PDA

View Full Version : Need design ideas ...

Tim Boger
03-28-2018, 9:08 PM
A customer has asked me to make her a Round Segmented Picture frame that will hold a round 10-1/4" piece of Stained Glass, it needs to be finished on both sides so that the Stained Glass once framed could be hung in front of a window with either side facing in towards the living space.

Any SketchUp wizards here that can whip up a drawing detail?

Thanks,
Tim

Dick Strauss
03-29-2018, 7:52 AM
Turn it as two discs with a rabbet half the depth of the stained glass taking into account the lead depth and an outside edge that is tapered and almost parallel to the rabbet. Then glue the halves together with the stained glass in place. Sand the outside joint until smooth. Cover the stained glass with painters tape, etc and finish one side at a time...

JohnC Lucas
03-29-2018, 8:07 AM
I just use a compass, pencil and pad and paper.

Perry Hilbert Jr
03-29-2018, 8:53 AM
i recently made a round mirror frame on the lathe. I mounted a one inch thick piece of mahogany on a face plate and turned the back side and carved out most of the center.leaving the area around the screws full width. I then turned part of the front around the outer circumference from the head stock side while still mounted on the face plate. I sanded the back and outer edge to finish smooth and finished the very outer edge (front and back) I then removed the frame from the face plate, hand cut the center out with a coping saw and flipped it around and mounted it on cole jaws and then very gingerly cut the rest of the front side. Once I had the final shape on the front, I sanded the front not quite out to the cole jaw nubs and finished the front. I shifted the cole jaw nubs inward and then remounted the piece holding against the inner edge, with very light pressure to avoid cracking the frame and dressed up the finish around the outer edge to match. To do it again, I might cut the front and outer edge of the back first on the face plate and just finish the mortise for the mirror on the back side in the cole jaws. Since yours will be two sided, I like the idea of turning the frame in front and back halves to fit together, but that may be difficult to sandwich together seamlessly. Perhaps finish the front and back of the frame making the mortise to hold the glass extra deep and then make a thin trim ring to finish around the edge of the glass and fit the mortise. Sort of a frame within a frame on the one side.

Tim Boger
03-29-2018, 9:17 AM
Morning Dick

That is the plan, although I don't have the piece of glass and it's possibly to fragile to be shipped ... I was thinking of 3-4 1/2 X 1/8 on each inside mating surface.

Thank you for your help.
Tim

Turn it as two discs with a rabbet half the depth of the stained glass taking into account the lead depth and an outside edge that is tapered and almost parallel to the rabbet. Then glue the halves together with the stained glass in place. Sand the outside joint until smooth. Cover the stained glass with painters tape, etc and finish one side at a time...

Tim Boger
03-29-2018, 9:20 AM
Great explanation Perry, thank you for taking the time to help.
Tim

Matt Schrum
03-29-2018, 10:42 AM
I know it's not on the lathe-- but when I had to make a round, segmented frame (about 20" in diameter if I recall), I used a router and a jig to make it (sort of like the image below).

Depending on what profile or shape you're looking for and what tools you have on hand, off the lathe may also be an attractive option.