PDA

View Full Version : Cracked open the sharpening sarcophagus...

john jesseph
03-27-2018, 9:27 PM
Thought I would post pics of my box-o-stuff where my stones etc have been tucked away. I've got all kinds of crap in here, pretty much all I would need for the most part.

The box on top. Bottom one has martial arts gear

Crypt opened.

Here's my oil stones. I don't know much about oil stones.

The next pic has a recent acquisition on top. Unsure what it is. Fine India?

Bottom is a hard black.

Same two stones, showing under side of black stone. I like the look better. Lol

Misc. slips. I don't know what they are. Also a large translucent Arkansas and medium India. I appreciate any information.

New to me stone from above:

Thanks for looking!

Mike Baker 2
03-27-2018, 11:36 PM
The one in front 6 pic down looks like a barber hone.

Mike Baker 2
03-27-2018, 11:37 PM
Nice collection, btw.

Stanley Covington
03-28-2018, 2:18 AM
What, no golden burial masks, painted urns, or rusted swords?

John C Cox
03-28-2018, 9:07 AM
That's in the other box. ;)

Mike Baker 2
03-28-2018, 9:18 AM
:) :eek: :p :D

Stanley Covington
03-28-2018, 9:21 AM
That's in the other box. ;)

Oh joy! I can't wait. Its like a new indiana Jones movie!

john jesseph
03-28-2018, 10:30 AM
Might be more like Geraldo Rivera opening Al Capone's vault.

Except that I may find my grandma's gold fillings.

Todd Zucker
03-28-2018, 10:30 AM
Does the spreadsheet in the second photo contain trade secrets?

John C Cox
03-28-2018, 11:46 AM
Does the spreadsheet in the second photo contain trade secrets?

Hmmm.. Not any more. ;) ;)

Line 1. Original recipe for Coca Cola
Line 2. The Colonel's secret recipe of 11 herbs and spices
Lines 3-5 My BBQ rib rub recipe, home made tartar sauce recipe, and fish beer batter recipe.. How in the heck did you get that? Google Home must have sold me out!!!! I am going to have to contact some authorities about this!!!!

john jesseph
03-28-2018, 12:03 PM
Hm. I am making ribs this afternoon. Suspicious.

john jesseph
03-28-2018, 6:28 PM
Line 2. The Colonel's secret recipe of 11 herbs and spices

https://marionkay.com/product/chicken-seasoning-99-x/

That's the stuff right there. Made close to where we live.

Stanley Covington
03-28-2018, 7:47 PM
Might be more like Geraldo Rivera opening Al Capone's vault.

Except that I may find my grandma's gold fillings.

Reminds me of a Charles Bronson movie!

john jesseph
03-28-2018, 9:04 PM
Lines 3-5 My BBQ rib rub recipe

Awesome rub, is all I can say.

John C Cox
03-29-2018, 9:07 AM
Those are some good looking ribs you got there...

John C Cox
03-29-2018, 9:21 AM
https://marionkay.com/product/chicken-seasoning-99-x/

That's the stuff right there. Made close to where we live.

The actual "secret" of how The Colonel got his fried chicken to take off in "Fast" food service is not the seasoning they use, but rather frying chicken in a pressure cooker fryer. You can cook a whole batch of bone in fried chicken in a bit under 10 minutes vs around 35 minutes for an open fryer... And that means you can keep up with the lunch and dinner rush... You can supply piping hot fresh fried chicken as fast as they can eat it rather than having to fill up warming trays for 2 hours beforehand.... And you don't need 2,000 sq-ft of fryers that only get used 2 hours a day.... But that cooking method also gives it the classic "soft" batter texture rather than thin and crispy...

The other "Secret" is simply adding enough salt to the recipe... The Colonel had trouble with people not liking his fried chicken until one of his franchise owners revealed that he typically had to add a lot more salt to the recipe because his customers did not like it The Colonel's original original recipe....

And that's the magic... If you have enough salt - people will like the taste... And cook it in a pressue cooker so you can keep up with the demand..

john jesseph
03-30-2018, 11:50 AM
I certainly concur, can't beat pressure fryers.

I am nearly ready to actually sharpen, so I dug out the next layer. These are all the various stropping compounds I have fiddled with. Some of these, like the Herb's, I don't know what to do with- sell, give away, idk. They all basically work, and have advantages and disadvantages.

I had some leather tucked away also. No need to upgrade, looks like I'm ready there also.

I hadn't been a vigorous stropping advocate, but it is useful under certain circumstances. I am curious as to other people's opinions and experience.

Jim Koepke
03-30-2018, 3:03 PM
I hadn't been a vigorous stropping advocate, but it is useful under certain circumstances. I am curious as to other people's opinions and experience.

Sometimes stropping can be a slight improvement to a blade. Other times it can actually round over a perfectly good edge. One needs to practice care.

Chris Pye (in his woodcarving book) suggests no more than 10 strokes on a strop. Most of the time my blades only get 3 to 5 strokes on each side against a strop.

Sometimes the stop is not used at all.

jtk