PDA

View Full Version : Saw bench on bench?

Phil Mueller
03-29-2018, 8:52 AM
I was in search of a solution to get some things up closer to eye level for some detail work...higher than my moxon. Started thinking about building a bench on bench, but then wondered where in the world I would store the thing in my tiny shop. Got to staring at my saw bench. Flattened the stop, added a few dog holes and clamped it to the bench. A few dogs and a wonder dog and I think it will work. Kind of a ridiculous solution - not ideal, and certainly not pretty - but seems to solve the need for now.

Flamone LaChaud
03-29-2018, 9:27 AM
As I've heard several times - "it ain't crazy if it works." I remember seeing a video of Jim Tolpin having an elevated front vice on his taller workbench that brings work clamped into it much closer to upper chest height on him, which I thought at first was nifty . . . but I wonder about the long term practicality of it. However it works for him (obviously), therefore I'm not knocking it . . .at least until I try it.

Jim Koepke
03-29-2018, 10:20 AM
If it works, 'nuff said.

jtk

Mike Null
03-29-2018, 10:29 AM
+1. Well built.

Steve Eure
03-29-2018, 10:33 AM
"Necessity is the mother of invention"! Don't know the author but it is so true. Great solution to your problem. I did one similar with an old benchtop WorkMate that I bought from a pawn shop. Perfect height for my bench, has dog holes and vice, and fits under my bench when not needed.