PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Grizzly 514X2 Guide Bearings

James Jayko
03-27-2018, 6:21 PM
Anyone ever have any experience doing this? I've not been very diligent about dust collection or anything else with this saw, and the bearings in the guides seem shot, or at least past their best days.

There are a ton of options out there...factory bearings are 6202ZZ. Options range from $5 replacements which seem to be about like for like (not sure what quality the factory ones are, but I'm assuming low) to $150 ceramic bearings. Has anyone out there replaced their factory bearings and had good luck with anything in particular? Is it worth stepping up to a $20+ bearing?

Bill Dufour
03-27-2018, 8:07 PM
I would replace with 6202rs. no name ebay ones for about $2.00 each. the rs is better suited for use around dust. I do not understand why they still use ZZ bearings around dust with rpm under 10,000 or so.
Bill D.

John Lanciani
03-27-2018, 9:10 PM
6202-2RS (two rubber seals). Available for about a buck apiece on eBay if you buy in quantities of 10.

David Powell
03-27-2018, 9:17 PM
RS bearings are rubber sealed (which does a better job of keeping dust out) but they have a higher rolling resistance. This higher drag could cause the blade to groove the races.

Floyd Mah
03-27-2018, 9:24 PM
Grizzly offers a metal guide set (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Metal-Guide-Set-for-G0513-G0514-Series/T21972) that I placed on my GO514x2 instead of the ball bearing set. Only has the thrust bearing as a ball bearing. It's a very worthwhile replacement. Otherwise the choice is a periodic bath of the bearings in a solvent-oil bath to clean the junk out.

Wow, I can't overemphasize how much better life is without the metal bearings. It's worth the cost even if you just avoid one cycle of removing and cleaning and then reinstalling the ball bearing set. And those bearing (originals) will need the cleaning cycle again, sooner than you think. Accuracy is fine with the metal guides. You'll never miss the old bearings.

Cary Falk
03-28-2018, 2:13 AM
I went with SpaceAge Ceramic on my 513. I had to "rig something for the thrust bearings because they didn't have anything that was a direct fit. Overall I am happy. It is much quieter.

James Jayko
04-01-2018, 10:13 PM
This is what I did. $10 and it works far better than it did when it was new. Thanks Bill!

glenn bradley
04-02-2018, 10:01 AM
For others who may find this thread on a search . . . Shielded will last quite a while if good DC is in place. Sealed bearings are not much more; 6202UU Sealed Ball Bearing 15x35x11 from VXB.

Dave Cav
04-02-2018, 8:28 PM
Grizzly offers a metal guide set (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Metal-Guide-Set-for-G0513-G0514-Series/T21972) that I placed on my GO514x2 instead of the ball bearing set. Only has the thrust bearing as a ball bearing. It's a very worthwhile replacement. Otherwise the choice is a periodic bath of the bearings in a solvent-oil bath to clean the junk out.

My MM20 came with this style of guide; it works very well and I'm glad not to have to deal with (and listen to) the ball bearing guides I had on my previous GO513X2.