PDA

View Full Version : Router lift choices

Brian Hale
11-14-2005, 5:27 PM
Hi all,

LOML is asking for my xmas wish list so I've got several sticky notes hanging out of the Lee Valley and Highland Hardware catalogs for all the "little" things we all need for the shop. But for my big gift this year i want a router lift (and possibly a table). There seems to be 4-8 different models to choose from in the ~$180 - $400 range and confusion has set in. :confused:

I've got 2 routers right now that I believe would be good in a lift, a Dewalt 618 (3.5" dia motor) and a Makita 1101 (3.25" dia motor).

Sooooooooo which lift is a good one? I'd like to stick around $300 or so

Thanks

Brian :)

Ken Garlock
11-14-2005, 5:51 PM
This
Woodpeck PRL (www.woodpeck.com/liftshome.html)

Brian Hale
11-14-2005, 6:21 PM
Thats great Ken, 4 more choices LOL :eek:

I don't have those in any of my catalogs so i'll give them a good looking over

Thanks!!!

Lloyd Frisbee
11-14-2005, 7:14 PM
Ken,
You got too too too many many many /http://// in your link. Try this one
http://www.woodpeck.com/liftshome.html

Chris Rosenberger
11-14-2005, 9:10 PM
Brian this may not mean much since I am only a member, but I have the Woodpecker Precision Router Lift. I have been very happy with it. It is very heavy built. I use it with a 3 1/2 hp Porter Cable router motor.

Brian Austin
11-14-2005, 9:43 PM
Incra just came out with a new router lift. It's basically a Jessem Mast-R-Lift with a custom direct drive instead belt/chain system. At the moment, they are only selling them at the shows and it's not on their website. It appears to be a partnership thing between Incra and Jessem. I paid $289 for it. It fits a PC7518 but needs collars ($30) for smaller routers.

John Keane
11-14-2005, 10:14 PM
I have the Woodpecker PRL with my PC7518. It is a nice arrangement. The PRL is a real convenience. Woodpecker is now advertising a "Smart Lift" with a phrenolic plate or aluminum plate for 159/199 respectively. This lift is for the less than giant size routers. Get on their e-mail list and save money.

Jay Knepper
11-15-2005, 12:11 AM
Spend $100 or so on a Router Razer, forget the lift, and get yourself a nice table and/or fence with the difference. When I built my (Norm's) table I dumped my lift for a Razer and much prefer it--it's simpler, lighter and just as accurate.

Steve Cox
11-15-2005, 1:42 AM
I use a Milwaukee 3.5hp with a lifting mechanism built in. All it needs is a hole drilled in the top and you can adjust the height without using any aftermarket devices. I cannot change the bit from above the table but to remove the router requires me to flip a lever and push a button. Very easy and fast plus inexpensive to boot.

Bob Johnson2
11-15-2005, 7:03 PM
Looked at the Jessem setup last weekend at Woodcraft, someone had already bought it but it was a beaut. If I had the $$$ I'd put it on the short list. The one at the store included the table, top, lift, and the fence setup. I bought the Woodpecker plunge lift, nowhere near as nice.:(

Brian Hale
11-15-2005, 7:41 PM
Thanks guys!

That benchdog unit looks like a nice one, mostly steel with bronze bushings (bronze wears better than brass) which appeals to the machinist in me. I'll need a reducer ring for either of my routers but the upside is it'll give me some "grow room" if i decide to step up to a bigger router. Anybody own one?

I'm also considering the Milwaukee router like Steve suggested which is about $60 cheaper but I've read some reviews about the raising mechanism failing due to plastic parts. This may be an old problem and I'll have to check into it a bit more.

Les Spencer
11-15-2005, 9:38 PM
Brian,

I have the Jessem Master Lift. My biggest complaint with it is trying to get the insert rings flush with the plate. The insert is high which makes it hard to feed without catching on the insert. From what I've seen this is a hit or miss on any manufacturer. Also it is very hard to adjust the levelers to make the plate flush with the table top. If I had it to do over, I would look hard at the Triton. You can eliminate the problems I listed with it.

You will have a 3 1/4hp router with a lot of nice features. I don't think you would want to do hand work with it because of the weight.

Check out amazon and read some of the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006LUM7/002-0989018-8065629?v=glance&n=228013&%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Allen Bookout
11-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Brian, Like Steve I am using the Milwaukee 5625 and think that it is great. I think that the plastic part thing is an old problem that has been corrected. I do have it attached to an aluminum plate from Woodpeckers and got their bent wrenches so above the table bit changes are no problem. For what the lift cost I think that it would be crazy to go that route instead of the Milwaukee unless you are set on using an existing router. Then it might be cheaper to go the lift route. Allen

David Less
11-16-2005, 4:17 AM
Brain,

How about a home made job?

David

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuv69/Lift_Front.sized.jpg

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuv69/Lift_Side.sized.jpg

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuv69/Router_Plate.sized.jpg

Dan Forman
11-16-2005, 5:56 AM
Brian---Not all lifts will accept the big Milwaukee router. If you think you will go that route, check carefully before you get a lift. The Mast-R-Lift is the only one that allows above talble bit changes.

Dan

Bill Fields
11-16-2005, 5:15 PM
Brian:

Just ordered the Router Raizer from AMazon for $59.99 shipping free. All reports on it that I read were positive, except a few whines about the installation complexity.

I will report on it when I can.

BILL FIELDS

Vaughn McMillan
11-16-2005, 6:35 PM
How about a home made job?...

Wow David, somthing makes me suspect you do a little metal stuff in addition to your woodworking. That's a cool idea for a lift.

- Vaughn

Vaughn McMillan
11-16-2005, 6:53 PM
Brian this may not mean much since I am only a member, but I have the Woodpecker Precision Router Lift. I have been very happy with it. It is very heavy built. I use it with a 3 1/2 hp Porter Cable router motor.

Chris, it looks like Brian got his lift question answered, so I'm going to threadjack a little to mention that being "only a member" has no affect on the value of your experience or opinions. We're all equal here, and whether you're a newby or one of the guys who's been here since Day 1, your input is valuable to the group. Don't ever feel like you are anything less than the rest of us.

FYI, until just about a week or so ago, we all had the "member" designation next to our names. Only recently has the "2005 contributor" thing been added to some accounts, and all it means is that person tossed in a few bucks on the recent fund-raising drive.

So bottom line...no need to apologize for being "only a member". We all are. ;)

- Vaughn

Brian Hale
11-16-2005, 8:11 PM
Chris, it looks like Brian got his lift question answered, so I'm going to threadjack a little to mention that being "only a member" has no affect on the value of your experience or opinions. We're all equal here, and whether you're a newby or one of the guys who's been here since Day 1, your input is valuable to the group. Don't ever feel like you are anything less than the rest of us.

FYI, until just about a week or so ago, we all had the "member" designation next to our names. Only recently has the "2005 contributor" thing been added to some accounts, and all it means is that person tossed in a few bucks on the recent fund-raising drive.

So bottom line...no need to apologize for being "only a member". We all are. ;)

- Vaughn

Very Well Stated Vaughn!!

I just put the benchdog on the wish list! :cool: If Santa doesn't bring it I'll order it as a new years gift to myself.

Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions and input, i really do appreciatete it!

David, did you machine the whole unit yourself? I really like the remote crank idea with the Bridgeport style handle.:cool:

Hank Knight
11-17-2005, 4:00 PM
Brian, I've been looking at the Bench Dog for a couple of years, but I haven't been convinced to take the plunge (no pun intended). If you end up with one, let us know how you like it. I'd like to know. Maybe it will push me over the line - one way or the other.