PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else suffering from cold/flu more this year?

Brian Nguyen
03-29-2018, 2:50 PM
I've already gotten the flu bug and colds a handful of time since fall. Nothing major, but it's never been like this. The latest cold bug has lingered for over six weeks now, I'd feel better for a week and then back to being miserable with congestion, sneezing, coughs, etc. :mad:

Chase Mueller
03-29-2018, 2:56 PM
Maybe a dumb question, but are you taking any meds for it or running a fever?

Brian Nguyen
03-29-2018, 3:06 PM
For the flu, I took vitamin C's, aspirins, and slept for 4 days straight. It actually went away quite fast.

For my cold, it's just vitamin C's and lots of tea/water/liquid. Not really running any fever, it's just mucous and coughs as a result. I don't think any meds will get rid of the cold viruses, right?

Maybe a dumb question, but are you taking any meds for it or running a fever?

Chase Mueller
03-29-2018, 3:13 PM
For the flu, I took vitamin C's, aspirins, and slept for 4 days straight. It actually went away quite fast.

For my cold, it's just vitamin C's and lots of tea/water/liquid. Not really running any fever, it's just mucous and coughs as a result. I don't think any meds will get rid of the cold viruses, right?

Correct. Just dampens the symptoms, unfortunately. Have you tried any over the counter meds? Got a ballpark estimate of how much water you drink? Best thing is rest and to flush your system. I used a detox and it helped greatly reduce the length of my cold.

Jim Becker
03-29-2018, 4:00 PM
Actually, exactly the opposite..."knock on veneered particle board"...I've only had one brief cold and no flu this year. Part of what I attribute that to is retiring last fall which means I'm not traveling to meet with customers and having as much exposure anymore. And I guess the flu shot worked for me. Interestingly, nobody else in the house has had any issues this year, either...and that's a university professor, a college student and an adult daughter who works in floral in a super market. Lots of exposure there!

Chase Mueller
03-29-2018, 4:06 PM
Knocking on some wood for ya man, that's incredibly lucky!

Jim Becker
03-29-2018, 4:06 PM
Knocking on some wood for ya man, that's incredibly lucky!
After you're done knocking, laser a four leaf clover on it, too! :) :D

Brian Nguyen
03-29-2018, 4:45 PM
That's interesting because the CDC (or some agency... forgot which) said that they had guessed the wrong strains for this year's flu season which saw a huge spike in the flu bugs going around in December/January. You really got lucky, me thinks it'd be a good idea to buy a few lottery tickets..

Actually, exactly the opposite..."knock on veneered particle board"...I've only had one brief cold and no flu this year. Part of what I attribute that to is retiring last fall which means I'm not traveling to meet with customers and having as much exposure anymore. And I guess the flu shot worked for me. Interestingly, nobody else in the house has had any issues this year, either...and that's a university professor, a college student and an adult daughter who works in floral in a super market. Lots of exposure there!

Jim Becker
03-29-2018, 4:52 PM
Sadly, my luck with lottery tickets has been the exactly opposite of my luck with cold and flu. ROFLOL...

Brian Henderson
03-29-2018, 8:55 PM
The whole family went down with the flu in January and I lost my voice for 6 weeks. Other than that though, I haven't been sick any more than usual.

Myk Rian
03-29-2018, 9:32 PM
Since a 2015 heart attack and a few surgeries since, and last year battling thyroid problems due to a heart med, I resisted getting a flu shot. 2 doctors said don't, 2 said do. I finally got one in Dec. Haven't had a cold or flu, so far. I do make a point of washing my hands a lot, and carrying a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me.

Bill Bukovec
03-29-2018, 9:40 PM
I did not have the flu or a cold for a year or more. I take 2 vitamin D's per day in the fall/ winter, one the rest if the year. I am rarely around kids, so I think that helps.

David Freed
03-29-2018, 10:23 PM
I've been coughing and hacking for over 8 weeks. I had a fever for a day and a half in the first week. I was almost over it a few days ago and it came back. The longest I ever stayed sick before this was 2 weeks.

Mark Blatter
03-30-2018, 6:49 AM
Like Jim, I have been free from anything this year. Last cold was in July or Aug last year for a couple of days then it went away. No flu (and no flu shot) for 20 years. Kids are all grown but I was traveling a great deal last fall and winter. I have three grand kids, two are school age, that at my house frequently during the week, so still getting a dose of germs, though not as bad as when our own kids were in school. No idea why haven't been sick much. Did have prostate cancer last year, so perhaps this is Karma's way of leveling things out.

John K Jordan
03-30-2018, 8:08 AM
When I started teaching preschool kids every sunday I think I caught every cold that came through the community. Now, I almost never get a cold even in proximity to sick grandkids with fevers and wiping snotty noses on coughing 5-year-olds. I read that once you get a cold it can immunize you against caching the same strain again. I don't know if that's a fact but is seems possible.

JKJ

Chase Mueller
03-30-2018, 8:25 AM
Not to stir anything up cause I know how civil we all are about flu shots... chuckle... but I'm 22 with and haven't had the flu shot since I was maybe 6? Never had the flu. My poor brother gets it every year though, and he gets the shot! And this isn't me trying to spark a debate or anything, adults can make their own decisions, but I do often wonder just how differently the shot works on a per person basis, not as a whole.

Chase Mueller
03-30-2018, 8:26 AM
After you're done knocking, laser a four leaf clover on it, too! :) :D

Would ya settle for a rabbits foot? :D

Stan Calow
03-30-2018, 8:35 AM
just about everyone I know had a long-lingering cold this winter, 6-10 weeks. Doc said it was not the flu. Also something called adenovirus going around with similar symptoms.

Chase Mueller
03-30-2018, 8:37 AM
just about everyone I know had a long-lingering cold this winter, 6-10 weeks. Doc said it was not the flu. Also something called adenovirus going around with similar symptoms.

Similar symptoms of the Flu or of the common cold?

Jim Becker
03-30-2018, 9:15 AM
Would ya settle for a rabbits foot?

Rufus wouldn't approve of that unless it's just an image. :)

https://txahwq.bn.files.1drv.com/y4mR2twtXJYpY5eeENuQPmFDTvreVF_7EVazOopKR6RvyAgDXd Vvu_Or8XM0CDz5ZUPMLS-WihdCxRaRBqwxQsRr7Ot4PFsjVygTZKlMpos2W97hQN4AfZeaJ R695Y2Wl1guJVotTgP9rLbBXDQpJS0TcCK9N0E8jEGYprqIHQj 3KS_Nzhi8dlPcFFJXGkCI4NqUlLOHFqfJqBfRfGB2Gy-PA?width=256&height=256&cropmode=none

Chase Mueller
03-30-2018, 9:27 AM
Rufus wouldn't approve of that unless it's just an image. :)

https://txahwq.bn.files.1drv.com/y4mR2twtXJYpY5eeENuQPmFDTvreVF_7EVazOopKR6RvyAgDXd Vvu_Or8XM0CDz5ZUPMLS-WihdCxRaRBqwxQsRr7Ot4PFsjVygTZKlMpos2W97hQN4AfZeaJ R695Y2Wl1guJVotTgP9rLbBXDQpJS0TcCK9N0E8jEGYprqIHQj 3KS_Nzhi8dlPcFFJXGkCI4NqUlLOHFqfJqBfRfGB2Gy-PA?width=256&height=256&cropmode=none
Oh my, is that one of those rabbits that get huge? I think from the Netherlands? (I'm a reptile freak, bunnies not so much my forte)

Jim Becker
03-30-2018, 9:34 AM
Rufus is a Flemish Giant. Yes, they can get quite large...the biggest in the world approach 50 lbs. Rufus at his peak was just shy of 16 lbs. But he's a tri-pet (three legged due to an amputation of his right rear after a spiral fracture that wouldn't heal up even after surgery) and is quite elderly now with little movement. I'm guessing he's at about 12 lbs now. Best. Furry. Pet. Ever.

We are primarily bird people, however...

And we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread about the cold and flu. :D

Lee DeRaud
04-03-2018, 12:38 PM
just about everyone I know had a long-lingering cold this winter, 6-10 weeks. Doc said it was not the flu. Also something called adenovirus going around with similar symptoms.Lot of that going around here too. Mine started New Year's Eve: never had a fever, sore throat for about three days, then a annoying cough that lasted six weeks.

Haven't had actual flu since I started getting flu shots sometime in the '90s.

Curt Harms
04-04-2018, 6:13 AM

I'd never had so many colds as when I was in close proximity to a family with grade school aged kids.

BOB OLINGER
04-11-2018, 9:01 AM
Fortunately we escaped the flu at our house. I'm sure it wasn't the complete factor, but I was extra obnoxious this year about handwashing, especially when in public places (like the gym). For example, do you touch the door knob of the public restroom on the way out right after washing and drying your hands - or do you use the paper towel to open the door knob? We're thankful we escaped; I will give handwashing some credit.

Todd Trebuna
04-11-2018, 9:06 AM
I ended up getting the flu after getting the flu shot. Then 4 weeks later, I was told the sinus infection I had, had probably developed from the viral infection turning bacterial. So yeah, double helping of suck. :)

Mike Henderson
04-11-2018, 9:48 AM
No problems here. Luckily, this has been a cold and flu free season. My wife and I had the flu shot but I don't know if that made any difference.

Mike