PDA

View Full Version : First Major Lathe Project

Steven Marcus
03-28-2018, 10:13 PM
I've finally got around to finishing my first big lathe project. Everything before this was small little handles and such. The vase is 24" Tall and 8" In diameter. It was a bear to rough the blank on my POS harbor freight lathe. Major vibrations. Once it was roughed it wasn't too bad.

Thoughts? What do you guys think?

Dennis Ford
03-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Very nice shape. Impressive that you turned it on that machine.

Mark Greenbaum
03-29-2018, 12:13 PM
Nice tall shape, especially well done on that lathe. Did you hollow this vase out ? If so, how?

Steven Marcus
03-29-2018, 12:54 PM
Very nice shape. Impressive that you turned it on that machine.

Thanks! It was very hairy at first with vibration to get it more balanced. Once it was turned to a rough round it went better for sure. Been looking at a Nova Comet II at an upgrade.

Steven Marcus
03-29-2018, 12:55 PM
Nice tall shape, especially well done on that lathe. Did you hollow this vase out ? If so, how?

Thanks! I didn't attempt to hollow out any of the vase. I plane on just drilling a hold down through the top with a spade bit in order to allow the girlfriend to place fake flowers and such inside.

John K Jordan
03-29-2018, 1:18 PM
Thanks! It was very hairy at first with vibration to get it more balanced. Once it was turned to a rough round it went better for sure. Been looking at a Nova Comet II at an upgrade.

An idea: A friend of mine turned bowls from large out-of-balance blanks on a lathe much too wimpy for the wood. He used pipe clamps to clamp the lathe to the wall to stabilize things and keep the lathe from walking across the floor. The pieces were also too large for the lathe swing so he turned outboard, made a tool rest with a piece of pipe welded to a heavy truck wheel.

JKJ

Steven Marcus
03-29-2018, 6:37 PM
An idea: A friend of mine turned bowls from large out-of-balance blanks on a lathe much too wimpy for the wood. He used pipe clamps to clamp the lathe to the wall to stabilize things and keep the lathe from walking across the floor. The pieces were also too large for the lathe swing so he turned outboard, made a tool rest with a piece of pipe welded to a heavy truck wheel.

JKJ

I just wish I could go slower as my slowest speed is 960

That's a good idea though. Currently still in the research phase. Looking at the Nova 1624 as well.

Steven Marcus
03-29-2018, 9:44 PM
Turned this little guy this evening

Michael Mills
03-29-2018, 9:50 PM
Nice looking vase. If you are going to drill it out (and have room) you may want to consider these inserts so your girlfriend can use live flowers. But then she may expect you to keep supplying flowers weekly.
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=proj-supp-flower-glasbvstubes.
I have both the Comet II (my daughters actually) an the 1624. If you can swing it the 1624 is so so much nicer and powerful. So far my 1624 has handled everything I've wanted to turn.

Steven Marcus
03-29-2018, 10:06 PM
Nice looking vase. If you are going to drill it out (and have room) you may want to consider these inserts so your girlfriend can use live flowers. But then she may expect you to keep supplying flowers weekly.
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=proj-supp-flower-glasbvstubes.
I have both the Comet II (my daughters actually) an the 1624. If you can swing it the 1624 is so so much nicer and powerful. So far my 1624 has handled everything I've wanted to turn.

Good idea about the glass tubes. Appreciate it.

Thanks for the comparison of the two lathes. Any experience with roughing out out of balance blanks?

Mick Fagan
03-29-2018, 11:42 PM
Any experience with roughing out out of balance blanks?

These were taken before I had a bandsaw, chainsaw, or anything other than hand saws.

Going on memory here, but I do know that was dry wood from a firewood pile, so this was a bit of a workout for the Nova 16-24. In Australia the lowest speed for this machine is 178 rpm, which is slower than in your country where you run 60Hz and the slowest speed is 216 rpm; we are 50Hz so our electricity is on a slower cycle.

If you wish to turn heavy (ish) off balanced material, then having a lathe that can go reasonably low is a distinct advantage. By low I would suggest anything from 50 rpm to 100 rpm is pretty good. The Vicmarc lathes I use in my wood turning club, run down to 10 rpm, which may sound slow, but when you place something near the maximum that the machine can turn, then having a super slow speed to start things rolling, is a very good thing I have found.

Being dry wood, the turning is harder; this was definitely an off centre weighted piece of material.

I have had my Nova 16-24 for around 3½ years and am moving on to a bigger and slightly different machine. It has been an excellent way to learn what I would like to do, what I could do and where I would like to go with regard to wood turning. Mine is the base model running 8 belt changed speeds. Changing the belt for speed changes is not an imposition, but I would certainly suggest if you get serious about wood turning, you will probably and eventually opt for an electronically controlled speed machine.

If you do decide to pursue a second hand Nova 16-24 machine, then if it is possible, get one with the bed extension; it really helps when turning what one would call modest length material. Mine also has the outrigger so I can turn larger material (bowls generally). The swivel head is very good, but not fantastic when compared to higher end machines.

First you chop it, then you plane it, then you plate it, then you mount it, then you chuck it, finally, you hollow it.

Mick.

382668 382669 382670 382672 382673

Steven Marcus
03-29-2018, 11:47 PM
These were taken before I had a bandsaw, chainsaw, or anything other than hand saws.

Going on memory here, but I do know that was dry wood from a firewood pile, so this was a bit of a workout for the Nova 16-24. In Australia the lowest speed for this machine is 178 rpm, which is slower than in your country where you run 60Hz and the slowest speed is 216 rpm; we are 50Hz so our electricity is on a slower cycle.

If you wish to turn heavy (ish) off balanced material, then having a lathe that can go reasonably low is a distinct advantage. By low I would suggest anything from 50 rpm to 100 rpm is pretty good. The Vicmarc lathes I use in my wood turning club, run down to 10 rpm, which may sound slow, but when you place something near the maximum that the machine can turn, then having a super slow speed to start things rolling, is a very good thing I have found.

Being dry wood, the turning is harder; this was definitely an off centre weighted piece of material.

I have had my Nova 16-24 for around 3½ years and am moving on to a bigger and slightly different machine. It has been an excellent way to learn what I would like to do, what I could do and where I would like to go with regard to wood turning. Mine is the base model running 8 belt changed speeds. Changing the belt for speed changes is not an imposition, but I would certainly suggest if you get serious about wood turning, you will probably and eventually opt for an electronically controlled speed machine.

If you do decide to pursue a second hand Nova 16-24 machine, then if it is possible, get one with the bed extension; it really helps when turning what one would call modest length material. Mine also has the outrigger so I can turn larger material (bowls generally). The swivel head is very good, but not fantastic when compared to higher end machines.

First you chop it, then you plane it, then you plate it, then you mount it, then you chuck it, finally, you hollow it.

Mick.

382668 382669 382670 382672 382673

Thanks for the images. Exactly what I needed.

Michael Mills
03-29-2018, 11:50 PM
Good idea about the glass tubes. Appreciate it.

Thanks for the comparison of the two lathes. Any experience with roughing out out of balance blanks?

Except for once when I purchased eight spindle blanks for a special turning all of my rough out have been out of balance.
For bowl blanks I almost always start at the 200+, unless very small (less than 8" diameter). The 1624 has the power to plow through it, the Comet not so much but it can be done. Add the 1624 is close to 300 lbs and the Comet about 80 lbs and you can guess how much shaking is going on.
JMHO but the 1624 is at least 4X the lathe for 2X the money.

Steven Marcus
03-29-2018, 11:54 PM
Except for once when I purchased eight spindle blanks for a special turning all of my rough out have been out of balance.
For bowl blanks I almost always start at the 200+, unless very small (less than 8" diameter). The 1624 has the power to plow through it, the Comet not so much but it can be done. Add the 1624 is close to 300 lbs and the Comet about 80 lbs and you can guess how much shaking is going on.
JMHO but the 1624 is at least 4X the lathe for 2X the money.

Cool! Thanks for all the help

Mick Fagan
03-30-2018, 12:10 AM
Having the ability to handle mid range heavy stuff, as well as the power, 1120W; the Nova 16-44 has about the right amount of grunt for what you can fit onto the lathe, either between centres, or to turn pure mass requiring some reasonable grunt accompanied with correct gearing.

Below are two different scenarios, the first is a freshly cut limb from a tree, literally about 30 minutes after being felled. I turned this small enough so that it could fit into a friend's bandsaw, whereby it was cut in half (length ways).

The fourth picture is the 16-24 with the bed extension fitted, here I have gone as far from the head stock as possible to make room for a wood lathe steady (google it) to hold the piece so I could turn it into a 23mm by 850mm (0.91" by 33.46") hardwood rod. After finishing this piece, I left my bed extension permanently mounted. The third picture shows a 600mm (23.62") rod being manufactured, the tailstock is on the bed extension.

Mick.

382675 382678 382681 382684

John K Jordan
03-30-2018, 7:31 AM
I just wish I could go slower as my slowest speed is 960

Do you have a chain saw and a bandsaw? If so, if you flatten one side then cut the blank round to start with it will be nearly balanced on the lathe. Without a big bandsaw use the chainsaw to lop off corners and make the blank as round as possible before mounting it. (I have an Stihl electric chainsaw which can even be used in the shop.)

But there is nothing like a larger lathe with variable speed! It sounds like you are well on your way to total woodturning addiction - maybe set your sights on an even bigger replacement lathe. I have a couple of the Jet 1642 lathes which are quite stout. But a few years ago I bought a used Powermatic 3520b which is a lot heavier and more powerful. These lathes can easily turn at 50 RPM or so as needed as well as about 3000 RPM for small work. If you like to turn large things, finding a bigger lathe now might prevent another lathe hunt in just a few years!

JKJ

Steven Marcus
03-30-2018, 1:15 PM
No chainsaw. Was thinking of getting an electric chainsaw so I can use it inside.

I move periodically i.e. every 3 years and couldn't imagine moving a super heavy tool like a powermatic so that's probably out for the time being.

Mick Fagan
04-08-2018, 1:48 AM
If you are restricted physical size wise because of house hopping, then the Nova 1624-44 is possibly a reasonably good contender for someone in your position. I am not saying it is a perfect lathe, but it will do some reasonably interesting stuff, rough wood wise. These lathes do come apart for relatively easy transportation, the legs unbolt to four individual items. The bed can also be bolted directly to a wooden bench of your manufacture, something quite a few people have done, I was tempted to do the same until I saw this one as a package deal.

If you do go for the 1624-44, then I would suggest you do need the legs and the outrigger, this will allow you to get the maximum material on this lathe.

Friday morning I drove past a freshly cut tree, whipped home for the ute (light truck with a tray back) and picked up some timber suitable for my purposes. First off was to use the electric chainsaw, one of the better accessories one can have, quiet as a mouse; sort of.

Once I had a rough, I attached a 120mm faceplate roughly in the centre of what I reckoned was about the best position for maximum size. The blank is about 620mm at its widest point (24") my circle is about 290mm (11.41"), hoping for about a 320mm bowl (12.6") the blank is approximately 300mm deep (11.81").

It was a bit of a beast to get up and screwed onto the spindle, weighs about 29kg (63.8lb) due to being water heavy. I have found that when I have the head turned 180º with an off centre piece of timber, it invariably turns with less lathe movement as the oscillations between the leg pairs are far apart, as opposed to being mounted normally with 600mm leg spread on each end (23.62").

This blank was so big, (for this lathe that is) that I couldn't get the tool rest round to the bottom of the intended bowl; the outrigger slider is 300mm in length. Once mounted I worked into the evening needing lights. Note that I have a machine light attached to the head of the lathe, one of the better things I have done. This morning I managed to get a bit more done, but you get the gist of what this lathe is capable of doing as far as rough blanks goes.

If you see one of these with the electronic powered head and you can afford it, then that would be my pick if I was in your shoes. The last picture shows the belt speeds, I can only now get this blank onto the second speed, a jump from 178rpm to 300rpm. Having variable speed with a twist of my fingers, would have been so much easier and better. This was the first reason I decided I needed a different lathe, it was also the second and third reason I decided I needed a different lathe. :D

Mick.

383361 383360 383359 383358

Alex Zeller
04-08-2018, 8:24 AM
In the last couple of years the cordless chainsaw market has exploded. I don't have one but know several who do. My neighbor just got a Redback 120v cordless saw and I when I got to play with it I was impressed. I don't know if I would replace my gas saw for cutting up several cords of firewood from large trees but I think it would be great for making bowl blanks.

Steven Marcus
04-08-2018, 8:58 PM
Any specific models you'd recommend for a lathe other than the Nova 1624

Steven Marcus
04-08-2018, 8:59 PM
In the last couple of years the cordless chainsaw market has exploded. I don't have one but know several who do. My neighbor just got a Redback 120v cordless saw and I when I got to play with it I was impressed. I don't know if I would replace my gas saw for cutting up several cords of firewood from large trees but I think it would be great for making bowl blanks.

Bought a wen corded chainsaw for $66 works great for light work and turning prep inside.

Mick Fagan
04-10-2018, 3:21 AM
Any specific models you'd recommend for a lathe other than the Nova 1624

I'm assuming you live in the USA, I live in Australia and while we do have some common machinery, I am not that aware of what is available to you second hand wise in your country. One thing I will say is, you should measure out the space you currently have and think about what you may have in the future. The Nova 1624-44 whilst it is a small to slight lathe, it isn't that small or that slight. Neither is it bold and big.

John K Jordan had some sound advice about skipping the interim lathe and finding one that you think will be able to see you out for the next 5, 10 or more years, before you need to move up to the next step.

With a bit of creative thinking you may be able to procure something like the Jet 1642 and fiddle with your workshop to squash it in somewhere. If you are able to put the unit onto a mobile set-up (wheel kit maybe) then I think you may find it even easier to put it into a corner or alongside a wall, bringing it out to work with then putting it back when finished.

Some homework for you to do, before finding what will fit into your allotted space. :D

Don't rush into it and if at all possible, get along to a local wood turning club. You'll learn so much in one hour, let alone multiple visits, or perhaps even joining.

Mick.

Mark Greenbaum
04-10-2018, 7:43 AM
I have a Grizzly G0766 (22x42) and I find that having the larger mass and capacity allows me to do anything from small spindles and lidded jars to large platters and bowls. It's my first real lathe, and I am glad I did not step up from a desk top mini or midi. I saved my coins for quite a while, and mostly turned at monthly club Turn & Learn sessions until I had a real lathe. What got me started was a 1955 Shopsmith that I could turn spindles on safely, but anything out of balance would make the SS walk down the driveway. Needless to say, since I acquired the G0766 I have not turn a single item on the Shopsmith. It's mainly used as a drill press, table saw (poorly) and a bandsaw (limited capacity). Take your time choosing what best suits your goals, and wait to make the best choice.

Steven Marcus
04-11-2018, 8:14 AM
I have a Grizzly G0766 (22x42) and I find that having the larger mass and capacity allows me to do anything from small spindles and lidded jars to large platters and bowls. It's my first real lathe, and I am glad I did not step up from a desk top mini or midi. I saved my coins for quite a while, and mostly turned at monthly club Turn & Learn sessions until I had a real lathe. What got me started was a 1955 Shopsmith that I could turn spindles on safely, but anything out of balance would make the SS walk down the driveway. Needless to say, since I acquired the G0766 I have not turn a single item on the Shopsmith. It's mainly used as a drill press, table saw (poorly) and a bandsaw (limited capacity). Take your time choosing what best suits your goals, and wait to make the best choice.

I only have 110V as I'm a renter so have no way to get 220V power so any 220V lathe is out of the question unfortunately.