mod, most use 4" due to cost. Unfortunately the small pipe diameter strangles the gains made with upgrades. As I mentioned earlier, most 1.5-2HP DCs (with 11-12" impellers) will run best with 5" ducts. As your filter becomes more seasoned and dirty you will struggle with a 6" duct to maintain enough velocity to keep material airborne. 5" ducting will force you into metal ducting which if you look around or visit a local HVAC shop is in the same cost range as PVC.

Mike Chalmers
04-07-2018, 6:05 PM
You NEVER want to increase the size of the duct (5 to 6" in this case). The SDD XL has a 6" input but requires a 3HP or 850 CFM requirement. Neither of which the HF mod can provide. Many people reference the GreyHouse YouTube video (which uses a SDD XL), and incorrectly assume it was done correctly (which it was not). If you have a very short run of 6" duct (like in the video) you might get away with not having it clog due to the lower velocity and what type of material you are collecting. I use 6" ducting as I had it in place when I had a 3hp short cyclone unit for a short time. I am now back to my Craftex (Canadian Grizzly) 2hp with a metal SDD. Granted, my longest run is only about 15' which reduces to 5" at my 20" planer, but, the fact remains, it never gets clogged, nor is there any dust sitting in the ducts. Elbows do tend to have a little accumulation, very little. I see these types of statements frequently, but cannot credit the validity of the comment considering my real life, personal, observed experience.

Carl Kona
04-07-2018, 8:38 PM
Mike,

I wish I did see best design practices statements more frequently, unfortunately I see more statements about how someone made something work and another reader takes that as the norm. Having been blessed/cursed with an engineering degree I have a hard time doing something that is not the most efficient or optimum. I am glad your system works. I am envious of those that can put something together and as long as it moves air they are happy. I also take at face value the subjective comments made buy some like "it works great" . I know a lot of people don't care about doing it the best or even right way but....
383344 (-:

Patrick Cosentino
04-08-2018, 8:58 PM
I went with 5" snap lock to match the 5" inlet of the SDD. Oneida mentions on their website to not have a reduction at the inlet , so i took that advice (originally I was going to go with 6" as well).
As far as performance , i'm very happy with it......but (there's always a "but"!) , i have zero to base my performance on. Except for the stock HF unit , right out of the box. It seems to have more power , is definitely more quieter than stock. There's zero dust in my 14" laguna bandsaw (the 14/12 model) , works as great as a shopvac on my disc and rigid belt sander (i go 5" --> 4" --> 2.5" ports for the sanders) zero dust from my dewalt 735 (the built in blower does most of the work regardless of what DC you have).
And I maybe just going insane on this part , but i swear i'm getting more sawdust out of the top of my table saw than i did before. There's not a ton of dust in the cabinet , but I feel like i will need to address an overhead dust port for the table saw blade.

So long story short , it works great for me in my set up. I searched a long time looking for before and after numbers to see the improvements on HF mods , but as i'm sure you've found out by now , concrete numbers for dust collection , and discussions on the internet never play well together :)

Should you stick with 6" ? I honestly don't know.
Wish I could be more help , and good luck setting your system up!