PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas to transfer grey scale image on a ceramic disc

Kim Vellore
03-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Hi,
I have a grey scale image that I would like to transfer to a thick heavy ceramic disc ~13" dia. This is a gift for a colleague and I am looking for someone who can do it in San Jose in the next few days. I started with some local award shops and they were not sure on how to do it, then it occurred to me what better place than here to ask for help.
I am not sure if Cermark would do good on grey scale, or if fiber will work, or maybe dyesub? just need some shop with the right equipment and experience.

Thanks
Kim

Bill George
03-27-2018, 12:24 PM
Hi,
I have a grey scale image that I would like to transfer to a thick heavy ceramic disc ~13" dia. This is a gift for a colleague and I am looking for someone who can do it in San Jose in the next few days. I started with some local award shops and they were not sure on how to do it, then it occurred to me what better place than here to ask for help.
I am not sure if Cermark would do good on grey scale, or if fiber will work, or maybe dyesub? just need some shop with the right equipment and experience.

Thanks
Kim

You list a Epilog Legend that you own, how much power does it have? Is this just white ceramic if so try a tiny mark with your machine and see what happens?

Kim Vellore
03-27-2018, 5:01 PM
Bill,
This part is ~13" and does not fit inside my machine. which is a little less than 12X24, It is grey in color and I am guessing Co2 lasering will make it white which will have very less contrast.
Thanks
Kim

Glen Monaghan
03-27-2018, 5:58 PM
If memory serves, you should be able to fit about 14" substrates inside the machine by overhanging the bed both front and back (though you will only be able to engrave the central 12" due to machine limits). Can't recall if the rulers flip up on that model but, if not, you can put spacers underneath the disk to raise it up enough to clear. If the laser doesn't produce sufficient contrast directly, there are laser marking materials for glass and ceramics, similar to the Thermark/Cermark used for metals.

Barring that, do you know anyone local with a UV printer that could do it?

Or mask it with tape, laser away the design you want, paint with choice of color, and remove the tape mask.

Kim Vellore
03-27-2018, 6:14 PM
Thanks Glen,
Since it is a grey scale image Cermark or tape would not give good results. I am looking for UV printing services locally and not getting the right hit, I guess I have to go old fashion way of calling a few places and asking them if they have a UV printer.

John Lifer
03-27-2018, 7:08 PM
Give Johnson Supply a call and ask if they can recommend anyone who has one of their machines that is local to you..... JDS also.

Bill George
03-27-2018, 7:21 PM
Thanks Glen,
Since it is a grey scale image Cermark or tape would not give good results. I am looking for UV printing services locally and not getting the right hit, I guess I have to go old fashion way of calling a few places and asking them if they have a UV printer.

If you want someone locally you might put your location in the post. This is the laser engraving forum and not everyone has a UV printer here. Fiber maybe but the last time I tried my fiber on ceramic it did nothing.

Glen Monaghan
03-28-2018, 9:48 AM
The marking compounds could still work for a gray scale image, if you can tolerate a half-tone print...