PDA

View Full Version : A new build thread?

steven c newman
03-27-2018, 1:28 AM
Well, the current one is about completed..
But, I am having a few health issues going on. Not sure IF I'll be doing another large project anytime soon. More in the line of something I can just sit down at the bench...and cobble something small. Was in the Hospital over the weekend..AFIB going on, there is also a possible leaker in the head, and the thyroid is acting up.....doing a large project will be a no-no for a while, until they get me fixed back up.

maybe a few small boxes? have plenty of "leftovers". Need to get this 6' 5-1/4" tall thing out of my shop....may get some helpers to haul it upstairs and get it ready for delivery.
The Bookcase half can be removed to allow things to be moved.
Drawers can be removed to lighten the load.

So.....IF I get the "all clear" to putter around in the shop...might stck to a few box items for a while....if that is alright.

As usual...Stay tuned ( will update as I get done with all them doctors..)

Mike Baker 2
03-27-2018, 7:23 AM
That came out great. As for projects, do what you want; it's all good. Just pay attention to your Doc.
Best wishes they figure it all out and get you on the road to recovery.

steven c newman
03-27-2018, 8:04 PM
Had the project brought up out of the shop, today..while waiting on things to either get dry, and/or get moved....sharpened a few chisels. Knots in Pine tend to be a bit rough on sharp edges.

Cardio Doctor is referring me to another set of Doctors, out of OSU, Columbus, OH......to run a few tests. Trying to find out HOW to get this thing cleared up. Then Thursday it is back on the road again, for yet another Doctor's Office visit......Going to be a LONG week....might try to do an inventory of the leftovers, and see what I could make use off....

Will update as i go along...might even try to make some sawdust....

Mike Baker 2
03-27-2018, 8:19 PM
Yayy, chisel sharpening. I assume those might be the new ones you "picked" in your other thread? I sharpened the living snot out of all of my chisels and plane irons. They are ready to work wood, if I can ever find a free moment where it's not raining or snowing. Working outside is both blessing and curse; you are at the mercy of the weather, but working outside in the sunlight, listening to the birds and the insects as you work, is great music.
I'm putting up a shed this Spring/Summer. 10' x 12', and dirt floor, but it will be out of the rain. I'll tote tools back and forth like I'm doing now.
Will need to rig up some type of lighting.

steven c newman
03-28-2018, 11:36 PM
Thinking IF I'm allowed to do a bit of woodworking, next project will either be a "Sofa Table" or a small, fancy box.....depends on how the lumber supply is. Living Room is either in Pumpkin Pine items, or White Oak....kind of narrows down what I can use. The Fancy Box? Can be about any wood I have enough leftovers to make it with..

Nothing says I can't do both? Will have to see what I have....

Sofa Table...in a Mission Style? Could be......

trip to the Brain Doctor Thursday afternoon, then the family doctor on Monday about a Thyroid issue....will see what they say. Stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-29-2018, 7:26 PM
Brain Doctor Visit today....he thinks it MIGHT be early stages of Parkinson's.....Will go back in a month for a follow up...not a good day....

Tony Wilkins
03-29-2018, 7:28 PM
Brain Doctor Visit today....he thinks it MIGHT be early stages of Parkinson's.....Will go back in a month for a follow up...not a good day....
Praying that might turns out to be not and something more treatable and benign.

Mike Baker 2
03-29-2018, 7:32 PM
No, not good. But not certain, yet. I'm with Tony. Will continue to pray.

Ray Newman
03-29-2018, 9:05 PM
Steve N.: I have enjoyed your posts. Best wishes for a speedy diagnosis and cure for any maladies...

Mel Fulks
03-29-2018, 10:22 PM
Wishing you good news and an untroubled mind while you wait for it.

steven c newman
03-30-2018, 1:46 PM
Well, to take my mind off of things, I did a little inventory of the leftovers....some were nice
May resaw this a few times, and make a small, fancy box out of it.
The rest of the mess?
mainly 1 x 6 leftovers. couple narrow things....and a few of these..
Was trying to figure out a simple project, to use all these up...looking around the shop..
Built to hold 6...now has 12...maybe a redesign in the works? Research in progress...

Stay tuned ( got to have something to do, for the next month, right?)

Phil Mueller
03-30-2018, 8:39 PM
Prayers for good news. Keep those projects coming!

steven c newman
03-31-2018, 2:02 PM
Got a little bit done today..before the shaking started in...Laid out some slots
Backsaw to make a few cuts.
Chisel & mallet to pop the waste out. I then ran a screw down through the non-slotted parts, to prevent any breaking.
Side pieces were cut at an angle..
Laid out the direction of these wrong, had to add a filler block to the end of the rack...turned out it made things easier to assemble..
Sooo, load it up ( after it was temporarily attached to the bench)
10 drills IN the til, one hanging to the side...and #12 is up hanging with the eggbeaters.
Need to clear this spot..
Move that drill press all the way to the left. This will be the til's new home. Just using up the scrap pine....
There is quite a bit of room, here, in case I want to add trays/ boxes for bits and things.
Which leaves a fancy pine board to do a bit of resaw to, and build a small, fancy box

Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
03-31-2018, 5:38 PM
Nice work. I like the design of that till. I have one brace; saw about 8 of them out rust hunting today. They were all the same size/sweep as the one I have, and the price was too much ($26-$28 each). Might pick up another if I can find it at a decent price, same size or not. Never hurts to have a second of any tool, IMO.

steven c newman
04-01-2018, 8:52 PM
Delivery Day, today...
packed it into the van. drill to attach the bookcase to the base...
Until she finds the "perfect spot" to set it...kind of hard to get a decent picture, with that doorway back there..

Mike Baker 2
04-01-2018, 9:06 PM
That is a strange looking drill. But I like your choice of beverage. :D

Mike Baker 2
04-01-2018, 9:09 PM
I hope to be able to build furniture like that one day. Lovely.

steven c newman
04-01-2018, 9:30 PM
Drill is called a Hammerhead. Was sold at Menard's a while back......about like a 90 degree drill....and has a hammer setting as well. Even has a light!

Mountain Dew for the driver......two plates full of food got washed down with a single beer.....

steven c newman
04-02-2018, 9:47 PM
Been working on a new til for the brace drill...
Stage 1.....reinforced the slots with a screw..
Slots were cut with a backsaw..
Mallet and chisel to remove the waste.
May get a shelf or something in the bottom..
Once the til is in it's new home. Screws to hold the til upright ( there's a lot of weight hanging there..) May just add a top with a drawer or two.
Have to clear all this off, and move the drill press to the left.

Picked up a 1 x 10 x 4' today..."Birdseye Pine". About like the one I used in that cupboard. I also picked a new 1" wide wheel for the grinder.

Thyroid levels are half of what they are supposed to be....working on that. Have sent the DVD of the MRI of my head over to the Brain Doctor's office. I see the lung doctor on the 17th, and check back in with the brain guy on the 26th.....waiting to here the blood work results from today's visit to the Family (Thyroid) Doctor....hard to keep all they people straight...

May resaw the fancy Maple ito a small box...and use the Pine for the drill til..Til holds 10 inside, and one hangs on the outside. Have one more brace, but...the 14" Stanley is just too big for this til. It is hanging out with the eggbeaters...

IF I can get a little time to hide out IN the shop, I might get something done...maybe.

Mike Baker 2
04-02-2018, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I'd have a hard time keeping track, too.

steven c newman
04-03-2018, 11:43 PM
Wasn't any shoptime today....have a small creek running across the shop floor. April Monsoons. Maybe in a couple days, I can get back to work?

Mike Baker 2
04-04-2018, 7:07 AM
Booo. Hope it dries up soon.

steven c newman
04-04-2018, 6:59 PM
Was almost dry, today...soo, I cleared off a space..
Decided to rearrange things a bit. Brass wheel was moved to the other side of the grinder, a new 1" wide "fine" wheel was added...
Sanding center and the grinder switched places....
Needed to move the drill press to the left...but still have it clear the rest of the stuff. Had to re-route the power cords a bit
Need to find a few cable ties, too. Lot of junk got tossed, lots of crud swept off. Bench top is an old table top, sitting on a pair of sawhorses . Sanding center can be reset to allow other items to be used..
The table can be removed, to allow me to work with the Monarch Vise. Air compressor is on the floor below this spot,

Now, about the drill til? well, a bit of a long story...but. I ripped the figured 1 x 10 down to match the top of the til...
Laid out some pilot holes, and then countersunk them..
Part 2 coming up...stay tuned

steven c newman
04-04-2018, 7:08 PM
Ok, part 2.... Installed the top to the til...then moved the assembly to the new home..
Still have a couple storage areas in front of it...
A little overhang on the right, to cover #11 drill.
Now...any flat area does not stay empty very long in this shop..
Couple spokeshaves, most of the squares, and a marking gauge....Box top?
I have a couple other boxes on their way....might add "keepers" on the top, to keep the squares in place..
#12 drill brace? Well, it is hanging out with the eggbeaters..
Still have a lot of that figured pine left...
Along with a few "plain" pieces...might be a box project in there..somewhere? We'll see

Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
04-04-2018, 9:09 PM
Nice! Good use of all the surface area. Love me a spokeshave!
Pine is lovely, as usual. But I love pine. If I could afford hard wood, I'd still buy a boatload of pine as well.

steven c newman
04-05-2018, 2:01 PM
Hmmm, cleaned out the old drawer..
Now, I get to go and buy a few contractor sized trash bags..
Have about two bags worth to haul away. Found all the hammers there were in the shop, and put them in a "til" for now
Found a few files, a few clamps, a slick..
Hard to imagine something this big..
Could hide in that drawer. even found a second sabre saw, a corner clamp, to go with the other two I have
Even a second mallet..
There was even a speed square buried in there!

Going out to get the trash bags in a bit.....then I can continue with this "Spring Cleaning"...
Files that didn't have a handle...were placed in a drawer....handled ones, and a slick are now sitting in the drawer..
Not too sure about that drill bit....
Stay tuned....

Mike Baker 2
04-05-2018, 10:05 PM
looks like you need to dig around in old drawers more often. :D

steven c newman
04-06-2018, 8:29 PM
Basically took today off from the shop (took Olde Parte Nap, instead) got a trash bag ready for tomorrow, had to go out to the Blue Borg, for a new light bulb for the bandsaw.....takes a bayonet style 25 watt, 120V bulb. Twin contacts on the base. Was with the other "Appliance Lighting" bulbs. ( Think Microwave lights) Just under $5..

Last night, it was the Firepit's turn...had a LOT of cardboard to get rid of. City will NOT recycle the stuff....pine shavings make excellent fire-starters. Some of the bad scraps may wind up in the Firepit....saves stuffing them into a trash bag. Maybe I can do a Spring Cleaning this weekend? Anyone want to come and help out?

Mike Baker 2
04-06-2018, 9:47 PM
Bit far for me to travel. Speaking of clean up, I need to clean up all the wood shavings and off cuts around my bench outside. Neighbor has a big fire pit I can toss 'em on. Need to plane a couple more boards for this current project and then it's all fiddly stuff from there.

steven c newman
04-07-2018, 3:25 PM
Turning into a clean up thread....well..today was two tries to get something done. First one of these is in the trash can..
Weighs about..100 pounds...had to take a break after hauling this TO the trash can...also made a few trips with one of these..
Have made about 4 or 5 trips to the backyard's firepit...shavings and scraps..
Cable ties to tie up the first trash bag. I also tidied up the power cords..
Goal today...was to clean outthis mess..
Either into the firepit, or a trash bag..
Getting there. Also cleaned out from under the benches, this one..
And this one ( mitre box bench) also under the bandsaw..( with a brand new light bulb...;))
Need to get this to dry out a bit, anyway. Have one other area that needs cleaned out..
Stay tuned.

steven c newman
04-07-2018, 3:34 PM
There is an area, beside the Mitre Box Bench and the wall....scraps on such seem to hide out there...
Tomorrow, I'll see about dragging things out of this corner....Firepit will see most of this mess. I might slide the old bandsaw ( not in use, anyway) over to the til bench. Then slide the SKIL Router Table into where the bandsaw used to be. Hopefully, that will keep junk from building up in there.
Broom and a leaf rake...and a snowshovel....Back stiffened up...too much bending over to pick things off the floor. May dump some of the mess into the Garden Plot...free mulch? Wonder how many tools wound up back in that corner...

Had enough fun for a day...until time to light the firepit...

Mike Baker 2
04-07-2018, 6:50 PM
Just don't work yourself too hard, that's a lot of clean up. I got a few more pieces cut to length on the chisel rack I'm working on; will need to plane them flat, smooth and square the next opportunity I get. That'll be a few days from now.
Did not get any clean up done here today. Got together with good friends this afternoon and made some music instead.

steven c newman
04-08-2018, 1:49 PM
Ok...Decided the trash bag was just full enough...45 pounds is easier to haul up the stairs than the 100 pounder was...
Decided to take a break from the clean-up, and make a bit of sawdust, today.....re-sawdust, that is...set up the bandsaw for a 3/8" thick cut..
Re-saw fence, high-tech clamp. Ran some Pine boards through..
Even did a glue-up..
Mating edges were already jointed, easier to resaw, that way. Then rotate them like opening a book, spread a bead of glue, clamp it up for a day...others were jack planned flat..
Made a jig out of 1/4" plywood. Might try to build a box..
And find a use for the rest of the thin Pine..
Which left this to be swept up..
Now sitting in the Yellow Scooper, awaiting a trip to the firepit...
Back stiffened back up...time for a break.
Have helpers coming tomorrow, once they wake up....maybe finish the clean up?
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
04-09-2018, 10:08 AM
This being a Monday...shop will be closed for the day....maybe.....depends on how other things go. IF I get a little help moving things around, I can get the last of the clean up done. Then the Boss wants the other half of the basement cleaned out.....

Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
04-09-2018, 10:27 AM
They are calling for a high of 44 here, still somewhere around 30 right now. Rest of the week looks better.
"Boss" has got some "things" for me to do today as well, but I haven't received my marching orders yet.

steven c newman
04-09-2018, 10:12 PM
One "Honey-do" task was done....and the brakes for the van replaced...that was it for today. Rather boring, actually.....about like a day off? Maybe tomorrow, I can get back to the shop?

steven c newman
04-10-2018, 2:10 PM
Well, Tuesday is here, shop is open. Promptly made mess..
Tracked this mess down to two culprits..
Panel is out of the clamps, and has been flattened, for now...
I also flattened the two long sides..
A look at the soles of the two planes..
And the difference between a smoother (#4) and a Jack...While digging out, I found a couple "Accent" pieces to add to the box..
Have a few pieces to flatten yet..
Might turn these two into a bottom for the box?
Swept the floor, again...started hauling out a few loads to the Firepit..
This be Load #4 for today....
Stay tuned...details from the excavations coming up...:eek:

steven c newman
04-10-2018, 2:20 PM
Ok, First I had to lift this thing out of it's hole..
At least it wasn't the main bandsaw....might have been a bit much to lift & Carry....stated to find a few "goodies" buried back there..

The #4 is there for scale....next..
Stanley Handyman square....next..
Couple of "Original" boxes...60-1/2...1455....next..
5/8" Plug cutter...and..
Piece of 6/4 Maple. Might be able to cobble a few chisel handles?
Have about 4 more loads for the firepit....maybe later, once the first four loads have burned down...
Maybe tomorrow, I can start on building a "simple" box?
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
04-10-2018, 5:31 PM
As for that box build.....thinking a hinged lid. Corners to be hand-cut finger joints. Will have to select a size of a chisel to chop with, to set how thick the fingers will be. Sides are a bit thin, to groove for a bottom panel....may try something else...Maybe a pedestal for the box to sit in, and hold the bottom panel? might have enough extra Pine for that....I suppose I could cobble something up? We'll see, after all that clean-up is done.

I now have a smaller trashcan..with wheels! I can wheel it up to the firepit. All burnables from the shop can be tossed into the can...it even has a lid! Need to find a spot to sit it in, in the shop. Boss does have a small wastebasket, for her Laundry stuff....might toss non-burnable stuff in there. At least TRY to keep the mess somewhat under control.

Stay tuned....firepit starts in a couple hours...bring something to "roast"..hotdogs? marshmallows,?

Mike Baker 2
04-10-2018, 9:01 PM
Hot dogs sound good. Or what my mother called Pocket Stew. Hamburger, potato slices, onion. bell pepper, wrapped in foil and tossed in the coals til done.
You will be stylin' with the new trash can! I actually need to get me a wheelbarrow for the same purpose. Since I'm working outside, I just need to chuck everything in it and wheel it down the hill.

steven c newman
04-11-2018, 9:47 PM
Dropping back here...easier to catch up. Corner has been cleaned out..
Old Bandsaw placed in it's new home...
As soon as I get this thing cleaned off..
The router table will sit in beside the bandsaw. Trashcan?
Now...a "before"
And then..the "after"..
The second square found in the mess?
Cleaned up nicely. Need to haul the trash can out of the shop, though..
Too windy outside, to burn in the firepit...maybe tomorrow night, eh?

Maybe another day, and then back to woodworking..stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
04-11-2018, 10:15 PM
Yep. You're ready to dirty that all back up now. :p
Nice job!

Jerry Olexa
04-11-2018, 10:55 PM
Steve, hope the tests and MD visits give you some good reports...Got to get you back in the shop full time...Take care of yourself ..
Listen to your MDs..

steven c newman
04-12-2018, 2:00 PM
Thyroid is back to "normal" levels...lung Doctor visit next Tues. ( COPD), and a recheck with the "head" doctor on the 26th.

High winds today.....a lot of the ashes are getting blown out of the fire pit.....found two items I missed in the clean up..
A Seymour Smith & Sons spokeshave. The other items? All that remains of a Veritas MK1 honing guide....was about worn out, anyway, but still....
Spokeshave merely lost all of it's paint, did not warp any...have it outside, soaking in WD40.....will clean it up, later..

Maybe I can do a bit of wood working later? We'll see.

Mike Baker 2
04-12-2018, 8:06 PM
Glad for the good news on the thyroid!
Love a spokeshave, btw. Only got one, but I see them often, and will probably end up with a few more. Beautiful things.

steven c newman
04-12-2018, 8:43 PM
Did not take all that long to rehab the spokeshave..
Cold Gun Blue paste, instead of paint....
Sole needed work, anyway..
Iron is sharpened back up, ready to go.
Now, I have three spokeshaves to choose from...

Mike Baker 2
04-12-2018, 8:52 PM
That thing looks great! I like the idea of using the gun blue.

steven c newman
04-13-2018, 9:18 PM
Dropping back here, again. Was "distracted" by a HUGE yard sale....First day on Thursday....picked a 1/2" pipe clamp, and a $5 box lot...
Screwdriver with the red & black hollow handle....had the Torx bit I needed to change out the Hi-mount Brake light on the van.
Three tool chests....had to come back today to buy one of them..
Full of odd tools, fittings and..
Still doing an inventory...that "T" fitting?
Is the pipe clamp. May shorten it down a bit, and ditch the fitting.
Weather is to turn nasty tomorrow, maybe I can hide out in the shop, and make a bit of sawdust. Was way too windy today to burn shavings.

Mike Baker 2
04-14-2018, 9:55 AM
Nice haul. I saw two or three old tool boxes rust hunting the other day. Lots of tools I already had, so left them.

Jerry Olexa
04-14-2018, 5:20 PM
Glad to hear you rec'd a good report from the MDs......Get back in the shop...

steven c newman
04-15-2018, 9:26 PM
Once I get all the rust Hunt items cleaned and put away...then I can start on a bit of sawdust making...

Traded off a couple extra planes for a few items....a 6" square, a Versatool screwdriver, and a Stanley #60-1/2. Block plane is done, and ready to go to work. square is cleaned up, needs checked to see how "square" it is.

Hmmm...hand-cut box/finger joints? Will see how they turn out, in 3/8" Pine. Stay tuned...

steven c newman
04-17-2018, 1:52 AM
Jointed the edges of two "side" pieces...and squared the ends. Haven't decided how long they will be, yet.
"Trade-in" plane was making a few shavings..
Then, being a Monday:rolleyes:, things got turned sideways..
Made walnut replacement wedges for the old plough plane..still fine tuning them.
Cut down a bit of Ash....the old fence is getting replaced...needed to make the rebate..
Set the #78 for width, and planed away...I also cut out a maple blank..
Rough cut. Both for shape, and thickness. Shaping down will be another day. Couple of "runs" to the stores....some for this computer. and some for the shop..
Plus a few sanding belts for the beltsander. Just another Monday....Tuesday finally got here..got all the problems fixed on the computer..then the Internet goes down..finally got that back up...that will be enough for this very L O N G day...Visit with the Lung Doctor Tuesday afternoon...stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
04-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Hope you get good news at the Doc's.

steven c newman
04-17-2018, 5:22 PM
Ok....dusty from all the shaping going on...but,
Kept test fitting until it did indeed fit..
Maybe some fine sanding? Had a glue-up going on, as well...
One of the posts had split....and broke off. Cleaned it up, and glued it back in place. Had the fence drilled and counter sunk..
But had to go out and buy a couple new #10 woodscrews....as these were about...
Shot. This was even after I wire-wheeled all the rust & Crud off.

Debating on adding a screw to the handle.....just into the toe section? Dovetailed mortise is just about all gone....and I am not too crazy about relying on just glue to hold the handle...
Think I have the wedges to lock the fence's arms about fitted....arms are tapered, too...wedges needed to be a bit longer than the old, worn down ones...too many hammer smacks in the last 150+ years.

Lung Doctor visit? Just renewed the inhalers (2) and said see you in 3 months....

steven c newman
04-17-2018, 8:04 PM
Well...got things put back together, iron sharpened up, it's wedge needed some fine adjusting. Got out the Golden Oak Stain...then the amber shellac...PIP?
Went ahead with the #10 screw to secure the tote....dovetail part was worn away....and I didn't want to rely on just glue..
Wedges for the fence were tuned up. Fence attached to the arms. Used new #10 wood screws.
Test drive. Set the fence for 1/4" from the edge....there is no depth stop on this plane..
Shavings curl up and spiral out the right side of the plane..
I think this will do. May need a few more coats.

Needed to get this done, before some of the parts walked away. Now, maybe I can start a box project?
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
04-18-2018, 6:56 PM
Took three saws out to get sharpened, today. Not much else got done. A 5 x 30 saw for the Langdon ACME No. 75....a Richardson Brothers crosscut, and a Disston D-8 panel saw. Will pick them back up next Tuesday...maybe......May have to wait until a week from Friday...teeth are too small for me to see..let alone set and sharpen.

Mike Baker 2
04-18-2018, 9:11 PM
Plane looks good.
On the saws, I need a magnifying head visor to sharpen and set 10 tpi, so I sympathize.
And that sounds like good news on the Lung doctor visit. Awesome.

steven c newman
04-20-2018, 7:37 PM
Dropping back here, again. Shop is cleaned up, needed to get the plough plane done, so I wouldn't loose any parts. Cleared the bench, and started back making saw dust and shavings....a Build Thread.
Used my Mitresaw to square a few ends..( you were expecting something with a motor?)
Making shavings....Stanley.No. 7 and a No. 14 (Millers Falls, #5 size)....
Clamped a few boards together, jointed the edges, after getting them to the same thickness....one was an 1/8" thicker....was trying to get two edges to match..
Yes, there ARE two boards sitting there. Was gluing up a panel for a box's bottom panel..
Let this sit a day, or two.
Got out a few toys..
This will be an end for the box. Pencils and the chisel were used to lay out for some Box/Finger Joints on the ends of the two sides.
"X" marks the waste I have to remove. Need to saw on the waste side, use that 1/4" chisel to chop the waste out....then cut the matching fingers on the end piece.
Top and bottom panels will get a pine molding to attach to the box. Lid will be just a lift off item....debating on a knob/handle to use.

back to being a Build Thread..stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
04-20-2018, 8:15 PM
Aaaand, we're off!
Nice glue up.

steven c newman
04-21-2018, 9:30 PM
Not much got done today....had a Stanley No. 5-1/2 to tune up. Also had yet another road trip...this time I went to a couple sales....spent $5 on a metal box:confused:
But this one wasn't empty...
1/4" B&D drill. May get the drill index filled up..needed a spot to store all the loose bits, anyway.
Plane was sharpened, chipbreaker tuned up..
May use it, or that #4 behind it to smooth out the panel..
Since it is now out of the clamps...

Three yard sales..and all I got was that metal box:rolleyes:
No sales tomorrow, maybe I can do a bit of sawdust making?
Stay tuned..

Mike Baker 2
04-21-2018, 9:43 PM
I used to own one of those drills. It was old when I got it, and it lasted many years for me.
Puttered around the flea market today. Saw a Corsair plane, probably copy of a Stanley #7. It had cracked in half at the mouth and someone had either brazed or welded it back; couldn't tell for all the rust. $15, but there was no way I was going to take a chance on it for that price.
Bought an older Stanley coping saw, model #39-104. It was missing the piece on the far end of the frame opposite the handle that the pin on the end of the blade locks into. Cost me .50 cents, and I have another one at home that is complete. If I can find a cheaper coping saw I can steal that piece from, I'll have two. I tried to use the piece off of a really cheap one that broke on me a week or so ago, but it was made of pot metal and snapped while trying to tighten the blade. At the very least I go a spare handle for fifty cents.
That 5 & 1/2 is working good, I see.

steven c newman
04-23-2018, 12:58 AM
Had the camera all charged up, and loaded......stomach flu ended that. Might get to the shop by Tuesday? Not even a "Honey-do" got done....maybe later?

Mike Baker 2
04-23-2018, 7:16 AM
Yeeesh! That is going 'round here, too.
Hope it travels through fast and doesn't tarry.
Get well!

steven c newman
04-23-2018, 11:41 AM
Feeling slightly better,today....Yep, it traveled fast...was almost too much to keep up with. Camera was still ready, decided to at least get set up in the shop..
Laid out some toys for use..
Lay out stuff....got the shop stool cleaned off..
And a light adjusted..
Decided to at least try a little sawdust making..
Much easier to saw one board at a time, anyway. Too easy to make a mistake and have the board behind the first one "Amplify" the goof...DAMHIKT...
Saw need a bit of wax on the plate....doesn't take very long to make a cut..5-6 strokes, if that.
Set up a choping block ( doubt if a fancy coping saw could do this job) and had to duck as the chips flew back at me. Hate when the bounce off the glasses...
Used the completed pins to lay out the next section.....and the next, and the....
Out of picture space, continue this story as Part 2..
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
04-23-2018, 11:50 AM
Test fit on the first corner..
Yeah, been a while since I made these, gets better each corner...
After the second side had been chopped, used it to lay out the second corner..
Tried to keep the saw cuts on the waste side of the lines. Chopped these out, and put the three sides ( so far) together dry..
And laid the fourth side on top....tried the bottom panel..
Will trim it to fit inside the box. Nails, no glue...
Need to do this end next. lay out the joints, saw the joints, and chop the waste.
I swept the floor, and called it a day.....for now...depending on how I feel this evening, may do a wee bit more...
Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
04-23-2018, 5:24 PM
Awesome.
Glad you are feeling a bit better!

steven c newman
04-24-2018, 4:42 PM
Ok, spent maybe 2 hours in the shop, before the Boss needed to go to the store....Managed to get a few things done, and made a mess on my clean floor...
Must have done something, to make this mess?

Some of the mess may be a bit small to see...
Got the last corners made, and a dry fit done..
This one was the last of the corners. Seems I got better with each corner...Marked the bottom panel for a slip fit, cut the excess off, planed the saw marks smooth.
Put a couple clamps on to hold things still..
Then sized a piece for a center divider. Used a cut off to check for length..
While I jointed the edges of the divider with a small plane. Moved all this stuff off the bench....have some moldings to mill..
Out of this stuff....rather than mess this up, I used a scrap of plain pine, and drew a pattern to shoot for..
I can make a prototype from this, and use it to set up a couple planes...
That will be in Part 2 of today"s episode....stay tuned..

steven c newman
04-24-2018, 4:55 PM
Ok, Part 2....

laid out a few cutters to make the molding with..
A straight cutter ( wasn't used) a bead cutter, and a custom ground cutter ( by me)....set up the blank on the bench so it won't be moving around. Set up the bead cutter first..
That's Step one. reset the 45 for the next step..
And made Step 2..
Getting there...I decided to use the old #78 for step 3..
Since this is the job it does best. Then I marked a line 3/4" in from the edge of the rebate..
Bandsaw to do a rip cut. Millers Falls to smooth the saw marks out..
Sand it a bit, and set aside....planes were all set up...needed to reset to make one out of the "good" stuff...
One done, have a few more to mill. These will wrap around the bottom of the box....may cut a foot pattern for the corners? Will use the mitre box to cut the 45 degree corners.

Divider needs to set in shallow dados...then maybe think about a couple trays? Then start on making a lid...IF I can get a little time IN the shop....
Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
04-24-2018, 5:04 PM
Nice! Like the molding.
Slip fit? Pretend I know nothing, which isn't far from true. :P

steven c newman
04-24-2018, 9:51 PM
The fit is tight enough it just barely slips into place. Went back to the shop, after Supper had settled, cleaned up a pile of shavings from the earlier work...and promptly started making more shavings...
Rebates weren't too bad in this Fancy Grain Pine....the "Cove" cutter needed sharpened up, was having "issues" with the grain. Left thumb was getting sore, means I was holding this plane about right..
Full length shavings....even sounded better than an electric router..
Got all the sticks of molding done..
Swept up pile #2
Once the floor was cleaned, I called it a night....had enough fun for one day...

Will see what I need to make next...may get the box about ready for a glue up...stay tuned..

Mike Baker 2
04-24-2018, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the explanation.
When I work, I end up having to rake my entire back yard, lol. Bench is out back, outdoors.
I'm working on setting up a very small shop, hopefully in the next two or three months.
Will be a pleasure, I think, just to sweep up after.
I really love that "Fancy Grain Pine". If I ever run across any, I'll make sure to scarf it up if I can.

steven c newman
04-25-2018, 8:54 PM
Dropping back here again, easier to find...more room, too.

Ok, the cussing has begun...enough to make a "Squid" blush:o
Started out decent enough, used a Millers Falls No.8 to flatten out the divider blank..
Then got the box over to the bench, to make a dado to "house" the divider in...Box is 17" long, so the "middle" was...8-1/2" then mark a center point. Then lay out the dado for the divider..
Knifed in the lines. Chisel was ready, decided to backsaw to form the walls of the dado. sawed down until the teeth were below the surface..
Then chiseled out the waste....then the "fun and the cussing began:eek::mad:
Decided to test fit the divider, so dry fitted all the parts....assembly kept trying to fall over.....out came the glue and the clamps..grrrr.
Clamps needed cauls to spread the load a bit....F style clamp and a pair of cauls..vs ...two hands...Finally was able to get things almost clamped down....added a few nails to help hold the divider until the glue sets
Then added a c clamp to re-inforce the nails. I also drove a few nails to hold the bottom in the box...
kept checking for square...checking for square...noticed the one end had bowed in..c clamp and another caul fixed that...
Started to work on a tray
Two rails of plywood, two end pieces, two sides, and a center "handle"...need to cut a plywood bottom to size..
Nail and glue to assemble? Nuttin fancy.

Looks like it will be friday, before the next excursion to the shop....tomorrow is all "booked up"
Maybe I can get the glue up out of the clamps, and cleaned up? Stay tuned..

steven c newman
04-26-2018, 7:03 PM
While waiting on my ride to the Doctor's office this morning..puttered around a bit, before getting cleaned up to go....
Box is out of the clamps.....corners are cleaned up. Molding install......hmmmm...
Some corners weren't too hateful..others?
had a bit of gaposis going on.....
Need to make some feet...maybe "bun" style??
Top? May trim it down a smidge, and add a molding around the top? Make it a lift-out sort of thing..
Rails to hold the tray are being glued into place. Still need to build the tray.....then see about a second one.
Doctor visit? Not really a "good" day...4 types of pills to get....something is aggravating a nerve in the back of the neck....causing headaches, and a stiff neck. They want to get that under control, then deal with a "leaker" inside...May or may not be Parkinson's....find out more in a month...letting the pills work for a while...

Hour ride over there, hour at the place, hour to get back home...don't feel much like going to the shop tonight....maybe tomorrow?
Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
04-26-2018, 8:11 PM
Looking good. I like the moulding around the bottom, not certain about around the top. But it's your banana; you can peel it however you want.
Best wishes on your health. I have a good friend who was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's. Hope it is something much simpler than that. Will continue to pray.

steven c newman
04-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Picked up some tiny hinges today.....Maybe a Hook & Eye latch? No woodworking today....spent half a day at an auction, and then ran around two counties, chasing yard sales and Antique stores. Rather tuckered out.

steven c newman
04-29-2018, 6:45 PM
Wandered down to the shop today...3 hours later, returned to the upstairs....
Cleaned up another saw...wasn't much I could do other than shine the sreel bolts, and remove some of the rust.....was a might pitted. Left a mess on the bench, too.
We have ways..
Jack plane. Tools and a new bottle of glue?
Needed to get all sides the same height...c clamp on one end.
One of the sides slides into a notch. Then glue and these things..
To install the sides onto a plywood bottom...then I worked on the handle's grip.
To get a profile on both sides for fingers to grab onto..
Sanded the spot a bit, to smooth it out..and glue and nails to install a handle..
hand plane and sander to finish the edges...
Rails needed to be wider, or the tray did....was easier to widen the rails..( that is why those clamps are there..
Got out some other toys....have a lid to install...next episode, coming right up
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
04-29-2018, 6:55 PM
OK, episode 2:

Rails were almost dry..

I could take them off..

Hey, it fits!
Ok, toys to install the lid..
First, I planed the better of the two faces flat. And checked the edges, and made sure things were square.

Lid into the vise. Hinges and screws, and a few tools into the tray, so they won't try to walk away..marked spots for the Stanley #41 to drill pilot holes..
Then installed the hinges onto the lid..
Had to hunt everywhere for that little screwdriver...is there a size below #1 Phillips?
Then the hinges were added to the box, with the lid tagging along..
Flipped the box over..
And planed the front edge flush with the front of the box...had a latch to install.
Stay tuned for Episode 3, of today's Follies...:D

steven c newman
04-29-2018, 7:02 PM
Ok. Latch install..
This will do, for now...may go and buy a new one, later.
A little bit of sanding, wipe things done, next?
Golden Oak stain was brushed on...will let dry overnight..
Inside as well...Tray had some stripes...
Close the lid..
Had a mess on the floor to clean up..
Once this was IN the trash can, I called it a day...Maybe tomorrow a coat of Poly Gloss? We'll see....Almost done...

Mike Baker 2
04-30-2018, 7:48 AM
That looks very nice.
There's always a mess on the floor, ain't there?
Your pictures in post #77 all come up invalid attachment for me, but the rest of them show your progress well. I really need to pick up some of that Golden Oak stain. Getting close to finish on a pine project of mine that is way too white.

steven c newman
04-30-2018, 9:26 AM
Sent a Nasty-gram to the Admin....we'll see....all photos I posted in these three episodes were from the SAME computer file! :mad: WHY just the ones from #77??? :confused::mad:
Minwax makes the stain.

All pictures were resized on the same files so that they would fit on this site. I used the same link whenever I post any photos here....why just those 8???? I was trying to get a story across without using the 30 pictures in that file..had to use what told the story best..:confused:
Test shot, see if this arrives...:mad:

Mike Baker 2
04-30-2018, 5:37 PM
Yep, I see it. The photos in #77 show up now, too.

steven c newman
04-30-2018, 7:21 PM
Yep...I had to go back, delete each picture, and repost the same picture..AGAIN.....8 times to get all the photos to show up.

Next latch has been bought. Picked up some brushes to apply the Poly Gloss..

May post a picture when it is done...IF it will post, that is....

steven c newman
04-30-2018, 10:10 PM
Have the latch in the shop..
And have some tools at the ready..
Decided to wait until the varnish is dry..
( PIP time!)
Front view, and...
A corner view. Varnished the insides as well.
Will let it dry a day, and see IF it needs another coat. Then replace the latch, since it SHOULD use the same screw holes as the old one..
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
05-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Ok, second coat has dried, and been rubbed out. Time for the Show & Tell..
Front view, with the new latch..
End view, showing the corner joints, molding details
Raise the lid...for a look inside..
Storage for fasteners, and the tiny screwdrivers (so I won't have to go hunting them again..)
Lift out the "False Bottom" on the left side..more storage.
Then close the lid..
Even you squint at the figure..you can almost see Figures at work....
Box is 18" long-ways, counting the molding, by 8-1/2" wide, front to back. Stands at 4-1/2" tall
One coat of Golden Oak stain, followed by two coats of Gloss Poly. Brass hardware.

I think that will do it, for this build? Been fun...

Mike Baker 2
05-01-2018, 1:25 PM
I love the look of that. IMO it looks like it's been around a bit, but cared for very well. The top especially is lovely.
What do you mean by rubbing out? Do you mean leveling the finish with fine sandpaper and applying wax?

steven c newman
05-01-2018, 1:32 PM
"Polished" up with an old T-shirt....

Mike Baker 2
05-01-2018, 1:55 PM
Ahhh. Thanks. It looks great.

steven c newman
05-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Decided to at least add some handles to the box, to make it easier to pick up. A trip to a Hobby Lobby store was then taken.....
This is not a safe place for me to go to....was just after a pair of those larger handles...
But, when faced with almost an entire aisle of such parts....things could get out of hand very quickly.....
Have a few hinges that could use some screws...
May build a set of small drawers, just to use these handles...
Will use just one of these "medium sized" handles..
To lift the lid.....I got out as fast as I could...still spent over $9.....tain't a safe place to go....