PDA

View Full Version : Question about table saw in a garage shop

Marshall Harrison
03-28-2018, 8:47 AM
Hopefully ordering my table saw next week or the wee after. But I am curious how you guys orient the table saw when its in a garage. My plan is to set it up near the garage door and parallel to the door.

Do you orient the TS so that the wood feeds into the garage or feed out of the garage? I'll pick up some roller stands to use for out feed or if I feed into the garage I can back it up with my workbench.

Or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-28-2018, 9:00 AM
Lot of 8' or longer boards out there, orient it so it'll take the longest you'll use. 8' takes at least that on each side. I like the saw as an island layout, diagonal in the middle of the floor, but I do run longer stuff.

Lisa Starr
03-28-2018, 9:15 AM
Mine is oriented with 12' of clearance on the operator's side, and 8'6" on the outfeed side. It is directly in line with my double doors, so if I need more room on the outfeed, just open the doors. If I have something longer than 12', I'll cut it into "rough OAL" prior to my table saw operations.

Doug Hepler
03-28-2018, 9:35 AM
Marshall,

What size garage? When I had a 2-car garage, I used mobile bases so that I could orient stationary tools as each operation required. Usually, the TS was in the center with the front (feed) side away from the overhead door. Also, my shop-made folding outfeed table avoided the need for outfeed rollers. In my present one-car setup I do not have room for a TS.

Doug,382518

Marshall Harrison
03-28-2018, 9:38 AM
Thanks. My Xterra will not handle lengths in excess of 8 feet unless I put the wood on top which I don't like doing. Also it will only take a couple of boards at 8 feet as the ends have to lay on the front dash. Again something I don't like doing for safety.

I'm leaning towards putting the table saw about 3 feet inside the garage and then feeding into the garage. This would allow me to use my workbench (placed maybe 3 feet from the saw) as an outfeed table. I really want to keep the workbench and saw pretty much stationary. I have the SCMS on a mobile stand and I can roll it out into the driveway for crosscutting long stuff.

Marshall Harrison
03-28-2018, 9:40 AM
Marshall,

What size garage? When I had a 2-car garage, I used mobile bases so that I could orient stationary tools as each operation required. Usually, the TS was in the center with the front (feed) side away from the overhead door. Also, my shop-made folding outfeed table avoided the need for outfeed rollers. In my present one-car setup I do not have room for a TS.

Doug,382518

Thanks for replying Doug. It reminded me that I need to get back to reading your book.

Matthew Hills
03-28-2018, 9:42 AM
We normally park one car in our 2-car garage. My tool layout is intended to allow access to my most common operations as-is, and to be flexible when needed.

When cutting, my outfeed is towards the garage door.
I like this location and orientation as it maximizes the usable space in the center of the shop and means that I'm operating the saw from the center, rather than walking around the tool to use it. This arrangement allows about 4' of outfeed before I need to open the garage door. I use a rigid flip stand for support of long rips, and open the garage door when necessary. The saw is on an HTC mobile base, and I will move it away from the wall if I need much more rip capacity (plywood), but my most common rips and crosscuts are done in place.

I will note that the garage door is a bit awkward -- it blocks overhead lighting when open and also makes bringing in any over-arm dust collection more awkward.

Matt

glenn bradley
03-28-2018, 9:43 AM
I feed into the shop with the large door at my back. My saw is positioned so that I can just barely feed a 60" panel of BB ply with the door closed, I work with sheet goods infrequently so this has proved very workable for me. I generally have more than enough room to move about in the operator's position which is great for putting sleds and jigs on and off the saw.

My outfeed is also an assembly table which is movable. This means when I move it away from the saw it moves into the main open area of my workflow which is he hub of my machine and workbench 'circle'.

Rick Moyer
03-28-2018, 9:50 AM
Two stall garage. Since I pretty much only woodwork inside (wintertime, too busy in summer) I need to maximize interior space. My TS is positioned so that I have over 8' to the blade from the inside of the one garage doors, positioned so that the blade aligns with the walk-in door at the opposite side (outfeed). I have at least (interior) eight feet on both the infeed and outfeed, but if I need to rip something longer than that I still have that option if I open the walk-in and the garage door.

Bob Bouis
03-28-2018, 10:18 AM
A lot of people these days seem to be putting the table saw off to the side a bit. I hate opening the overhead door so mine has about 6' of infeed and outfeed. It can be moved for longer rips (which you don't do that often).

Ray Newman
03-28-2018, 12:23 PM
Whenever possible, I now oriented my power tools so the workflow feeds out of the garage. That way, I will see a anyone who approaches the opened door.

I was once surprised as I operated the router table and wearing ear muffs -- my wife's friend approached me and tapped me on the shoulder. Scared the begeezus out of me and I almost lost control of the work.

andy bessette
03-28-2018, 1:08 PM
I would never orient my table saw so my back was to the door.

Brian Nguyen
03-28-2018, 1:16 PM
You have to calculate the probabilities of your neighbors surprising you with your back to the garage door to your wife's sudden appearance with your back to the garage entrance into the house, and choose accordingly.

I've had an instance in which I'm at the table saw with ear protection on and totally focused on a rip cut, and my wife came home and decided that it was the best of time to give a loving hug. I was not happy, scream of terrors were made, and had to explain to her why it wasn't a good idea to surprise someone with power tools running.

I would never orient my table saw so my back was to the door.

Derek Cohen
03-28-2018, 1:27 PM
I don't get this need to rip 8' boards. How often is this a need for a home shop?

I may have 8' boards in my shop (I do), but these get crosscut to rough length before jointing. Jointing long lengths is an inefficient way of preparing stock.

What am I missing?

I, too, have a double garage, and a space must be left for one car (mine!).

My tablesaw is positioned where it fits with workflow. This is closest to my work bench. The jointer-planer and bandsaw are further away and close to one another, as they often work as a team.

https://s19.postimg.org/cdznzr5pf/image.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

andy bessette
03-28-2018, 1:33 PM
I don't get this need to rip 8' boards...

I usually rip 8' and 10' boards before moving on to secondary operations.

Grant Aldridge
03-28-2018, 1:55 PM
I crosscut to rough length before ripping and haven't needed more than 5ft in a long time, mobile bases will be a good addition though

Andrew Seemann
03-28-2018, 3:11 PM
The length of your rip cuts depends a lot on the scale of the work you are doing. I do a fair amount of work with dimensions up to and beyond 8 feet, so an 8 foot rip is quite common for me. If I just made jewelry boxes or end tables I probably would not need that much capacity.

I have the shop set up so that I can work on 9 foot boards without moving tools around, since most of my lumber starts out a little longer than 8 feet. More than 9 foot usually require moving something and I rarely need to do more than 12 feet at a time.

Having the table saw on a mobile base is very helpful, even if you don't move it a lot. Those few times when you do often make it worth having, even if you have dedicated shop space that isn't shared with a vehicle.

Carlos Alvarez
03-28-2018, 3:38 PM
I have done both feed into the garage, and feed out. Currently I have it set to feed in, and prefer it, based on my space. I never use infeed tables or support, but I do need outfeed. I have my work/assembly bench set up behind the saw to provide outfeed support. I used to set up an outfeed support as needed. I left myself a bit of space to the left, and I have an extension to the right that's probably about 50" I think. I keep the scroll saw parked in a space where it interferes with large boards, so it's on a mobile base and easily moved. I find this ideal for my needs, other than having more space to have the outfeed stay dedicated and never put anything on it. But in the real world of a two car garage, it seems ideal to me.

Carlos Alvarez
03-28-2018, 3:44 PM
I should have added that a lot depends on which side of the door you put it on, and other tools you want in the same area. My bandsaw is also positioned at the door, feeding out, since that puts the open side of the saw into the almost unlimited space next to it. At a previous house the TS best fit right by a wall which would have made it illogical to position the other way.

And the extension table is useful for hanging out in the driveway, which my neighbors like to do, and drink beer. I just had to train them not to put a beer on the iron part.

Bernie May
03-28-2018, 5:28 PM
My table saw and jointer/planer are oriented so anything over 3 feet goes out the double sliding doors I put on my double garage. Those sliding barn style doors are the best. You can open one at a time for just a little air with out letting the neighborhood see you and they don’t get in the way of overhead lights.

Zachary Hoyt
03-28-2018, 6:17 PM
Normally I don't have to rip more than 8 foot long boards and I can get them in pretty easily, but I built two wood strip canoes a few years ago and was ripping 14-16 foot long aspen boards into strips just under 1/4" wide. At that time the table saw was in the loft of a 20x30 building and I had to align it diagonally corner to corner of the loft. It was a bit of a challenge handling the long lengths, but with a roller on each side it worked out okay in the end.
Zach

Scott Buehler
03-28-2018, 10:54 PM
Entertainment centers and pantry/ linen cabinets use allot of 8 foot cuts in sheets, so I do it often. Just depends I the type of work you do.

Derek Cohen
03-29-2018, 1:09 AM
My thoughts have always tended to run to setting up for what you do most of the time. This will offer the best and most comfortable working environment. There are always exceptions that require a work-around. I'd rather have something set up for the 95 times out of a 100 they will be used in a preferred manner, than for the 5 times of a 100 they may be used. I just would not like to arrange everything for these few occasions if this leads to unwanted compromises. It's no different from spending more on tools that are used most frequently and less on tools that are used infrequently.

Regards from Perth

Derek

andy bessette
03-29-2018, 1:29 AM
My thoughts have always tended to run to setting up for what you do most of the time...

My thoughts differ, tending towards setting up to provide maximum latitude and capability, rather than intentionally limiting myself.

Pete Staehling
03-29-2018, 6:49 AM
I don't get this need to rip 8' boards. How often is this a need for a home shop?

I may have 8' boards in my shop (I do), but these get crosscut to rough length before jointing. Jointing long lengths is an inefficient way of preparing stock.

My experience with that is similar. I often buy rough lumber in long lengths because that is what my supplier carries, but more often than not I let him cut them to shorter lengths before I even take them home. I never joint anything over 5' long and seldom even joint a 5' piece.

Obviously it depends on what you build, but I am a luthier and when I do build something other than musical instruments I typically build smaller pieces.

To answer the original question... I have my TS in the middle of the rollup door fairly close to the door set up to feed the work into the shop.

Marshall Harrison
03-29-2018, 8:15 AM
Well, i guess the old "Different strokes for different folks" adage holds true here too.

After reading all of this I'm leaning towards placing the saw about 3 feet in from the garage door and feeding into the garage. 3 feet would give me room to do crosscuts with the door shut and with the workbench behind the saw I'll have it for an outfeed table. That also puts the workbench under a shop light. The driveway will be used for expansion of my work area on an as needed basis. If that doesn't work out after a few months then I'll reverse it.

Most of my work will be mission or farm style furniture but there will be some kitchen tables that may require longer lengths.

Thanks for all of the responses. Each was carefully read and considered.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-29-2018, 9:04 AM
The length of your rip cuts depends a lot on the scale of the work you are doing. I do a fair amount of work with dimensions up to and beyond 8 feet, so an 8 foot rip is quite common for me. If I just made jewelry boxes or end tables I probably would not need that much capacity.

Exactly. I'm a carpenter by trade, mill a lot of long stuff. I actually have 16' ish on both ends of mine, but most people wont need that.

Matthew Hills
03-29-2018, 9:09 AM
Sounds good.

I'd recommend testing the 3' spacing with a table or work surface placed 3' from a wall and see how you like simulating the work in that position. While I work with the garage door open sometimes, I typically have the door closed if the weather is bad or in the evening hours (to minimize noise for neighbors).

I'd recommend some sort of mobile base to ease any future refactoring, even if you don't plan to move equipment every time you use the shop.

Matt

Cary Falk
03-29-2018, 9:17 AM
I have my saw in a mobile and move it often. I always cut with my back to the garage door. I never really thought about why it just felt more natural. It does allow me to see my wife when she comes into the garage and can't sneak up and surprise me.

Carlos Alvarez
03-29-2018, 10:45 AM
My thoughts have always tended to run to setting up for what you do most of the time. This will offer the best and most comfortable working environment. There are always exceptions that require a work-around. I'd rather have something set up for the 95 times out of a 100 they will be used in a preferred manner, than for the 5 times of a 100 they may be used. I just would not like to arrange everything for these few occasions if this leads to unwanted compromises. It's no different from spending more on tools that are used most frequently and less on tools that are used infrequently.

That's how I see it, at least now. I used to try to be ideal about every tool setup, then realized I was wasting space and perhaps making other shop functions less convenient. Just for the thing I might do once a year. Recently as I did a new DC setup and overall shop makeover, I actually reduced potential board sizes for some tools, but increased it for others or simply made the space more open to deal with it. My miter saw, though I thought I gave it lots of space, was always a bit of a challenge with a large board. It got more space and a new table. This killed the ability to put a long board in my drum sander--which I almost never do. But I had given it the ability and meanwhile reduced capacity that I did need elsewhere. If I need a long board in the drum sander then I have to move the jointer a bit and turn the sander 45 degrees. Once a year.

A lot of this just comes from experience on how you use your shop and what you build.

My sheet storage does not have the ability to hold a full sheet any more. People asked if I was freakin' nuts. Well, I've never put a full sheet in it. Ever. If I buy a full sheet of product it's for something I'm building today and will never store the full sheet. So about 6' long and 4.5' wide is the limit now. Because of the location the 2' reduction is very important for other uses of the space.

I use the router table a couple times a year maybe. It was eating a lot of space. Gone. I'm not sure what I'll do, but it needs to be in a multi-purpose table or surface to be out of the way when not needed (most of the time).

glenn bradley
03-29-2018, 11:05 AM
I'll add that my back to the door is a non-issue. I only open that door when cutting from stock over 60" in length which is rare in my shop. The right position for you will depend on what you are doing. In the end, unless you are ducting in the DC with metal duct, a relocation to 'improve your lie' is not a big deal. My shop has suffered numerous small adjustments to get it where it is now.

Carlos Alvarez
03-29-2018, 12:16 PM
with out letting the neighborhood see you

My neighbors call my open garage the "bat signal." They know they are free to just show up. They often bring beer, whiskey, and/or cigars, as well as good conversation and shop help. I can't complain. I have good neighbors. In fact just having the door open has resulted in meeting new hunting partners, and people who will be life-long friends.