PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new 2 site...a few questions.

Steven Amaral
03-29-2018, 9:31 PM
Hi all.
I am new to asking/researching on this site..I may have joined 8 yrs ago but never used the resource..regret it.

I have a few questions...maybe I should keep 2 one topic// dunno, new to rules of engagement ;/

first - epoxy question
What brand do u use (economically in a larger bottle). I have been using BSI, Bob Smith Ind, as well as my CA, and...(the CA tip clogging has me furious...I cannot keep the bottles working when needed...I have a sewing needle and needle nose next to the bottle~~ regardless)...
I need a reliable Epoxy in a good size for a workbench top I am planning..I am using vintage Fir with mega amount of old nail holes...the lumber was used as very old WWII 40 foot pump jacks, it is a true 2" thick x 4"...it should make a great laminated top when done...
The stock has a million+ old empty (scanned) nail holes that I wish to fill with epoxy before planning the laminated together slabs. (I am building a Roubo).

appreciate advice on lrger bottles of epoxy u use, preferably Amzn bought...thnx all.
nice to meet ya
Steve

Jim Becker
03-30-2018, 9:53 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek!

I think you'll find that a lot of folks like West Systems for epoxy resin applications.

Please be sure that you get any residual metal out of that wonderful vintage timber before you start slicing and dicing!

Art Mann
03-30-2018, 10:12 AM
The other name brand name that is popular is System Three. There are many other good ones. If you are filling nail holes, don't use straight epoxy. Mix it with wood flour (commercial product) or use very fine sanding dust. Make up a consistency of peanut butter. This is standard practice in the boat building industry. The patch will be more stable and the epoxy will go a lot further. Only use straight epoxy for appearance purposes.

Steven Amaral
03-30-2018, 2:23 PM
...great idea Art! I have a jar full of Cherry dust sitting right in front of me on top of a shelf...jar is covered in dust from sitting years, ha...I 4got I even had it...thnx all.

Dave Cav
03-30-2018, 2:45 PM
I've been buying epoxy from US Composites for a number of years. It's the most economical I've found and I haven't had any problems with it. I normally use their 150 thick epoxy 1 to 1 product for woodworking. It takes about 24 hours to fully cure, and it seems to wet the wood pretty well despite being "thick". Depending on the application I'll sometimes use wood flour from the widebelt sander for thickening.

If I need a quicker cure I use System 3 fifteen minute epoxy.

I stopped buying CA glue in bottles a while back. Now all I buy is Harbor Freight Super Glue and Gel in the little tubes, sold in a ten pack, often on sale. I can usually get two or three uses out of one tube, and if it dries up, no big deal. I usually use it with Bob Smith accelerator purchased on Amazon. Works great for filling cracks, or gluing splinters and dutchmen.

When I was in the Navy in the early 70s there was a shipfitter on board named Amaral. Funny the things you remember.

Doug Hepler
03-30-2018, 4:23 PM
Steven

I agree with earlier recommendations of mixing wood flour with adhesive to make a filler. FWIW you can make an excellent wood filler using wood flour and PVA glue.

Doug

Steven Amaral
03-30-2018, 6:24 PM
thnx Dave...My father was USMC I think he finished in 1960...I was born in 66' and was still watching cartoons in early 70's ha ha, still do occasionally, ha~...Cheers Dave, thnx

Robert Hayward
03-30-2018, 7:50 PM
Your CA tip problem is easily solved. I have a bag of spare tips that I rotate with dirty tips while the dirty ones are soaking, but you do not need spare tips. I keep a small glass bottle 1/2 full of acetone. Just drop the clogged / coated tips in the bottle put the cap on the bottle. The next day the CA will be mostly gone. Any residue left can be wiped off. I also blow the tip out with compress air. Do the compressed air in a bucket or outside to avoid blowing gooey CA all over. The glass bottle I like to use is an empty horseradish container. The short wide mouth type.

Acetone evaporates very quickly, keep a lid on your soaking bottle.

Earl McLain
03-31-2018, 6:48 AM
I use CA glue mostly as a pen finish. Have used a lot of Bob Smith successfully to finish, and have no complaints--their Insta-Cure super thin is very fast, medium for open pored woods (after normally 2 coats of super thin), still my preferred thick for gluing brass tubes in wood blanks. Recently switched to Mercury Flex a few months ago, and for a finish I love it. All of the Mercury CA's caps have a metal rod in the top that fits in the tip--a beautiful touch. Added bonus is that I don't glue my bench scissors closed after snipping the tip on a new bottle.
earl

John K Jordan
03-31-2018, 8:38 AM
the CA tip clogging has me furious...I cannot keep the bottles working when needed...I have a sewing needle and needle nose next to the bottle~~ regardless

I keep one bottle of HotStuff thin CA glue on a shelf above the lathe. I keep a capillary tip on it all the time, one of these or one similar, to put a small quantity of glue exactly where I want it (the capillary tip fits over the the end of the normal tip):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H7H4NW

After I use the glue I turn the bottle upright and tap it on the lathe bed a couple of times to knock down any glue into the tip. Then I hold the tip near my ear and squeeze a few times to make sure I hear air moving in and out. If the capillary tip ever does clog I replace it with a new one. The glue inside outlasts the plastic bottle.

Alan Lightstone
03-31-2018, 8:52 AM
I would generate some sawdust from the piece you are plugging the holes in, and mix that with epoxy. It will make a closer match to the wood, and often makes the holes almost invisible.

Personally, I use West Systems epoxy for my everyday use (I just pick it up at a local West Marine store - they're all over down here), but have use System 3 as well, and it's good also.

Mike Cutler
03-31-2018, 3:54 PM
Steven

I use System3 epoxy.
Generally I use their "normal 2 part epoxy, so that I can control the pot life. I also like their T-88 two part system. System3 is available on amazon.
If you're looking at large quantities, I would consider their metering pump.
I use System3 because I've been using it for a long time now, and I am familiar with their product line.I'm absolutely certain any other system is equally as good.