PDA

View Full Version : Plunge router out of warranty at 40 days! Recommendations?

Roger Bull
03-28-2018, 5:54 PM
A little over a month ago I purchased another plunge router because I wanted one that could handle large planer bits like my 2" Infinity (and it had a track attachment that allowed use with my Festool and Makita tracks). It worked reasonably well planing slabs. Over the weekend a screw dropped out and I discovered why, it was stripped. No way to easily repair it. When I went to their website I discovered that the 3 year warranty was only 30 days because I did not register my router with them. My 40 day old router is out of warranty even though the box says 3 year warranty! That was the last straw. I know that some states do not allow that type of restriction but I decided not to fight with the manufacturer and called Amazon. They agreed to allow me to return the router even though the return window was closed.

Now I am looking for a replacement. My only other plunge router is a Milwaukee 5616-24 which includes a plunge base but I leaning towards the Bosch MRC23EVSK with newer features like soft start, lights, dust collection, and the trigger control built into the handle. Unfortunately the Bosch is rated at about the same amount of power as my Milwaukee and I'm not sure how it will handle the large heavy bits.

What do you guys recommend for a powerful, high quality plunge router?

Brian Holcombe
03-28-2018, 6:30 PM
Festool is pretty good, if I had to pick one tool to keep from my festool lineup and give away all the rest, it might be their router. I have an OF1400, but in your case you might want to get the big kid version, the OF2200.

Mike Manning
03-28-2018, 6:39 PM
What brand was this router?

Earl Rumans
03-28-2018, 6:44 PM
The Makita RP2301FC is supposed to be a good router but I haven't used it There is also the Dewalt 3hp EVS router.

Osvaldo Cristo
03-28-2018, 6:45 PM
I think the Bosch router model you mentioned is the same Bosch GOF 1600CE outside the US. I have that router and it is extremely capable. Better than my Hitachi TR12 it is replacing. No worries even with big raises panel but as I could use it in a single pass, even I know it is not recommended. I do not think you will be deceptioned with that Bosch router model.

Mike Henderson
03-28-2018, 6:59 PM
You should at least contact the manufacturer and see if they will do anything. You never know unless you try. The worse is that they say "No".

Mike

Nick Decker
03-28-2018, 7:03 PM
Amazon let him return it, though, right? Curious about what brand it was.

Dave Sweeney
03-28-2018, 7:12 PM
Pretty sure a warranty is a warranty and you don't have to register for it to be honored. If the Mfg. states that their standard warranty is 3 years then 3 years it is, period! However, if this router was a factory reconditioned tool then the original standard warranty probably does not come into play.

Roger Bull
03-28-2018, 7:33 PM
It is a Triton TRA-001 router (2400W / 3-1/4hp). Fortunately Amazon let me return it. Probably because I spend too much on Amazon.

From the Triton website: "To activate the extended 3 year guarantee you must register the product at www.tritontools.com (http://www.tritontools.com) within 30 days of purchase. Should you not wish to register, a standard 30 day guarantee period will apply."

Roger Bull
03-28-2018, 7:37 PM
I was afraid someone would recommend the big Festool. Given the number of routers I already have I'd like to avoid spending $1000 on another. It does look nice though.

I closed the Festool page so I wouldn't fall under the spell.

Mike Kees
03-28-2018, 7:44 PM
I have a porter cable 7539 3h.p.It is and has been a solid router with lots of power.

Larry Edgerton
03-28-2018, 8:49 PM
I have a porter cable 7539 3h.p.It is and has been a solid router with lots of power.

Ditto that. I have one that has been abused for twenty years in a commercial setting and still works just as new.

Mike Cutler
03-28-2018, 9:07 PM
I was afraid someone would recommend the big Festool. Given the number of routers I already have I'd like to avoid spending $1000 on another. It does look nice though.

I closed the Festool page so I wouldn't fall under the spell.

Well,you did ask. ;)

Was the Triton getting it done before it broke?
I know it kind of irritated you, but if it was doing what you needed, you might just consider another one, but make sure you get the warranty filled out in time.

PS

The OF2200 is an amazing router. It looks big and clunky, but it is very easy to operate in hand, and so smooth. You can run big bits and throw material everywhere, or do some really fine work with it.
It's big $$$$, but it really is a nice router.

Charles Lent
03-29-2018, 10:12 AM
Stripped threads can be repaired. There are re-threading kits available for most any size. The kit contains a special tap that cuts new larger diameter threads in the damaged hole. Then a spring like stainless thread coil is screwed into this newly threaded hole. The internal threads of this coil then match the original size bolt, so the original bold, if it hasn't been damaged, will screw right in. Heli-Coil is one of the better brands for these. They are available from many sources like Grainger, etc, but here is one of them. https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=helicoil+kits&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=177578066811&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8722271002566680101&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009922&hvtargid=kwd-539780886&ref=pd_sl_pydv4twth_e

Charley

Roger Bull
03-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Stripped threads can be repaired. There are re-threading kits available for most any size. The kit contains a special tap that cuts new larger diameter threads in the damaged hole. Then a spring like stainless thread coil is screwed into this newly threaded hole. The internal threads of this coil then match the original size bolt, so the original bold, if it hasn't been damaged, will screw right in. Heli-Coil is one of the better brands for these. They are available from many sources like Grainger, etc, but here is one of them. https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=helicoil+kits&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=177578066811&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8722271002566680101&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009922&hvtargid=kwd-539780886&ref=pd_sl_pydv4twth_e

Charley

You are correct that they can be repaired and if that was the only problem I probably would have done so or ordered new parts. The no warranty thing bothered me too and I decided I just did not want to fight with them. In fairness I did not call them and ask for an exception. I went by the info on their website and assumed they meant it.

Roger Bull
03-29-2018, 1:03 PM
I have watched a ton of videos on the Festool OF 2200 and it does look like a great router. The only thing I would ask for is lighting. My old eyes really appreciate a brightly lit cutting area. In the end I cannot justify spending 3x the price of the Makita RP2301FC.

I am probably going to go with the Makita RP2301FC that Earl mentioned. Any last minute opinions on the Makita?

Brian Holcombe
03-29-2018, 3:23 PM
Lighting would be wonderful. Noise levels play into it fir me, even with headphones that kill 25dB it gets tiring listening to loud machinery, especially routers.

My router table features a Hitachi, it is considerably louder than the OF1400.

Roger Bull
03-29-2018, 4:48 PM
I ordered the Makita and avoided drinking the green Kool-Aid this time. I did look at the PC but anyplace that I found it in stock was very expensive. Hopefully the Makita will fit the bill. I'll post my thoughts on it once I have some time with it.

Thanks to all for the advice.

joseph f merz
04-08-2018, 10:08 PM
i have the smaller triton . it works .but far from a heavy duty .i found it will flex under load and it is the only router that i have had smoke come out.still though cost less. put a router raiser on it due to the plastic mechanism kept breaking on me .festool routers have more bearings which is nice .i have the 1400 but kinda think it would be a waiste in a router table .well thats a subjective statement . anyhow my favorite router for a table is a 3 1/4hp ryobi .solid router and cheap .25 yrs ago it was 1/2 the price of that big bad boy porta cable . https://bigskytool.com/hitachi-m12ve-3-1-4-hp-variable-speed-router.html .now this one is not the best deal but this company comes up with a few big 3 hp routers at great prices at times .still it is simple and will handle the big bits .
i like the big routers with the handle or nob on top for hieght adjustment .seems like i have to get on my knees to look at the bit adjustment anyhow so the above table feature doesn't seem to be so important .
it "seems" like the kit routers with two bases -the plunge base seems to have a lot of wiggle .