PDA

View Full Version : Need some new music for my MP3 player

Dave Lehnert
03-27-2018, 10:45 PM
I have a job where I can listen to my MP3 player all day. 8 Hrs a day my play list is getting kinda old.
I listen to mostly Metal (PRIEST!) but I also have anything form Cash to Stringbean too.
If you had to pick one album, What would it be?

As I said above, I am a Judas Priest fan. Their new album " Firepower" has a lot of great songs.

Roy Petersen
03-28-2018, 8:06 AM
As I said above, I am a Judas Priest fan.
Been a long while since I listened to them. :)
You might consider listening to Tool?
A sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tja6_h4lT6A

Malcolm Schweizer
03-28-2018, 9:15 AM
I can't help, but I have a Judas Priest story for you. Many years ago, I dated a girl whose uncle owned a tour bus and he would drive for all the big name bands of the era. He had been contracted to drive Judas Priest, and he was so worried they were going to trash his bus. He said he was shocked when they showed up in business suits and were the most professional people he had ever driven for.

Prashun Patel
03-28-2018, 9:33 AM
Zeppelin Physical Graffitti or Beatles White Album.

That from which all modern rock derives (deliberately provocative)

Chase Mueller
03-28-2018, 9:50 AM
If you're in to any "new" metal, check out Every Time I Die. Been around for about 20 years and each album gets better and better. I'd start with It Remembers, maybe Map Change, or my personal favorite, Wanderlust.
May like Thrice as well, they have a real nice heavy rock sound. Check out Black Honey, Sea Change, or Blood In The Sand by them, those are arguably their best songs, in my opinion.
Lemme know if you like any of it and I'm happy to suggest more! I listen to just about every genre so I always have something to suggest lol

Jim Becker
03-28-2018, 10:00 AM
If you want something with the metal qualities, try some of the material from James Durbin who has both solo recordings and now performs with Quiet Riot. His voice is incredible. He was a contender on American Idol a few years ago.

My music tastes are all over the spectrum from jazz to singer-songwriter to alternative to all but the darkest "metal". There's not much I will not listen to and my song inventory covers it all.

Chase Mueller
03-28-2018, 11:28 AM
My music tastes are all over the spectrum from jazz to singer-songwriter to alternative to all but the darkest "metal". There's not much I will not listen to and my song inventory covers it all.

Missin out man! If you like any of the "lighter" metal, check out Every Time I Die like I referenced earlier. Good stuff.

Jim Becker
03-28-2018, 1:53 PM
I'll do that Chase.

Carlos Alvarez
03-28-2018, 4:00 PM
I use iTunes streaming for 100% of my driving, office, and shop time. Everything in the world is sitting there. Select a Judas Priest song and tell it to "play stuff like this" and there you go. Discover something else you like, then tell it to build from that, etc. It learns your likes and makes good suggestions and playlists.

Dave Lehnert
04-12-2018, 9:38 PM
I can't help, but I have a Judas Priest story for you. Many years ago, I dated a girl whose uncle owned a tour bus and he would drive for all the big name bands of the era. He had been contracted to drive Judas Priest, and he was so worried they were going to trash his bus. He said he was shocked when they showed up in business suits and were the most professional people he had ever driven for.

Great story.
After a concert in 2002 I was hanging outside talking to some others that also just seen the band in concert. This guy just casually walked by carrying a 6 pack of long neck Budweiser. I looked a second time and it was Ian Hill (Bass player) I got a photo and autograph and out walked KK Downing. They were some of the most down to earth people I ever got to meet. It was misting rain and cold but they stayed and signed autographs and talked to everyone till they got to everyone.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2018, 10:05 PM
Dave,

It's always neat when some famous person as you experienced is a down to earth person to their fans.

We had a similar story with Jeff Cook, of the band Alabama the day after one of their concerts. Our oldest son had just got out of Army bootcamp and was hone on leave. We drove him to the Spokane Airport. Our youngest son was a wearing a long sleeved Alabama t-shirt he'd purchased when he went with us the previous evening to an Alabama concert at WSU in Pullman, WA. While we were sitting there a voice said "Hey Boy! Where'd you get that t-shirt?" It was Jeff Cook, lead guitarist and one of the founding members of Alabama. They were on tour with buses. He had remained in Pullman overnight to finish the business side of things there while the rest of the band traveled on their buses to Missoula, MT for the next series of concerts. He was flying to catch up to them. He talked with us until his flight left and gave our youngest son his autograph. He could have not said a word and we might have overlooked his presence but he went out of his way to make our 12 year old son's day.

Bill Jobe
04-12-2018, 11:25 PM
Without any doubt, Highway 61 Revisited
Bob Dylan

Roy Petersen
04-13-2018, 7:29 AM
It's always neat when some famous person as you experienced is a down to earth person to their fans.
Absolutely. Had a good one myself many years ago. I was at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island working a craft show (Harvest Festival, showing my woodturning), and there was a concert setting up next door outside the exhibition hall. Jethro Tull. Being a huge fan, and having some free time, I went through the open concert hall doors and sat down about 10 rows back to watch the crew setting up the rigging. Someone walked up and sat down a few seats over from me and struck up a conversation. We talked about my days as a roadie (mainly local bands), being a fan, how I couldn't get tickets, just general chat stuff. Friendly guy, I never once even looked over to see who he was.
Introduced himself. "Hi, I'm Ian". As in Anderson. That's me stunned. Gushed a bit, and he asked if I'd like to be able to see the show that night. Walks me over to a small group next to the stage, and gets a pass from a stage hand, and casually introduces me to Martin (Barre). A few pleasantries, and off I go.

The show begins, I grabbed my camera and the pass gets me into the first row off the floor, standing, at the end of the long walk that goes the full length of the arena. Part way into the first song, Ian runs off the stage and heads right towards me. Apparently it's his thing to run all the way around the whole place and back to the stage, right past me in this case. Just as he gets to me, he pauses, puts his hand on my shoulder and asks "how do you like the show so far?" and runs off. Guy standing next to me stares shocked and asks "you know him?"
"We talk" I said.
Best night, ever.