PDA

View Full Version : 10 valuable things I learned this weekend.

Russell Svenningsen
11-14-2005, 3:14 PM
What I learned this weekend:

1. Turning a rough bowl out of a chunk of maple branch is FUN.

2. Turning a rough bowl out of a chunk of maple branch is DANGEROUS.

3. My circa-1940's Beaver lathe needs some upgrades to control the speed(see #2).

4. A hunk of maple branch going at 100,000 rpm hurts when it makes a hasty exit from the lathe's faceplate and hits you in the gut(see #'s 2 and 3).

5. A hunk of maple branch going at 100,000 rpm on the lathe makes that 200 pound machine dance wildly as you grope madly for the "off" switch.

6. Green shavings FLY off the lathe at 100,000 rpm.

7. Green shavings that fly of the lathe running at 100,000 rpm fly into the darndest places and rust tools they lay on all night.

8. Bill Grumbine makes this look very easy. He's very good.

9. It is not. I am awful.

10. Hope springs eternal. I will keep practicing(albeit from behind some sort of concrete bunker wall or something), and will improve(or die trying!).

Best,
Russell "Danger is my middle name"(soon to be "Patient is my middle name") Svenningsen

Bill Stevener
11-14-2005, 3:44 PM
Whow, must be your running a 120v lathe on 480v. :eek:
Bill>>>>>>>>>>>>>:confused:

Tyler Howell
11-14-2005, 3:50 PM
I don't know Russell:confused: , For a guy with a fab new house and shop (which we haven't seen yet.) You are sure racking up the ER time.
Be Careful and post some pix.

PS keep having fun;)

Russell Svenningsen
11-14-2005, 4:29 PM
I don't know Russell:confused: , For a guy with a fab new house and shop (which we haven't seen yet.) You are sure racking up the ER time.
Be Careful and post some pix.

PS keep having fun;)

Tyler,
What you don't know for sure about me, but are certainly able to surmise is that I am, and always have been VERY accident prone. I have had many stitches and one minor amputation(the end of my pinky finger vs. a moving grand piano.........not pretty). I am a big guy who has never grown into his body. My mother worries constantly, my wife just laughs.:p

Pics of the shop will come soon. Almost done getting everything settled.

Russell "My middle name ain't 'Grace' " Svenningsen

Russell Svenningsen
11-14-2005, 4:32 PM
Whow, must be your running a 120v lathe on 480v. :eek:
Bill>>>>>>>>>>>>>:confused:

Of course, I was kidding about the 100,000 rpm. It has three pulleys and I put it on the slowest setting, which is still WAY too fast for an unbalanced turning!:D :D :eek: :rolleyes: Does make the lathe do a nifty jig though!:rolleyes:

I live far out on the risk curve. That's right........I sleep with my socks on.

I drink milk that's past it's expiration date.

I DON'T rewind videos before I return them.

I'm a wild man.

Right,
Russell:o

Andy Hoyt
11-14-2005, 5:05 PM
Yup, he probably ran with scissors at one time too:D

Russ - I've found just what you need to solve your problems.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26355

Ernie Nyvall
11-14-2005, 9:25 PM
[QUOTE=Andy Hoyt]Yup, he probably ran with scissors at one time too:D

I think he still runs with scissors.:eek:

Funny story Russell. Have you recovered from the belly buster?

Ernie

John Hart
11-14-2005, 9:27 PM
Geez Russell...You're just like me!!!!:eek: I feel very sorry for you.

Doug Shepard
11-14-2005, 9:37 PM
Maybe you need to start working in one of these?:D

Loy Hawes
11-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Or one of these. :D

Russell Svenningsen
11-15-2005, 9:32 AM
Golly fellas, those are some interesting outfits............I'm still a little shaken from the "Sumo Tutu"(or would that be a FourFour?:D )

My gut is fine. I'm a little sore, but no broken skin, none the worse for wear. I mounted it back on the faceplate(with longer screws) and got it turned down and balanced nicely. Then I had a bad catch and it tore a chunk out of the bowl. Ah well, practice makes perfect, right?

Chad Pater
11-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Tyler
Pics of the shop will come soon. Almost done getting everything settled.
Russell "My middle name ain't 'Grace' " Svenningsen

Can't wait to see them...I thought by now you would have moved into the high school work shop.:)
Chad